Subscribe Today

aftermarket filters

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

aftermarket filters

Postby hilldweller » December 6th, 2001, 1:19 pm

Am thinking about removing the airbox on my 2002 zr800 and installing K&N filters. Anyone ever used them? Are there real performance gains over the stock box? Also, how far up did you have to adjust your main jets?
2002 ZR800 CCE (carbed)
hilldweller

aftermarket filters

Postby Xtreme XC » December 6th, 2001, 1:34 pm

Personally, I wouldn't be putting air filters on unless you are heavily modded. I used UNI filters on my sled last year (700 twin, SLP head, twin pipes, ported) and was a mess to tune. Deffinatly will need higher jetting (at least 3 sizes up) and needle setting changes. your gain wouldn't be more than 3hp probably and I don't think it's worth the headaches on a fairly stock motor.
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/buddypaw/smallpic.jpg[/IMG]
Xtreme XC

aftermarket filters

Postby swissbliss » December 7th, 2001, 12:46 am

DONT INSTALL THEM ,THEY SAY YOU GET MORE POWER ,BUT IT MADE MY SLED GO SLOWER AND I JETTED LIKE THEY SAID TO.YOUR ENGINE ALSO BREATHES IN THE WARM AIR OFF THE PIPES WHICH PROBABLY MADE MINE GO SLOWER.I WOUND UP GUTTING MY AIR BOX AFTER THAT AND IT GOES FASTER THAN EVER!
jamie stancil
swissbliss

aftermarket filters

Postby straycat » December 7th, 2001, 12:51 am

I also use the filters. I use the filters that you can get from Aaen. (same as k&n a little cheeper thoe) I did notice better throttle response in the lower to mid range. But I can say it is not a snap your neck differance.
I have twin pipes, ported cylinders, and head reshape+grind also. I went up 3 jets sizes for the pipes and 2 for the filters. I had to move the needle jet up two clip holes also.
After finding the main jet size I then went to tune the power jet circut. (main jet + power jet x 1.5 = total main before power jet)
If you plan on using filters you better plan on 1 hole day to get your carbs dialed in. carb tunning is kind of a black art so all you can do is take the stock settings and go from there.
start on the rich side too! if you dont you can run the risk of engine burn down! this is expensive!
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum