Subscribe Today

Hand Signals

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Hand Signals

Postby Lynn Keillor » November 6th, 2001, 5:35 am

In the most recent issue of Snowmobile Magazine, I posed a few questions about hand signal use - questions on which I'd love some feedback.

When I'd returned from a week-long group tour, my boss got a letter from a group participant saying I never used hand signals. I was really surprised at this, since I use hand signals all the time.

I started thinking about the official hand signals, what they mean and when to use them, and suddenly I had more questions than I realized. We even had a couple office debates on who, when and how to signal.

So I'd like to pose a few of those questions to the online readers:

1. Do you and your riding partners have special signals?

2. Where are the most signal-concious places you've ridden? (and the least, too)

3. If two separate groups are following each other, who gives the "Last in line" signal? The people at the end of each group, or the person at the end of the long line?

4. Are right turn and left turn signals only for intersections or do they apply at trail turns?

I'm interested in your feedback,

Thanks,

Lynn Keillor
Lynn Keillor

Hand Signals

Postby BLADEGUY » November 6th, 2001, 5:40 am

A)I always thought our signals were 'standard'. Stop, turn, how many left in the group.

2. Where are the most signal-concious places you've ridden? (and the least, too)

A) All seem the same.

3. If two separate groups are following each other, who gives the "Last in line" signal? The people at the end of each group, or the person at the end of the long line?

A) I usually indicate how many people I know are behind me. Its a warning. I don't want someone to think there is nobody coming when I know there is. In practice, I see it both ways.

4. Are right turn and left turn signals only for intersections or do they apply at trail turns?

A) Only at intersections. Obviously if the trail goes left, I'm going left.
I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.
BLADEGUY

Hand Signals

Postby Luv2sled » November 6th, 2001, 6:15 am

I have always wondered about signaling how many people were behind you. What's a guy to do when there are twelve sleds behind him? Put both feet up as well as ten fingers?--that could get dangerous.
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

Hand Signals

Postby Drifthopper » November 6th, 2001, 7:07 am

Hand signals are good if you are signaling someone who recognizes them.
sometimes you use hand signals and the other passing rider just waves back.
In Western N.Y. hardly anyone uses them.
Only rarely do passing riders signal, Most wave though.
Support your local club!
www.drifthoppers.com
Drifthopper

Hand Signals

Postby tnt8000 » November 6th, 2001, 7:10 am

1. No not really

2. i really don;t know

i try to travel as one group and we stop at every trun and make sure everyone is there... they way i see it is the person in front is responsible for the person behind them and so on

no just tap your break light like a ticker
2 sleds
30 000km combined
thats a hell of alot of real world riding!
tnt8000

Hand Signals

Postby CatmanZR800 » November 6th, 2001, 7:20 am

Luv2sled,

What we do when there are more people than there are fingers is double pump your fingers for the count and then show the single digits. For instance: if there are twelve in the group, I double pump (flash five fingers twice quickly) for 10, then flash two fingers to equal 12. Never let go of the handle bars with the throttle hand! Always stay in control of your speed.
WARNING! Cats are meat eaters!
CatmanZR800

Hand Signals

Postby michahicks » November 6th, 2001, 8:06 am

I would agree on most of the replies as to how the hand signals are being used. In the case where there are a lot of people behind me, we may be running 50mph as we pass in opposite directions. I just flash 5 a couple times. Doesn't make sense to try and tell people at that speed there are 25 guys in back of me, when all they need to know is there are a bunch of us. I figure if everyone else is doing that in back of
me, until we get down to the last few where it would revert back to normal, everone going by in the opposite direction will be able to figure it out. A lot of times they will just pull over and watch as we all pass by. It's great. The one we just started using a little more is in a passing situation. Say I am passing someone with 2 sleds in back of me soon to pass the same person. When I am safely past the person I am passing, I would signal for 2, meaning there are 2 more behind me.
Usually this will cause person being passed to slow and move over as far as possible easing the job of the people following me. Works great. Makes it much easier and safer at the same time. Ride northern part of lower Mich., hand signals are quite common, never fail to cause a grin and a mental hello to a fellow pro rider. I've noticed the busyer a trail is, the more common the hand signals are. Honestly though, everyone could forget them all except for the RIGHT arm(this leaves the left one free for stoping) going up indicating you are stopping or slowing for whatever reason. I think the lack of that signal would be the one that causes the most accidents. Hopefully you can signal and maintain control of your sled. If not, forget the signal and drive til you can signal with some degree of safety. It's still a case of common sense.
AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Hand Signals

Postby 89Indy500_sp » November 6th, 2001, 10:29 am

Luv2sled,

in our group we just hold up 5 fingers till it get to the fith person then to 4 so on and so forth.
My 2003 REV 800 Sport... my baby
[img]http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album762/snonews.thumb.jpg[/img]
700 miles this season!
89Indy500_sp

Hand Signals

Postby Andymxz600 » November 6th, 2001, 10:30 am

Just a hard point down at the ground if there is something that might not be seen by the person following, usually a rock, post, or hole.

No difference noticed.

Rarely is anyone on our tail! But if I know there is a group within 15-20 seconds behind I'll put up 5 fingers and let the leader of the second group signal how many are following.

Only for intersections. Watch the sledder in front of you for trail turns!

If there are more than five behind me, I just hold up five. Everyone in the group should know their position and signal accordingly - when fourth from last is passed the finger count down can start.

*This Message was edited on 06-Nov-01 03:34 PM by Andymxz600*
Andymxz600

Hand Signals

Postby polarisman415 » November 6th, 2001, 10:45 am

I always say how many sled I think are behind me
The last person in you groupe should see if there is anymore people behind them and if not give them the fist.
The XCR800 Kicks ass
polarisman415

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum