Subscribe Today

Listen to this!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Listen to this!

Postby GlennXC » January 10th, 2002, 9:03 am

Update 2: Well, talked to the dealer, they said that they have a sensor built into the thermostat that is in the head that shuts off the engine if it gets too hot. I also looked at the primary clutch and it looks like that might of stuck, it needed some lubrication. I am going to pull the primary off and look over that. Did another compression check with the throttle wide open and got 118 PSi out of both cylinders, exactly the same. I know all you guys are saying seizure, but I don't think so. What happened was different then what happened to my sled last year and I think my dad is right in saying there wasn't enough time for the engine to cool and to have started it. Also, the dealer says compression should be 115-125 so I don't see how it could of seized if there is no loss in compression, especially with both cylinders being equal. So, I hope you guys are all wrong and it was either the clutch or the sensor or both. So, I am going to be riding in Quebec Martin Luther King weekend and we will see what happens. Oh, I live in Windham, ME for 700XCSP.
GlennXC

Listen to this!

Postby ZR800XC » January 10th, 2002, 11:20 am

It can be the clutch I suppose...the clutch sticking open is more common the the SkiDoo TRA clutch, I would seriously tear that top end down though...How do your plugs look??? Are they possibly a funny grey color?

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Listen to this!

Postby 2002XCSP700 » January 10th, 2002, 11:41 am

Quebec sounds like a good time, Hope the sled works allright for ya Glenn. If you ever come riding into Gorham e-mail me. Ride safe
[blue]2002xcsp700 Edge[yellow]X[yellow] [blue] with reverse[blue][yellow]///////////////////////////////[yellow]
[yellow]POLARIS # 1[yellow][blue]////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
[blue]

[blue][b]////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[b][blue]
[yellow][b]//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[b][yellow]
[blue]////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[blue]
[yellow]//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[yellow]

[red][i]When you feel the need for speed[i][red] [blue]......[b]Ride a POLARIS!![b][blue]
[green]///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[green]
[red]/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[red]
[yellow]//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[yellow]
[blue]////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[blue]
[purple]//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////[purple]
2002XCSP700

Listen to this!

Postby Xtreme XC » January 10th, 2002, 11:51 am

Glenn, I take it you don't have a VES sled? Do this, drain your coolant and pop the head off. It's a quick and easy job. You'll see scuffs on your PTO side cylinder I gauruntee it. Just make sure when you torque the head down that it is at 18-20 ft/lbs. Then retorque it at 50 miles.

Now, you can keep running it without fixing it, just don't hold it at WOT for long streches.

Clutches don't just stick. It's mounted solid to the crankshaft. If the clutch was stuck and won't turn it's because the crank is stuck and won't turn. Simple as that.
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/buddypaw/smallpic.jpg[/IMG]
Xtreme XC

Listen to this!

Postby GlennXC » January 10th, 2002, 12:06 pm

my dad doesn't think that you could possibly score or scuff a piston without losing compression and still thinks that under a minute is not enough time for it to unseize. I trust my dad more then I'd trust anyone short of a mechanic for Polaris.
GlennXC

Listen to this!

Postby Xtreme XC » January 11th, 2002, 1:20 am

What looses compression is when your lean to the point that your exhaust side of the piston gets ate up. Besides, what was your compression to start with? You said you were at 118, but what if it was 123 to begin with? I don't know what to tell you, it IS a seize. You can keep running it without problems but just letting you know. I've had these experiences a couple of times. Already had one this year with the new sled, but it was very minor and I will probably only swap out the piston and not worry about recoating the jug.

Do this, pop the head off and prove that I am wrong. If I am wrong, I would surly like to know what it was.

If you only trust a Polairs mechanic (I personally don't), then take it too them and have them check it.

*This Message was edited on 11-Jan-02 06:24 AM by Xtreme XC*
Xtreme XC

Listen to this!

Postby straycat » January 11th, 2002, 7:04 am

I have to agree XC. All is possable, B U T!!! It takes about 3.5 minutes to pull the head. clamp off the coolant hose, and take out the 6 bolts. I do it after almost every ride. for the little time it takes to do this, it is worth the money down the road in repair and towing!
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Listen to this!

Postby GlennXC » January 12th, 2002, 12:55 am

Alright, I still don't think it seized but say it did, what is easier, pulling the exhaust off, new exhaust gasket, or pulling the head off, draining all the coolant?
GlennXC

Listen to this!

Postby Xtreme XC » January 12th, 2002, 2:28 am

Hey Glenn, It would be "quicker" to pull the exhaust but you can't get as good of look. And your chances of tearing a exhaust gasket are more than not. If you do that then you need to either buy exhaust gasket material and cut your own or order another one from a Pol dealer that may take a week to get. So it may not necessarily be "easier".

I would say just empty the coolant part way down (just enough to get it below the head) and pop the head off. That way you can see the whole cylinder wall clearly and you won't have to mess with gaskets. You have head gaskets but they won't go bad when popping it off. Just when putting it back together run some vasaline on the head gaskets and bleed the cooling system when putting coolant back in.
Xtreme XC

Listen to this!

Postby GlennXC » January 13th, 2002, 6:00 am

Well, I don't know if I will take the head off or not, I'm leaving Thursday afternoon, so I might just run it. I will be going to Quebec until Monday, so, we will just have to wait and see what happens. I will definitely be putting on at least 500 or 600 miles, so we will see. I might pull the head after this. I think its all right. I will be hoping for the best.
GlennXC

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum