Subscribe Today

2007 Polaris

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

2007 Polaris

Postby soulier03 » March 15th, 2006, 2:14 am

I think polaris is stepping to a better direction with the new sleds, no 900 but big deal, the 700 has 10 less hp but is around 30 less pounds, so its lighter, does not shake and maxsled says it holds its power longer than the 800. Both the 600 and 700 are based off the 440, making it hard accelerating, I own a edge 600 and it blows away my fathers 700 xc in acceleration because the 700 is a bigger block.
I love the colors, the all black is killer, and the rmks with the inside rear idlers and the seats make it look like its got aftermarket parts on it already.
I dont think missing the 900 is going to hurt them, these sleds are going to be nimble and alot of fun to play around with, the only thing is the 700s are spring only and polaris is going to make sure dealers dont order a bunch for people to buy in the winter.
For all you who dont buy new engines the first year, polaris is giving 4 years warrenty, and if you sell you sled befor that it can switch to the next owner as well.
soulier03

2007 Polaris

Postby soulier03 » March 15th, 2006, 4:17 am

My misstake the 700 and 900 fusion (06) weigh 524, the dragon 700 weighs 476, thats a 48 pound diff... not 30
soulier03

2007 Polaris

Postby Ditchski » March 15th, 2006, 4:37 am

I totally agree. I'm actually happy they are focusing on the positives, rather than trying to force products that just aren't working. Adding Cleanfire to the 600's is awesome, and a 700 Cleanfire that's lighter than last year's 600, but 20 more ponies is way hot. I'm sure they're working on a replacement big-bore, but I think their '07's nail the meat of the market.
Ditchski

2007 Polaris

Postby whitedust » March 20th, 2006, 4:09 am

Polaris snowmobile division is very disorganized right now. Heads rolled over the 06 & 05 line up and the 07 line up is a consolidation to minimal models with new engines and discontinued 06 engines and platforms. Their new catalog is computer graphics not actual photographs of new models in action shots. I'm not sure they are ready for 07 manufacturing and are in the middle of an organizational shake up. Snowmobiles are only 15% of the Polaris product total sales which is not that important in the numbers game. I would steer clear of Polaris snowmobiles for another year and see what they do in 2008.If they come back strong in 2008 with a good and complete product line then they will stay in the snowmobile business. Otherwise they have to be considering an exit just like they did with PWCs. If it doesn't seem stable then it probably isn't. If you are a Polaris fan then you do have substantial reason to be concerned based on past business practices to drop out of unprofitable markets. Sorry but it just does not look good for Polaris snowmobiles as the competition is killing them with better product and new designs.
whitedust

2007 Polaris

Postby PRO STK 145 » March 20th, 2006, 9:27 am

I was at the Polaris dealer meeting last week. They made it very clear to the dealers that the are committed to the snowmobile business. That is why they are focusing on the positives in the line up. The 600 Fusion was the #1 selling model in the industry this year. The plan is to build off of that. Hence the 700 Dragon and the 600 Cleanfire. Polaris is not accustom as say Yamaha or Arctic Cat to have a low market share. They plan to be #1 again.
PRO STK 145

2007 Polaris

Postby journeyman » March 20th, 2006, 10:26 am

I personally don't think it will happen. One of the reasons Polaris is disoriented is the fact that the EPA thing is killing them. That's why they are investing heavily into KTM. The four stroke is the future of snowmobiling whether anyone likes it or not. Slowly but surely it's going to take over as the noose tightens. Yamaha is on the move and plans on being #1 too and they are the only mfg. who's sled sales as a whole went up this past season. Good enough to move them into the #2 slot. They are the only mfg. that is solely 4 stroke too. They have a big leg up on everyone. Now they can focus on refining while everyone else is scrambling trying to retool.

The Fusion 600 may have won the 600 shootout, but in the real world they don't perform as advertised. Maybe they have the bugs out of it for next year, but they sure have dropped alot of eggs lately at the consumers expense. The whole Fusion lineup only lasted 2 seasons!! That tells you something right there. They still have a bucket load of 2002 and 2003 sleds in the crate. Not good. These low snow years in the midwest is killing the sled biz. We the consumers are paying for it too. Look at the high cost of the new ones. 10,11,12 grand for a new sled!! Not to mention high gasoline prices.
journeyman

2007 Polaris

Postby PRO STK 145 » March 20th, 2006, 11:07 am

Have you looked at the Polaris retail price list they have 1 machine listed over the $10,000.00 mark. As far as the EPA goes Polaris is building credits now for the future. Yamaha only had 1 way to go in sales and they are not #2.
PRO STK 145

2007 Polaris

Postby whitedust » March 20th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Pro stk 145 : I don't know Polaris has pissed off a lot of people with discontinued platforms and engines in a very short period of time. I once was a Polaris sled owner in the 90's as well but tired of the wedge the evolved the aggressive on & on with no clear direction and I just got fed up and left. I tried AC and quickly decided ski-doo was the best for me and been with ski-doo for 9 years. I talked to current Polaris customers at the LG races and they were using words like pathetic & finished with Polaris sleds due to all the problems with 755 & 900 engines. They did say they liked their Polaris dealers but were done with the product just the same. They were blaming the failures on the product not the dealers. 2007 will not be a good year for Polaris snowmobiles as the base customer has lost faith in the product. This will be a very difficult road for Polaris to hoe if not impossible. When I asked what brand they would buy instead it was always Yamaha 4 stroke. In market shifts some one increases share and someone else loses share. Polaris has the most unhappy customers so they have the most to lose at at time when Yamaha has the product everyone wants. Polaris will not tell dealers they will not be in this business until they pull the plug just like they did with PWCs. No one saw that one coming but it set a precedent for unprofitable product lines. Polaris is no longer a snowmobile company and is an ATV and Motorcycle company first and foremost. If I was a Polaris dealer I would be proactively talking to Yamaha to restore my lost PWC market and ride the market up with their exciting line up of 4 stroke snowmobiles. Dealers would be smart to kiss Polaris off before Polaris leaves them holding the bag and Yamaha will need more dealers to accommodate their expanding market.
whitedust

2007 Polaris

Postby Late Braker » March 20th, 2006, 5:09 pm

[quote=PRO STK 145]I was at the Polaris dealer meeting last week. They made it very clear to the dealers that the are committed to the snowmobile business. That is why they are focusing on the positives in the line up. The 600 Fusion was the #1 selling model in the industry this year. The plan is to build off of that. Hence the 700 Dragon and the 600 Cleanfire. Polaris is not accustom as say Yamaha or Arctic Cat to have a low market share. They plan to be #1 again.[/quote]

I purchased a 2005 fusion 900....This was the first Polaris product I ever purchase and it will be the last... The reason I purchased a Polaris is because of where it is manufactured...All I can say is never ever again...I'll eather be going back to Ski-Doo or going with Yami....

I hope someone from the factory reads this because I also beleave they are in deep **** when it comes to there snowmobile's

Polaris can kiss my all American
Late Braker

2007 Polaris

Postby Jpak 7p » March 20th, 2006, 6:16 pm

It's funny how everyone jumps ship over a couple of bad years. But then again, I would have to agree, since the 755 and 900 were a joke. But what about all those years Polaris was cranking out great sleds, and the competition was cranking out the equivalent of 755 and 900?? Back in 1998, I purchased a XC700, and my buddy purchased a Formula III 700. My sled is still rocking with over 6,000 miles. The Formula III had to have the crank bearings replaced at a little over 2,000 miles. So the 755 and 900 are dogs, and have vibration issues, are they blowing engines like the early Mach Z's (1993), the MXZ 800's that had piston and ring problems. How about the chassis, are they cracking and falling apart like Arctic Cats??? Either way you look at it, Polaris still can put out a decent sled. I will not be jumping ship over a couple of bad years. Look back at the 1990's, Polaris started losing ground with there junk Storm, XCR600 & XCR700. Then all of a sudden, they changed the industry with the release of the twin XC600 and XC700. Then did it again with the release of the Edge chassis. Just like Yamaha is doing today with their 4-strokes. Polaris has done it in the past, and I believe they will turn this ship around in the near future. Maybe I am a little optimistic, but with the 2007 lineup, I believe they are heading in the right direction.

Look at the direction they have went with the RMK, do you actually think a Yamaha will beat the RMK Dragon in the mountains??? Pound for pound, I doubt a Yami 4-stroke will be able to match the RMK Dragon. Yes, some might say the 700 motor is unproven, but is it?? The new Dragon motor is similar to the older 700's, with the exact same bore and stroke. The crank is already proven from the 440 and 600.

Plus, Polaris is expanding there technology by teaming up with other manufacturers such as KTM and Orbital injection. It will be a hard road back for Polaris, but not impossible. At least they are recognizing the problems, taking a step back, and trying to make the right changes by focusing on the positives, and dropping the negatives. It will take a few years, Yamaha might end up #1 for a while, and Polaris will gain/retain ground into the #2 spot in 3-5 years. I doubt Polaris will shut down the snowmobile division. Especially when looking at the direction of Ski-Doo and AC. Ski-Doo is doing the exact same thing as Polaris a few years back, by sitting on there current lineup with only small refinements. As for AC, they have never really threatened to take over as sales leader over the last decade or two, and the new Arctic Cat look isn't winning over any new customers.
Jpak 7p

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum