Subscribe Today

SkiDoo Triple/Triple Crank Failures

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby FrustratedDooer » January 3rd, 2002, 1:17 am

Anyone out there that had a crank failure on a 96,97,98 ski doo triple/triple please e-mail or respond to my posting. If you had any luck getting ski doo to stand behind their f@$k up plese share the info so others may benefit. I am a die hard devoted ski dooer, but my pride has definately been hurt and I am currently jaded towards my second love (Bombardier) at how she has disappointed me. Ski Doo definately had design flaws in the 96,97,98 Mach-1 and F-III triple/triples and they knew it. They sent out service bulletins to the dealers , but didn't recall the sleds or even send out service warnings to the owners of therse sleds. Worse yet when they blow up (not if, but when) they left tens of thousands of once satisfied dooers, hanging out to dry. I find this pretty ironic for a company reputed to be the industry leader to do something like this, they don't even give the replacement parts for free or even at a discounted price, so not only are they f@$#ing us customers, they are making money off of their own engineering screw ups. Enough bithching by me, it's time to hear the concensus of the masses. If we can get together enough people together, I will see what I can do to get Ski Doo to right their what harm their erroneous judgement has caused their reputation, and see if we can't all feel satified in their resolution.

*This Message was edited on 03-Jan-02 06:19 AM by FrustratedDooer*
FrustratedDooer

Postby MXZinger » January 3rd, 2002, 2:28 am

I'm surprised skidoo won't help you. Advise, go get a MX Z twin.
Trash Talkers: Home of the "Count the dead Arctic Cats contest"
MXZinger

Postby Maniac » January 3rd, 2002, 3:46 am

I bought a '96 F-III this year. Asked on this board and found out that yes, the motors have a manufacturing defect. An oiler hole left out for the PTO side (clutch side) bearing. Called up my local Doo dealer.
"Yes, it is a known problem. Yes we know how to fix it. No we won't do it for free. It'll cost you around $250, takes 3 hours shop time."
I haven't brought it in yet, but as soon as my manual comes in I was going to strip it down and bring them the bottom end in.
I have no idea why they didn't recall this, safety issue or not, if I paid $10,000 CDN when it was new and blew a bearing I would have blown a gasket!!!
Let me know if you get a dealer to do it for free, or post any letters you may get from Bombardier, Rotax or Ski Doo.
Good Luck!!!
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Postby snodrifter » January 3rd, 2002, 9:54 am

I've got a 97 Grand Touring with a 700 triple-triple. Talked to my dealer about it today and he to confirmed a problem with outer pto bearing. He felt on the average they go at about 3000 miles--Guess what-I have 3200 miles now. So far it's ok but now I'm nervous. I looked at a old case and am thinking of drilling a small hole at an angle and try to get between the two bearings. Then maybe I can put a T fittin the oil line and attach to a fitting in the hole I just drilled. I'm hoping to keep the metal shavings out by using grease on the drill bit and tap. WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK---WILL IT WORK? Hoping to hear some suggestions. I ride way back into the toolees alone with this sled and do NOT want to walk back
Thanks
snodrifter

Postby TurboPaws » January 3rd, 2002, 10:53 am

Hay..heard about the ' 98 mxz 500cc twin that eats lower bearings...my dealer said I needed to bring it in...and he turned up the oil injection unit..Yep..More oil,,More smoke..I sold it and bought a 2001 600cc formula..wife just loves it...
TurboPaws

Postby Maniac » January 3rd, 2002, 11:32 am

I think the grease may just burn off or fly off.
I was going to attempt it myself, but I think I'll just let the dealer do it, save my receipt and pray that a recall will eventually happen and hope for a full refund.
Good luck, and if you do try it yourself, let me know how you make out!
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Postby ZR800XC » January 3rd, 2002, 12:11 pm

Doo won't do it for free...they didn't even do mine for free under warranty. Said it was "lack of maintanance"??? NOT all triples were effected, you can tell externally if your case has a lube hole. AND if you drill your own hole, make sure and angle it so it drips right on the side of the outer bearing, it will do no good to have it right in the middle of the two bearings. Email me at ovalracin@hotmail.com if you would like pix on how to diagnose your cases and drilling info...the size of bit to use is 3/16"

Because of this screw up on doos part and a dealer mechanic insulting my mechanical knowledge infront of a storefull of people, I now ride Cat, and I have had no problems in 3 years with them!

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Postby snodrifter » January 3rd, 2002, 1:06 pm

How about someone posting SKI DOOs E mail address. I'd like to express my opinion and hope everyone else will do the same. I've been brand loyal since 1966-that SHOULD be worth something
snodrifter

Postby shoman » January 3rd, 2002, 2:40 pm

You don't drill in from the outside, that is crazy. The engine has to be taken down. There is a dimplie on there where the hole is to be drilled, then you pack the bearings with isoflex and assemble the motor.
Unfortuneatly I have yet seen skidoo warranty this out of the warranty period. However we had fixed everyone that failed while it was underwarranty if it did fail.
DOO the DOO

Certified Ski-Doo Technician
shoman

Postby FrustratedDooer » January 3rd, 2002, 10:52 pm

Whats the deal with this isoflex greases, I know that this is the factory's only solution for Doo tech mechanics. Since you're only packing these bearings in grease, won't the grease eventually from getting hot, just run out and then we're back at square one twisting up cranks again. Or is there something I'm missing about this theory. ANother question for you since you're a factory tech, my Mach-1 is a 98' and the mechanic wrenching on my machine told me that the 98' machines alredy have the hole drilled out, is this how they came from the factory, and if so why the hell did it still blow up. My machine was summerized by a dealer (fogged properly) and it was also winter preoped by a dealer. When it blew up they checked the oil pump settings and they were right on where the factory service bulletin called for. So what in your opinion is the bottom line, are the Ski Doo triples Ski Dont's ??? Did I spend my hard earned dollars on factory scrap metal? Because I was about to buy a new MXZ800X and I don't know if after giving Ski Doo all these tens of thousands of dollars over the years If I wan't to continue giving my money to a company that is this willing to stick it's consumers for their mistakes. They can tell me fine, go ahead and buy another brand, but bottom line money talks, and as the consumers we control the destiny of these companies and if triple owners band together and flex their buying musclepower ski doo will take notice. I urge not only triple owners, but all ski doo owners to take action here, because the next time there is a gross failure in an entire sled type it just might be the very sled you ride. If you don't stand united with your brothers in hteir time of need, don't be surprised if they are not there in your time of need. Don't get me wrong, I love ski doo and I would much rather they rectify their design mistakes so all of us wronged Dooers can feel satisfied and continue riding yellow.
FrustratedDooer

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum