Subscribe Today

Rear-Suspension sag

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby karni24 » January 9th, 2002, 11:38 am

I have 2000 ZR600 with 950 miles on it. I just took the suspension out of it to put the coupling-block upgrade kit in it. I put the suspension back in the sled, and now the rear sags a little. It didn't do this before. If I lift up on the rear grab-bar and let it go, it drops about 3". Springs?, Shock? I haven't a clue.
karni24

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby michahicks » January 10th, 2002, 3:40 am

Not being a Cat fan it's just a guess, but I'll say its the spring tension adjustment on the rear
springs. They aren't tight enough.
AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby Maniac » January 10th, 2002, 12:40 pm

I'll say that it is supposed to sag. Think. If it didn't and you hit a bump and it flung right up to the top wouldn't you go flying off of the seat?
Not sure what your upgrade kit was like, but I just coincidentally installed an upgrade kit on my F-III's SC-10. If yours works like mine you coupled the back axle to a hinge in the middle. It could be, if your suspension used to go right up, that it is just stiff and needs to be pounded a bit to loosen up some of them new parts.
But honestly I haven't seen a sled that didn't sag. I'm pretty sure it is supposed to. I know mine does.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby karni24 » January 10th, 2002, 1:03 pm

The coupling-blocks I installed don't connect the rear-arm to any other arm in the suspension. They just bolt to the rails right by the track-tension adjusting bolts. The rear-arm is supposed to compress only till it hits the blocks, then the coupling action starts. I don't really think the installation of the blocks have anything to do with the sag. I do believe that all sleds to have a bit of sag. I was always told that you should have like 1 to 2 inches of sit-in when you sit on the sled. But my sled has that sag of like 3 inches, then when I sit on it, it goes down another 1.5 inches or so. I used to always ride with the adjuster block on the lightest setting, since I weigh 160 pounds. I tried adjusting the block to the medium setting, and that took away some of the "sit-in" sag, but not that initial 3" of sag.
karni24

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby Maniac » January 10th, 2002, 2:07 pm

Sorry. I meant an aluminum mount bolted to the backside of the track adjusters. Have you tried setting your springs to the highest settings? Same with shocks, just to see if it goes away or not.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby ZR500PA » January 10th, 2002, 10:36 pm

I think this normal for an Arctic Cat. It has broken in, ride the hell out of it.
ZR500PA

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby michahicks » January 10th, 2002, 11:44 pm

Sorry guys, I don't think a sled just sitting there should have much, if any, sag on the rear. Certainly not 2 0r 3 inches. It should only have sag with your weight added to it, then maybe 3 to 5 inches, depending on what kind of ride you're after, and the amount of travel that's available from the design you're working on. Front end is a different story, but you don't sit on that.
AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby ammdrew » January 11th, 2002, 12:41 am

your rear shock is blown, need s to be rebuilt...
ammdrew

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby straycat » January 11th, 2002, 12:46 am

karni,
with the suspension coupler blocks you need to set up the suspension different. What they recomend you do when you couple it is, that you put the rear springs to the Tightest setting. Then you put the front coil over spring as loose as you can. With the limitter straps all the way out on the front and the rear. This is what they recomend to start with. After that you will have to tune it to your riding style.

oh and a blowen shock does not efect ride hight while the sled is sitting in the stationary possition. if anything the sled will sit high and be "boucy" or it will go down and not come back up.

*This Message was edited on 11-Jan-02 05:49 AM by straycat*
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby karni24 » January 11th, 2002, 12:50 pm

Straycat,

I think I'll set it up that way tomorrow (Sat.) and see if that cures it. That would seem to make sense though, because right now the suspension sits only about .5 inch away from the coupler block, and I kind of thought that that was odd. It seemed too soft. I think Arctic Cat should have provided this info. in the instructions for the kit if this is the case. By the way, I keep my sled in my friend's shop. Last weekend when I wasn't at the shop, another friend of our's was there. This guy weighs like 425 pounds (no kidding), and he was bouncing up and down on the sled. I wonder if that could have something to do with it.
karni24

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum