Subscribe Today

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

Postby 600hp srx » November 14th, 2001, 6:33 am

I heard that ski-doo is coming out with a 1200cc sled. Fact or fiction?
BOW DOWN TO THE KING OF SPEED
600hp srx

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

Postby Da Husky » November 14th, 2001, 6:36 am

Their four-stroke is around a 1000cc, could have been the one you heard of.
KEG (Keweenaw Engineering Group)
Making things work that most thought wouldn't (most of the time;)
Da Husky

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

Postby X-Team » November 14th, 2001, 6:45 am

yeah, I heard about the fourstroke... which kinda makes me mad... a lot of the summer vehicles are going to four stroke, I don't want to see snowmobiles go to four stroke :(
Ski-doo... I Like Snow...
X-Team

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

Postby michahicks » November 14th, 2001, 7:32 am

Can't help but wonder why anyone would not want a four stroke, assuming similar power to weight ratios? Have 2 Yamaha quads, 1 Banshee(2 stroke twin), 1 warrior(4 strokes single).They are very similar machines with the same displacement. Banshee makes much more power, but the Warrior isn't as noisey and has a much wider power band so it doesn't require as much work to maintain proper gear usage. Both are very popular machines, but the newer machines, for the most part, are 4 strokes. For those of you that don't know they handle much like a sled (only much dirtier!). Don't get me wrong here, I'm definetly a performance nut, don't own a sled that's not a triple, smallest is a 650. My point is, I can't wait to get on a machine with a 4 stroke engine that would have similar performance to my 800 XCR!
AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

Postby Da Husky » November 14th, 2001, 8:28 am

The four-stroke issue is a controversal one for sure. I have put a good number of miles on a cat four stroke and another custom built one(95hp), they definatly don't have the performance appeal of your average sled, but they do have a niche. Although, if the EPA proposed regulations go into affect many of the 2006 model year sleds will not have today's two stroke engines in them. Then when the 2010 regulations take affect the manufacturers will have to use DI two strokes, four strokes, or some other form of powerplant for their non race specified sleds. Four years isn't that far away, my sled is over three years old.

*This Message was edited on 14-Nov-01 01:43 PM by Da Husky*
KEG (Keweenaw Engineering Group)
Making things work that most thought wouldn't (most of the time;)
Da Husky

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

Postby msoukup » November 14th, 2001, 8:34 am

i don`t know why anybody would whant a 4 stroke for anything but around home riding. They just don`t have anything good about them except for emitions and fuel. When the market finally has to convert to 4 strokes nobody will buy one without a hell of a lot of hesitance. Hopefully they will come out with a comperable 4stroke engine or some new system on 2strokes to reduce their emissions.
snowmobiling is not a sport. It is a way of life.
msoukup

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

Postby snowthrower » November 14th, 2001, 3:36 pm

Just give it time they have the technology to make them four strokes rip. I race motocross and have race several new four strokes. They are not like the old days. These thumpers rock. I personally own a 2 stroke, just because I like the snap of the power band. My friend has that new KTM 520 and this thing pulls like a tractor. I holeshoted each moto I race in with this thing. I have also raced the yamaha 400 and 426. I must say just give the sled manufactures time and they will make those four strokes fly, especially if they mandate them. Sells will drop due to the fact that there slow so the manufactures will make em better and faster......
snowthrower

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

Postby Jim85IROC » November 15th, 2001, 2:32 am

I have a bad feeling that sleds are going to go through a rough period just like autos went through in the 70s when they had the emissions issue to deal with. I think that sleds will rebound faster because we've got a lot more technology than the auto industry had in the 70s, but there will still be a learning curve.

Does anybody have any actual statistics that show what percentage of the country's pollution problem is caused by sleds? I'm willing to bet that lawn mowers are a substantially higher polluter than sleds, but because all of the tree huggers have a lawn mower but not a sled, then it's the sleds that they're attacking.
Jim85IROC

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

Postby michahicks » November 15th, 2001, 3:05 am

I'm hardly a tree hugger, but if you've spent any time on a sled running in a heavily traveled area
on a calm day (major intersections,junctions, in the woods especially), the smoke just kinda forms a haze that can hang over a large area. It's easy to see the cause for concern. No point in keeping your head in the sand over it. There is a lot of development work going on in the background, both on the 2 stroke and 4 stroke technology. Did you see that Bombardier bought OMC (Johnson-Evinrude)? That would make them the owner of the major development work that OMC has been doing over the last few years for outboards. I would imagine that technology should be fairly easy to adapt to our chosen sport (why else would they bother with them?). I'm sure there are going to be some mistakes put on the market, just as I'm sure there are going to be neat developments in the performance arena. Like I said earlier, I'm looking forward to it. I think as long as the market for sleds hangs in there, producing decent revenue for the manufactures, we are going to see
them bringing out product that will be right on the mark, just as they have for the past couple years.
AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

AND YET ANOTHER RUMOR...

Postby BANDITS SRX » November 15th, 2001, 3:10 am

I'm not sure with the rumor about ski-doo is ture but as far as the four stroke goes they will be fine. I can tell most of you have little time on four stroke ATV,Outboards or moto-X bikes. I would take a Raptor over a Banshee. I would take a four stroke outboard over a two stroke or DI anyday. I have used all three types of outboards engines so don't tell me what you read about DI because it does not work as well as four strokes for outboards. If you don't believe me just ask a OMC owner with a DI system. The MX is a little differnt because you are racing but in most cases you would be very impressed with the four stroke MX bikes on the market today. Also the ATV market has gone away from two strokes before reg. made them because they work better then two strokes for this type of product.
BANDITS SRX

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum