Subscribe Today

New Tracks

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

New Tracks

Postby VIPER02 » December 21st, 2001, 11:26 am

I was just wondering if new tracks would stretch and need to be adjusted (tightend? And if so how can you tell when they need to be adjusted, and how hard are they to tighten, and what about special tools to due the job? Should it be brought to a dealer for this?
VIPER02

New Tracks

Postby Maniac » December 21st, 2001, 11:43 am

New tracks stretch, but only once. Tighten at rear, should be two bolts at rear of suspension on the last group of idler wheels, one on either side. Just tighten them evenly and you'll be all set.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

New Tracks

Postby ZRT800 » December 21st, 2001, 11:44 am

It will stretch a bit. It's very simple to tighten. A bolt on each side at the back of the skid with a couple nuts on it. should be 1 - 1 1/2 inch of play with 20 pounds pressure. Lift sled hang a 20 pound weight on the bottom of track & measure play between track & skid. Just make sure the track is aligned!
Who said Cats can't swim?!?
ZRT800

New Tracks

Postby VIPER02 » December 21st, 2001, 11:46 am

when you say aliagned is there a special way to do so or just make sure it centered and straight?
VIPER02

New Tracks

Postby VIPER02 » December 21st, 2001, 11:49 am

i was told to check it around a 100 miles or so
VIPER02

New Tracks

Postby barjv » December 22nd, 2001, 9:13 am

when you check allignment you should put the back on a stand then spin the track several turns. Do not hit the brake.Check for same distance between your slides and your track clips on both sides. If it isnt even tighten or loosen one side or the other until you reach the point where it is alligned and has proper tension.
barjv

New Tracks

Postby Snosport » December 22nd, 2001, 11:51 pm

I run the track until I start to hear some slap, then I tighten it. If you run as loose as possible, there is less rolling resistance, better mileage, less stress on bearings, etc. One of the benefits of the extra pivot arm on the rear suspension, Cat calls it the Torqe Sensing Link and Polaris uses the same thing, is that they claim you can run less track tension. If you have studs, you want to run tighter. Nobody mentioned that you should loosen the rear axle bolts when you adjust track tension or alignment. I use a 6" steel ruler to measure the distance from the edge of the track to the rear idler wheel. When I get the same reading on both sides the track is aligned properly. Make sure that you use loctite on the axle bolts when you are finished.
Snosport

New Tracks

Postby Hairball » December 23rd, 2001, 7:17 am

If this is a new sled let the dealer do that for you it usually is part of the breakin period post check. That way if something goes wrong then it will be covered under warranty.
May Peace be with you when my snowdust is in you face!
Hairball

New Tracks

Postby ZR500PA » December 23rd, 2001, 8:48 am

The best thing to do is read the manual that came with your sled. It has alot of good tips for maintance on you sled,I think it will tell you to put 500 miles on the sled and then check the track for tension and alignment. Most tracks take a set and then they go a long time between ajustments.
ZR500PA

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum