Subscribe Today

'88 Phazer won't run, then runs wide open

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby B-52 » January 5th, 2002, 5:41 am

My dad picked up an '88 Phazer this past fall. He doesn't do much riding but thought it would be fun to have to take out once in awhile and it was a good deal so he picked it up. Anywho, it seemed to run good for the week or so that he rode it. Then the handlebars broke at the steering stem. He took them off to weld them up, disconnected the wiring and stuff, fixed the bars and put stuff back together. Then it would not even start. I just figured that he forgot to reconnect a wire or something and it wasn't getting spark. But it has excellent spark! It has good compression and the plugs appear to be wet. The airbox is a piss poor design so I can't spray any ether in it, but if you take the plugs out and spray some in there it will fire once but that is it. So appearently it is not getting fuel. It has a full tank by the way. So what I did was take off the plastic piece that is on top of the carbs to reveal a little opening on the tops of the carbs. I poured a little gas in there and the thing fired up and ran wide open until I shut it down. Is that becuause of where I dumped the gas, is it just like having the throttle wide open. The throtle by the way IS functioning properly. After I shut the sled down again it would not start again on it's own. Any thought's and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
B-52

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » January 5th, 2002, 2:25 pm

have the carbs ever been cleaned? mabe there just dirty... check/replace fuel lines might help
gas is obviously not wanting to get up to the carbs on ther own so maybe the float tank things are just dirty.....dont kno much about phazers though
your guess id just as good as mine
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

Postby B-52 » January 5th, 2002, 11:55 pm

It's possible but since the thing ran so good before and just out of the blue did this I had my doubts on that. But you never know, it couldn't hurt, maybe I will try it. I'm sure they have been cleaned though, he bought it from a friend who bought the thing new and had it as his baby for 14 years. It has an updated rear suspension system, custom paint, rebuilt motor, it's actually bar none the nicest old phazer I have ever seen. It's old but it's not really a clunker. It has been very well taken care of. Any other thoughts?
B-52

Postby snodrifter » January 6th, 2002, 2:30 am

Has that sled got a fuel pump on it? I'd guess it is bad.
snodrifter

Postby Snotcicles » January 6th, 2002, 3:02 am

Try takeing the fuel feed line off at the carb and pull it over. After a few pulls, it should give you some good shots of gas. (have hose in a bottle to catch gas) Pull plugs and ground them to make pulling easier. Might be that when you reassembled steering system, you pinched the pulse line going from case to fuel pump. Chances are it is a fuel delivery problem.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

Postby straycat » January 7th, 2002, 1:00 am

I would check the pulse tube. I am willing to bet that it is piched or cut. Also a POSSIBILITY is the throttle cable is too tight. I had this happen a few times. Worth checking.
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum