Subscribe Today

Yammy Release...Flop or Not?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby DooSki7c » February 13th, 2006, 12:08 pm

As far as what I see w/ the new Yamahas, the release has been a flop. No sled to compete w/ the Doo 1000's and as far as I'm concerned, the Apex's havn't been as much of a hit as I personally thought they would be. I give Yammy credit for their progress, but don't see a good year if there is no high horsepowered sled released. Ski-doo may shave a few pounds off the Mach, but other than that nothing major. But everyone knows that 08 is going to be a huge change for Doo. So what do you think? Yamaha playing to conservative here?
DooSki7c

Postby MM700 » February 13th, 2006, 1:20 pm

[quote=DooSki7c]As far as what I see w/ the new Yamahas, the release has been a flop. No sled to compete w/ the Doo 1000's and as far as I'm concerned, the Apex's havn't been as much of a hit as I personally thought they would be. I give Yammy credit for their progress, but don't see a good year if there is no high horsepowered sled released. Ski-doo may shave a few pounds off the Mach, but other than that nothing major. But everyone knows that 08 is going to be a huge change for Doo. So what do you think? Yamaha playing to conservative here?[/quote]

Nope...you are totally wrong..we need more new riders in this sport, to keep it alive..smaller sleds, cool looking sleds (or at least more modern looking sleds)with lower price tags, because it will attract younger and new buyers to snowmobiling...Doo did it first with the freestyle last year..Yamaha, IMO one upped em with the phazer this year...a light weight, fun sled.....looks good to me.....Who cares about the Mach Z...Yamaha doesn't...the muscle sled buyers are about 5 percent of the total snowmobile market...the regular joes could care less...So why build a 170 HP sled, that cost $12,000 dollars..that only goes 5- 10 mph faster than the current Apex goes???

No...Yamaha hit a grand slam this year...I bet they sell lots of phazers.
MM700

Postby usedto » February 13th, 2006, 5:19 pm

I concur. I commend Yamaha for partaking a bold marketing move by introducing a lightweight four-stroke sled platform that is reasonably powered and priced for a individuals considering the sport or those shunned by the high-powered and high-priced sleds.

After researching, analyzing, contemplating, and agonizing over the new Phazer, I may have to revise my forum handle from 'usedto' to a word reflecting a return...Finally, after a 10-year hiatus, I may once again be able to enjoy the sport I so cherished previously. Kudos to Yamaha, or dare I say it...SKOL Yamaha! :C
usedto

Postby Yoo » February 14th, 2006, 3:42 am

ONly the future will tell on the success, but my 'crystal ball' shows a lot of people going over to Yamaha. How many years do they have on the others when it comes to 4-strokes?
Just as MM700 said, they are going to grab a 'niche' in the market that BRP had.
I still say that you will see Polaris and Cat come out with a 4-stroke sled like the Phazer in the next couple years.
Don't right off Blade or Redline.
Kudos to Yamaha, you upped the ante again.
Yoo

Postby journeyman » February 14th, 2006, 6:19 am

Yamaha's sales are up 36% this season. Everyone else's combined have gone down that much. Does that tell you anything? Furthermore, they did build a sled that compete's with the Mach Z. The APEX. The Mach's were so poorly tuned out of the crate that alot of Apex's have handled the Mach's. Doo need s to go back to the drawing board. Also I rode a new REV800 HO Reneagade this past week for over 70 miles in the UP. Also rode the APEX. I'll take the Apex any day if this is the Doo's future. I never in my life felt so much vibration from a brand new sled. No thanks.
journeyman

Postby Yamanator » February 14th, 2006, 7:42 am

[quote=DooSki7c]As far as what I see w/ the new Yamahas, the release has been a flop. No sled to compete w/ the Doo 1000's and as far as I'm concerned, the Apex's havn't been as much of a hit as I personally thought they would be. I give Yammy credit for their progress, but don't see a good year if there is no high horsepowered sled released. Ski-doo may shave a few pounds off the Mach, but other than that nothing major. But everyone knows that 08 is going to be a huge change for Doo. So what do you think? Yamaha playing to conservative here?[/quote]

Apparently you missed the part where both box stock and dealer prep Apex beat out the mach in the shootout. Now I and anyone else that has half a brain realizes that the Mach when properly setup and/or modded is the lake king but that takes tweaking. And if you really want the Apex to shine throw a turbo on it. So they already have a "sled to compete with doo 1000's" as you put it. They needed this entry level segment.
Max out or black out.
Yamanator

Postby luvthemud » February 14th, 2006, 8:32 am

not a flop at all, price could be a tad bit lower to really get younger buyers into sledding, but they look fun!
2004 Red Team Arctic F7
luvthemud

Postby Bar It! » February 14th, 2006, 11:45 am

I personally don't care for the looks of the Phazer. But, I didn't like the REV when it first came out, either. Now I want a 600 REV (or a Nitro, if it will fit a real windshield). Maybe its one of those things that "grow" on you.

I bet that the younger crowd will love its look, though.

IMO the Venture Light looks hideous, though:E!! Probably see a few of them towed behind Pontiac Aztecs!!
Give us this day our daily braaaaaaaap!
Bar It!

Postby Bar It! » February 14th, 2006, 12:13 pm

And was hoping to see the Genesis 120 go EFI.
Give us this day our daily braaaaaaaap!
Bar It!

Postby NorthernSkunk » February 14th, 2006, 3:38 pm

who is sayin the phazers won't be expensive....have they listed prices already?
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum