Subscribe Today

Rear-Suspension sag

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby d-man » January 14th, 2002, 7:10 pm

That 425 lb.guy probably did it!!!! Sorry, but with the suspension set up for your weight and the shocks not being valved for a lot of weight, your buddy probably just blew out your rear shock, and could've bent your rear springs to hell!!!! If you find out that the shock is blown, make your buddy replace it! LOL It could happen.... It's like loading a 1/2 ton pickup with a big fifth wheel. Your shocks/springs/engine would need a LOT of correction to make it work.
HERE KITTY KITTY KITTY!
Lost your cat? Try looking in a salvage yard!
d-man

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby michahicks » January 15th, 2002, 1:19 am

C'mon, this has been posted several times before.
SHOCKS DO NOT CONTROL RIDE HEIGHT/SAG, THE SPRINGS DO.
Shocks control damping/rebound ONLY.
It's extremely unlikely that the big guy hurt your sled, even if he weighed 600lbs. Even if it settled all the way to the floor and bottomed out when he sat/jumped on it, it would be no different than if you had bottomed it out on a trail.

AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby straycat » January 15th, 2002, 2:51 am

MICH,

I toaly agree. Why is it that there is this misconseption about shocks?!?!

Is the principal of a SHOCK ABSORBER that hard to figure out?
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby karni24 » January 15th, 2002, 11:30 am

StrayCat,

I raised adjusting blocks to the highest setting and that took some of the sag away. You said I should let the front shock/spring all the way out on the front of the rear suspension, and also let the limiter-straps all the way out. Do you have experience with this set-up? I'm just curious to know how the sled will react handling-wise. I haven't gotten to ride yet this year with the coupler blocks in it.
karni24

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby straycat » January 15th, 2002, 1:37 pm

Well,
This is what black magic suggests when first couplin a suspension. Personaly My sled is not coupled but I have done a few of them. This is the best starting point I have found. You may want to adj. it to your liking afterwords.
You may notice you loose hook-up with a coupled suspension. if this happens you may have to adj. the limiter straps and springs. You will just have to play with it. My sugestion is go from one extream to the other at first. That way you will no the diff. for sure. then dial it in. I can't tell you for sure one perfect set up. every rider is difrent and sits in diff. possitions on a sled. that all makes a big differance!
I like the hook up of an uncoupled so mine isn't.
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby ammdrew » January 29th, 2002, 2:13 am

the top 2 inches of travel on a arctic ett suspension is entirely shock rotation, no spring at all... the rear springs in the 02's are the same as a 99 pro, so if it sags on even the low setting it is a blown shock, the top end of the suspension is based on drop out of the shock....... on the coupling cat uses a stiffer front spring then in the past and more limiter strap, because when the rear suspension meats the block it also pulls the front one up.......... rebuild your shocks, they are blown.... calll if you need someone to do it 612-251-8267 ammdrew@mediaone.net
this has been how this suspension has worked for 5 years now...........and the 02 is the same basic setup as a 00 pro with round springs instead of square............ and unless aspring bent or broke the 425 guy will not hurt anything, at 60 mph and 5 ft jumps you are creating way more force
ammdrew

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby ammdrew » January 29th, 2002, 2:20 am

oh need to add more, if you did a conversion you won't have thosse springs, and you should switch your front shock spring to a 190 pd spring from the stock 170 lb, that will help alot on the hook up.... also one more possibility is you have overtightened the shock bolts causing a bind the shock can not over come....... i agree shocks are for rebound and compression control, but on a ett desighn the final rotation of the tsl at the top of the stroke is entirly rear shock, let the nitrogrn charge out and see were your suspension sits......
also you should revavle your front shock for the new spring.....
ammdrew

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby prosno » January 29th, 2002, 3:40 pm

Save all the mumbo jumbo. If your front arm limiter straps are sucked up any it will give more sag. The least amont of sag will happen when your staps are all the way out. If yo don't believe me try it you will be pleasnt'ly surprised.
prosno

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby ammdrew » January 30th, 2002, 1:47 am

the front arm is coupled to the rear arm, via the shaft( little aluminum ting in front of the arm) so to some extent you can control rear with limiter straps, but too much limiter out with a uncoupled cat will allow the skid to punch into the track clip holes at full rear compression, ie a tail landig, that is were the coupling realy comes in allows you to let out alittle more limiter strap in front, and to run a stiffer spring, but this will not neccisarrily control droop of the rear just sitting,
ammdrew

Rear-Suspension sag

Postby zr800newyork » January 30th, 2002, 2:38 am

Listen to stray cat he makes sense...I'm 250 lbs and ride agressively for a old timer and if I hit plant it , face a mogul its like the 500 lb rider working a suspension shouldn't wreck your sled...I ride a xc zr and seldom bottom the stock suspension and I have that 2" sag- normal I'd say
TUG HILL CRUISIN'
Sno-Goer Magazine-Nov'03 issue
zr800newyork

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum