Subscribe Today

sled sagging bottoming out

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby indy500 » November 21st, 2001, 4:50 am

my 98 indy was not used much before i got it from my brother it was stored in a parking gerage, after a season of rding it was bottoming out, the shock shaft(indy select) was rusted and pitted, so thats gone, but i was told the shock had nothing to do with the rear end saging,could mt springs be gone that fast, with only like 2000 miles
98 indy 500,
indy500

Postby Mainecat » November 21st, 2001, 5:18 am

Its the combination of both probably. The shock needs to be replaced or recharged and the springs need to be replaced too. Springs are under 40.00 US each. The springs should last more than 2000 miles but if someone who rides it is heavy they sack out sooner.
Mainecat

Postby Snotcicles » November 24th, 2001, 9:37 am

Maincats right, but also you can't expect the springs to hold the rear up all the way, I mean even new springs are going to let the rear drop some. Thats the way it's suppose to be. That way you don't get a hard "topping out" on rebound extension. Also don't compare your machine to the new tilted tunnel designs because they show so much rear track you will think your rear skid is stuck in the bottomed position.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

Postby snoduke » November 24th, 2001, 3:21 pm

maybe you gained some wieght. Just kidding
snoduke

Postby ZR500PA » November 24th, 2001, 10:54 pm

The shock is gas charged and this gives lift too, So if the gas was going so was some of the lift.
ZR500PA

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum