Subscribe Today

Snowmobile Exhaust Emissions

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby straycat » January 11th, 2002, 5:17 am

I will tell you this, 2 strokes are worse from an emmisions stand point any way you look at it.

B U T ! ! ! 500 cars??? That is crap!!

And to all you guys that keep bad mouthing the four strokes, wait and see. Thats all I can say. Have some respect for the eviroment also. Some of these posts just show how disrespectfull you are to the enviroment. This is what gives snowmobilers a bad name. I am not a tree huger or anything but if you can do something to help.... You should!
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Postby polarisman415 » January 11th, 2002, 7:21 am

The average sledder goes 5,000 a year??? Thats some major BS!!! I dont think thats possible. Let me think??? about 100days of snowmobiling a year(MAX). thats 50miles a day! Doesnt sound to hard does it. :) I want to know where the AVERAGE snowmobiler is riding because i want to ask him if i can borrow some snow.
The XCR800 Kicks ass
polarisman415

Postby tcat2 » January 11th, 2002, 8:49 am

LOL PMAN.... If it doesnt snow soon, this year the average will be about 50 miles.
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

Postby polarisman415 » January 11th, 2002, 2:04 pm

hey T-cat i noticed your from NH, me to. try heading up to Twin Mtn. area. Im going up there this weekend. they got i think 13inchs from the last storm. Time to add some more miles on that XCR and smog up all those trails so i can put that 5000miles on this year! Only 4500more to go!!!
The XCR800 Kicks ass
polarisman415

Postby tcat2 » January 11th, 2002, 5:10 pm

Polarisman ..... Sent you a note. I have only 4800 more to go this season .... but another 2500 to make up for last year. Oh Well.
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

Postby Snosport » January 12th, 2002, 2:51 am

I checked some back issues of the magazines for information on this. SnowTech has a good article in September 2001 comparing emissions of watercraft with carburetors, efi, Orbital and Ficht fuel injection and 4 strokes. They use a specification referred to as Federal Emission Level (FEL) which rates combined grams of nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbon emissions per kilowatt hour. The carbureted and efi engines produced between 111 and 143 gm/kW-hr. Orbital and Ficht produced 30 and 54 gm/kW-hr and the 4 strokes were in the range of 16 to 17 gm/kW-hr.
According to this spec. The conventional 2 strokes emit between 6 and 9 times more emmissions than 4 strokes. This is certainly a long ways from the One Sled=500 cars suggested by the person that started this, but it does leave room for significant improvement. The good news is that the Ficht and Orbital technologies go a long way in reducing emissions to closer to the 4 strokes. Bombardier, which makes Skidoo purchased OMC last year and now owns the rights to the Ficht fuel injection. They had placed the Orbital injection and RFI (Rotax Fuel Injection) in watercraft already, so this technology is just waiting to go into the snowmobiles. Polaris has used the Ficht fuel injection in their watercraft, although the continued use is questionable now that their direct competitor owns the rights. There was another article, that I couldn't locate, that I think was done by a college student who did a study on snowmobile emissions. If anyone has back issues in the 6 month to 1 year range see if you can locate it and post information on it here. It also did a pretty good job of debunking the claims of the environmentalist wackos. We can't fight environmentalists with profanity and irrational responses to their claims. We need to cite factual information and put it into the hands of the people in the government that are going to be charged with setting the regulations to control emissions. My thoughts on this are that the manufacturers should take the resources that they are putting into speed and start cleaning up and quieting down the engines and making the machinery lighter. Do we really need everyone out there to have a machines that weigh 500 to 600 pounds, have 100+ hp, go 100 mph or more, and get, at best 15 mpg. The trails cannot stand up to the number of people that are out there standing on the brakes going into the corners and spinning the track coming out of the corners. We had 26 people killed in WI last year and 38 the year before. If this sport doesn't get its act together on its own, it is just inviting everything from emissions and sound regulations to speed limits and random sobriety testing.
Snosport

Postby Zipper » January 12th, 2002, 3:37 am

Bravo Snosport! Presenting an informed argument is our best course of action. I don't know if new engine technology will pacify these tree huggers but in the mean time we ALL have to be snowmobiling's good will ambassadors. They got the boating industry's attention with the new 2006 EPA standards and their sights are unqestionalby focused on us now. When someone brings up this subject, I don't believe they are necessarily crying "wolf" but rather helping to inform the rest of us riders that this problem will not go away by itself. Lets face it. Gun owners, ATV riders, boaters, motorcyclists are in an ongoing battle to protect their interests. We are no different.
Richard Geppert
Zipper

Postby ZR500PA » January 12th, 2002, 5:21 am

Everyone b***hs about sleds, How about your fuel oil furnace in your house. Talk about putting s**t in the air,these things pump pollutants big time. No regulation on emission from your furnace, Too Many people in office have oil connection.
ZR500PA

Postby Hazor » January 12th, 2002, 10:30 am

pntcont

NO f**kING WAY YOU ECO-NAZI!!!!

That is pure propoganda and YOU know it! I've crunched the numbers and done the research, that is absolutly untrue. Check out the results and papers from the SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge, the numbers don't lie.
"Brand loyalty's for the consumer."
Hazor

Postby snoguy14 » January 12th, 2002, 11:59 am

ya know somthing? I for one am so sick of you snot headed,tree huggin'morons check you research on NEWER,MORE ADVANCED sleds NOT 10 YR OLD OUT OF TUNE LAWNMOWERS.NOW GET IN YOUR GAS GUZZLING SUV AND STAY OUT OF MY FACE!!!!!Leave me my small pleasures and i'll let you have yours.
I'm not fast, your just slow.
snoguy14

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum