Subscribe Today

Polar Exhaust Pipe Help

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Polar Exhaust Pipe Help

Postby geminiblue5 » December 1st, 2001, 10:59 pm

I have oil spitting out of exhaust pipe connector back onto the front of the engine. Happens only when accelerating, not at idle. Took muffler off and cleaned connection good, everything looks o.k.. Is there a type of seal missing, do the exhaust pipe springs stretch out and need to be replaced? Someone suggests adjusting the torque stop. I'm not sure if this sled even has one, and if so where it's at. (sled 00 SuperSport) Appreciate any suggestions/expertise. Thanks!
geminiblue5

Polar Exhaust Pipe Help

Postby HammeringHank » December 2nd, 2001, 11:52 am

Your torque stop is on the clutch side down on the front of the tunnel. On my 99xc600 it is adjusted to .020 inch. The only reason I know this is that somehow the rivets sheared off and the darn thing took out a belt and my secondary clutch. I don't know how that haappened, but they are bolted on the new 600's. Hum?
HammeringHank

Polar Exhaust Pipe Help

Postby ostapowich » December 3rd, 2001, 1:17 am

pull the pipe apart again,and this time give the fitting a liberal dose of high temp sealant loctite copper is a good one.
let it sit for at least 24 hrs,and then you'll be oil free
torque restrainer has nothing to do with oil in your pipe. it just keeps your motor from trying to pull it's way out of the sled,a tight motor sends power to the track and stops it from getting used up in flex.
ostapowich

Polar Exhaust Pipe Help

Postby geminiblue5 » December 5th, 2001, 11:23 am

ostapowich - Info came in handy, Loctite sealer did the trick, smoked a little at first but no more oil on engine. The only type of torque stop I could see was on the clutch side under carb. This rubber stop does have a jam nut stud on it, and it was tight against engine. Will leave that alone. Where's the cold weather???
geminiblue5

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum