Subscribe Today

New Handheld GPS!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

New Handheld GPS!

Postby 2NEW2002 » December 8th, 2001, 4:13 pm

Anyone using a GPS? What kind? Any one better than the next? Is it worth paying extra for the mapping features? Anyone know of snowmobile maps for MN, MI, or WI for any of the units.

Looking to buy one and I figured someone on here would have a suggestion or at least an opinion. Thanks for the info in advance.
Brand? Who cares! Just don't be late, the trailers loaded and we're leavin!!!
2NEW2002

New Handheld GPS!

Postby Maniac » December 9th, 2001, 1:44 am

I'd recommend anything Garmin, but that's just my preference.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

New Handheld GPS!

Postby St. Zenon Zero » December 9th, 2001, 3:00 am

I agree, anything garmen. The basic unit is all you need. All the extras you'll pay a bunch for and never use.
St. Zenon Zero

New Handheld GPS!

Postby Blue Yami » December 9th, 2001, 4:46 am

I have a Garmin 12 and I highly recommend it. It is easy to use and the batteries will last quite a while. It also gives you Max Speed which is a nice option. Go with Garmin, you won't be sorry!
Blue Yami
www.mogulmashers.com
Blue Yami

New Handheld GPS!

Postby Exjake » December 9th, 2001, 5:52 am

I just received a Garmin 12 as a gift. I don't know how to use it yet, but it looks easy to use and has lots of features.It would be helpful if some one can give me some hints for a beginer.
Exjake
Exjake

New Handheld GPS!

Postby NHcat » December 9th, 2001, 6:24 am

Are there GPS models out there w/ snowmobile trail maping programs? I would be interested in ME. NH. VT. or Quebec.Any info would be great.
NHcat

New Handheld GPS!

Postby RIGGS » December 10th, 2001, 2:30 am

Garmin 12XL.
The XL has a better antenna thingy than the reg. 12. The XL will be less apt to blank out on you if you put the GPS in your jacket or in your seat, it has better reception under heavy tree cover ect...
[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/trumannsdad]My web page[/url]
RIGGS

New Handheld GPS!

Postby 02Xc600Sp » December 10th, 2001, 11:15 am

I have a Garmin e-trex and it works great. I have a hard time getting a reception when it's in my pocket though. Then again I don't know if any work when there in your pocket. I would recommend it to anyone.
02Xc600Sp

New Handheld GPS!

Postby GisMap » December 12th, 2001, 4:50 am

I've been using GPS for years. I like Magellan the best. I just bought a new one for the sole purpose of it's mapping features. Magellan now has a line of Meridian Handhelds. They have a 16 Meg basemap. It will show Mjr. Rds, Mnr. Rds, lakes, rivers, streams, points of intrest, trails, elevation contours, 2000 track points that will keep track of you for around 200 miles!!,and much more. You can purchase software and download just the area your going too for anywhere in the US as well. They are very user friendly and easy to read. I mount mine on the dash of of my sled. What ever you get make sure you are farmiliar with it. If you get turned around out in the middle of "somewhere" you won't have much patience with some electronic gaget. (www.magellangps.com)
GisMap

New Handheld GPS!

Postby Jim Dandy » December 12th, 2001, 5:18 pm

I have the Magellan MAP 330. I really like the street map feature when travelling, but hate the small screen (they all are sub-par there). I have never had an issue with loosing signal, just the initial connection when travelling at speed. The nice feature is the downloaded map of any region I choose. The minor (& major) highways of USA are always loaded. Overall I am happy with the unit.
Where is the $%&*ing snow!?!?!
Jim Dandy

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum