Subscribe Today

Get the Loud Pipes OFF the TRAILS!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Bar It! » February 14th, 2006, 11:56 am

A friend of mine has a drag sled sponsored by DD and Cat. He has routinely ripped off 150++ MPH in 660 feet with it!!!!

One curious thing about it..it is fairly quiet!!!! I've heard trail pipes that are a LOT louder.
Give us this day our daily braaaaaaaap!
Bar It!

Postby Mr.Twister » February 14th, 2006, 4:50 pm

What is your problem people there is nothing wrong with a little noise. I have a 74 sno-twister, 75gpx, 76z, 75z and all of them have open stingers along with all my friends that have canisters. In my town and on the trails around us no body gives a s**t they all like that noise.
Mr.Twister

Postby Yoo » February 15th, 2006, 9:21 am

Do you believe this Mr. Twister?

"In my town and on the trails around us no body gives a s**t they all like that noise."

Scary part is he actually probably believes what he says, then again I was once young and a Demogreenie before I grew up.
Yoo

Postby D-Boom1979440SRX » February 15th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Like I said its a long story He didn't hear me comin but I suppose he could have been deaf but that was funny but I agree. now no one in our family runs pipes any more we build sleeper sleds you can still have just as much fun. Isn't that what it's all about.:Z
D-Boom1979440SRX

Postby yamaha nytro 123 » February 15th, 2006, 2:03 pm

im a teen n i hate the loud pipes puts a rining in my ears n at night when ur trying to sleep it is very annoying
04 yfz450
yamaha nytro 123

Postby D-Boom1979440SRX » February 15th, 2006, 2:13 pm

[quote=Mr.Twister]What is your problem people there is nothing wrong with a little noise. I have a 74 sno-twister, 75gpx, 76z, 75z and all of them have open stingers along with all my friends that have canisters. In my town and on the trails around us no body gives a s**t they all like that noise.[/quote] The old stuff is cool to a certain extent it becomes a problem when people keep buzzin by your house on private property but the private property turns into public trails in the winter. I have a 79 srx its loud but I know when to tone it down. In MN it is going to come down to stock exhaust only becase some yackoff is going to raise hell about how the noise is harming mother earth. we'll probably end up having to pay a fee every year just like our stud sticker and all the other stuff. I like loud but there is a line that is being crossed.
D-Boom1979440SRX

Postby jake_arcticcat » February 17th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Around benito people just wave when you drive buy with a loud sled, my stx has the silencer cut off, i just don't drive as aggresive when im in or around town. But once im out on the trails its wide open from there. Really once you get a helmet on you can't hardly hear them. What for have a fast sled for, if you can't hear it. I'm sure some people here like racing, whats the difference soem drives buy for 2 seconds, unless there reving them out for no reason big deal. Go BIG or Go HOME, Let'r BUCK.
jake_arcticcat

Postby Zert2Rev » February 21st, 2006, 9:42 am

I had a 96 ZRT 600 that was loud stock.
I think Arctic Cat got fined big time for putting out that sled from 1995 till 1998 and had to change the design to make it quieter.
I put on some PSI pipes with there clutch kit and did all the jetting to make this set up work and only gained about 2-3 mph.
And it only made the people next door call the cops on me more.
I then put the stock pipes back on with the same clutch kit and made better times and I didn't have to take 2 Lortabs just to go to sleep.
I still have the stingers hanging on the wall in my garage but thats were there going to stay.
Zert2Rev

Postby Yoo » February 21st, 2006, 2:55 pm

Zert, thanks for hanging up the silencers!
Jake...GO BIG..."Stay home" We don't want your loud pipes on our trails around town or in the forest!
Yoo

Postby craze1cars » February 22nd, 2006, 5:40 am

This thread is still rollin, eh? I just returned from western UP. At a gas station in Bergland, one brand new Mach 1000 SDI pulls in loud as heck. We all had to stop our conversation for that sled, though the 10 others that pulled in we could talk over easily.

He shut it down, one guy (in a different group from mine) yells at him "LOSE THE PIPES, JERK!" Mr. Mach ignores him but then looks at me and says something about how he's had 4 people yell various obscenities at him about his new pipes this trip, and I can see he's visibly agitated about getting hassled, but was putting two and two together. So I just told him politely that I totally agree with the loudmouth, that he simply needs to lose the pipes because they're illegal and rude. He told me he probably would, despite his investment and the fact that he liked them. He was a nice enough guy, but apparently misguided. But people were getting thru to him...

And I'm happy to say that this interchange served as proof that the peer pressure thing actually WORKS on some people. It's also unfortunate proof that some of the aftermarkets are still TOO LOUD. Here we had a 2006 sled, very likely with 2006 aftermarket pipes, that I'm sure was NOT legal. I this guy go on his way without any attempt on my part to report him as he was otherwise respectful, and I felt he was likely to voluntarily go back to stock after the comments he heard on this trip. There's still work to do.

To all the Canadians here who are defending loud pipes, I say go ahead and pipe your sled and be as loud as you want. If it's acceptable and legal there, then I have no problem with that whatsoever. And when I visit, I'll still love riding there and will abide by your rules and respect you. But as has been said many times, we're not talking to you in this post at all so you can stop defending yourselves....we're talking to all users of U.S. trails that run on private land and thru towns & past residences. Loud pipes are NOT welcome here. Ever.
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum