Subscribe Today

Surge Disc Brakes vs. Electric Drum on trailers

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby DeepSnow » November 29th, 2001, 4:10 am

Has anyone has experience with the new surge disc brakes? I am getting ready to get another trailer and I am getting brakes and would naturally choose electric. Right now, Triton offers only drum electric brakes and reserved the disc brakes for the surge only. You pay more for the surge brakes too, because they are disc. Triton says the new surge brakes are 3 times as effective. I would rather not mess with the adjustments, extra wiring, and increase drum brake maintenance if the surge brake performance is good.

*This Message was edited on 29-Nov-01 09:11 AM by DeepSnow*
When days get shorter, nights get colder, snow gets deeper, life gets better!
DeepSnow

Postby ZRT800 » November 29th, 2001, 6:31 am

I have surge brakes on my landscape trailer. Well had until the lines rotted out (don't carry enough weight to need brakes so I didn't fix them). I would go with electric. Surge brakes are handy, but I found it a rough ride. When the tow vehicle slows down the tongue moves forward, compressing brake fluid & activating the brakes. When you take off the tongue slides back. I'm only talking about 1/2" of travel, but that's enough to jerk you around a little. When backing up, up hill (as into most driveways) you must get out & put a pin into the tongue to keep it from activating the brakes. Electric brakes seem much more convenient! When my surge brakes were working, the wheels tended to lock up. I was only carrying about 2 thousand pounds of lawnmowers, but that's alot heavier than a couple of sleds. I wouldn't buy surge brakes again. Now with electric, you get all the hassles of wiring, & sled trailer wiring takes enough of a beating from salt as it is.
Who said Cats can't swim?!?
ZRT800

Postby zr » November 29th, 2001, 8:55 am

I would also go with electric brakes. Think about this, surge brakes work when the tow vehicle stops and the trailer continues its forward momentum, thus compressing the piston in the tongue and actuating the brakes. If you are on ice, your vehicle can not stop and allow this to happen. Another nice thing is with electric, you can put them on manually which is useful. The only downfall is the cost for the brake controller.
zr

Postby Snosport » November 29th, 2001, 10:48 am

I just redid the electric brakes on my 3 year old Floe 4 place trailer. After 3 years and maybe after only 2 years (not sure because I didn't need to trailer last year)the brakes were completely shot. the wires coming out the back were broken on 3 out of 4 and they were all so badly rusted that they were basically junk. I bought the brakes assembled on the backing plates and replaced them by taking out the 4 bolts that held the backing plate to the axle. When I reassembled the brakes, I used stainless steel nuts and antisieze on the threads so hopefully it will come apart easier next time. I emailed Floe about the poor quality of their brakes and they mailed me some new Floe literature. I guess they sell a top of the line trailer that they recommend replacing every 3 years. I don't know if anything is available with a corrosion resistant finish on the brake components, but they seriously need to improve on this. The brake components are unpainted and the new ones had rust on them sitting on the shelf. No way stuff like this is going to stand up to the road salt that is encountered when trailering in the winter.
Snosport

Postby Snoguy » November 29th, 2001, 11:06 am

Just my opinon, but with electric brakes you have more control (they work off of electric signal) as soon as you hit your brakes they are working. Plus you can adjust how heavy or strong your brakes go on from the cab of tow vehicle)adjustable) I tow a 5500 lb empty trailer for work and like the ability to change brake power from empty(5500lbs) to 12000 heavy. Just my 2 cent's. the idea of waiting for trailer to compress brake fluid is too long in crowded(heavy traffic) is nerve-racking.
Snoguy

Postby Ridblu » November 29th, 2001, 1:02 pm

DISC ALL THE WAY!!

Drums are very hard to adjust, and surge are basiclly maintence free.
Ridblu

Postby Ridblu » November 29th, 2001, 1:08 pm

By the way, what size is your trailer?? Enclosed or not??
Ridblu

Postby ROTALARIS » November 29th, 2001, 2:41 pm

I tow an enclosed US CARGO trailer everday during the summer months. the electric brakes are the way to go. very easy to adjust and when you back up a hill the sliding motion of the trailer doesnt apply the brakes. next week the paving equipment comes out and the sleds get a new winter home ROT.
READY-SET-SNOW! 2 many sleds not enough time!
ROTALARIS

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum