Subscribe Today

Snowmobile Exhaust Emissions

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby pntcont » January 10th, 2002, 11:28 am

Just a some info for those who think snowmobile engines are environmentally clean. ONE snowmobile at play emitts as many polutants into the air as "500" automobiles crusing at 65MPH.Equal time for both scenarios. The people trying to close national parks have a legitamate beef.
pntcont

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » January 10th, 2002, 11:45 am

nothing more to say...this is F*cked

*This Message was edited on 11-Jan-02 12:49 PM by kneedeepinsnow*
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

Postby michahicks » January 10th, 2002, 11:48 am

That's complete hooey. I'm betting your quoting from a report that was proven by the snowmobile industry to be a complete hoax and was part of the BS logic that went into a serious attempt at shutting down Yellowstone to snowmobiles. If you'd care to reveal your sources in an e-mail to me privately we could continue this discussion there. But you might want to check it out yourself first.

By the way, while you are doing the checking, check out how many cars are in and out of Yellowstone every year. Compare that to the number of sleds doing the same thing.

Get a life.

AL

*This Message was edited on 10-Jan-02 04:53 PM by michahicks*
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Postby polarisman415 » January 10th, 2002, 12:21 pm

O NO!!! ALL THE TREES ARE GOING TO DIE!!! You can go drive around in your cheap little 800cc 60HP 4 stroke when i drive by you on a 340. 2 strokes or nothing.
The XCR800 Kicks ass
polarisman415

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » January 10th, 2002, 1:29 pm

thought about this a bit more....this post is nuts...this is total BS!!!!!!!
d**n treehuggers making stuff up....wonder how much paper the watsed coming up with wacked out results for there "studies/research" like that...u gotta be kidding.....
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

Postby zr800newyork » January 10th, 2002, 1:37 pm

Park the cars are ride your horses...stay with the extreme conservative nut cases protect everything at all cost...invent another phony study..here we go again-my goodness dump the boats, cycles, buses, diesels, cars thank God the trains are nearly extinct...yak yak yak
TUG HILL CRUISIN'
Sno-Goer Magazine-Nov'03 issue
zr800newyork

Postby michahicks » January 11th, 2002, 2:19 am

You know the scary thing abouts posts like the one that started this string? The really scary thing? There are people that believe BS like this,
without doing ANY research on their own or checking to see where the original information came from. Talk about gullible. Maybe I should buy some swamp land somewhere and sell it to them as a great value, tripling my money. Or do you think they might want to check out what they are buying first? I don't know if IGNORANT is a strong enough word.

On the four stroke topic though, some of you people that have your nose up in the air might do better to take a wait and see attitude towards them. I think you might be in for a pleasant surprise in the next few years. Especially from a performance perspective. Power to weight ratios are not that far off now. Keep an open mind and give 'em some time. Price will be the big issue.
I'm pretty sure they can do it. I just don't know if I can afford it. One thing for sure, if I can afford it, and find one I like somewhere in the future, I'll buy it because it can stand on it's own merits, not because of milage or emissions!
AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Postby CatmanZR800 » January 11th, 2002, 2:59 am

Go kiss a tree!
WARNING! Cats are meat eaters!
CatmanZR800

Postby EOlson » January 11th, 2002, 3:51 am

I just got the latest issue of VAST newspaper, it's a paper put out by the Vermont Snowmobile club. I was browsing through it last night and there is a report in there that has snowmobiles so far down on the list of polluters that the cars in this country put out some 3500 times more pollution than the snowmobile population. I'll nail down pages and such next time I can get them.

Eric
2001 Yamaha SX 700R
2001 Chevy Silverado LT
2000 Polaris Sportsman 500
EOlson

Postby tcat2 » January 11th, 2002, 4:19 am

While it's true that 2-strokes are not as clean as 4-strokes, there is no way this post is accurate.I'm no expert, but when the Yellowstone debate was in full swing, I remembered an article debunking most of the enviornmentalists clims. I have it printed somewhere, but I do remember a few of the pertinant points.

1)When this was debated in congress, the enviormentalists estimated that the AVERAGE snowobile was driven 5,000 miles in one year.
All you have to do is look in the classifieds to know that this estimate is Bullsh*t. Look at the mileage on these sleds for sale and rarely do you see a sled of any year with over 5,000 miles for sale. The "AVERAGE" is probably closer to 1,000 miles, per year.

2) That same article pointed out something I didn't know. Most of the emissions emitted by 2-stroke engines, is in the form of unburnt fuel and oil(That I knew). What surprised me was that these are not as harmful to the enviormnent as we are led to believe. It may sting your eyes, but is easily absorbed back into the enviornment.

3) Harmfull pollutants like CO2 are only about twice that of a compareable sized 4-stroke. This makes sense because the 2-stroke fires twice as often as a comparable sized 4-stroke. Therefore the emissions of a 1000cc 2-stroke would be about the same as a 2000cc 4-stroke.

I will try to find that article I printed ... but in the meantime....

500 CARS MY A**

*This Message was edited on 11-Jan-02 01:47 PM by tcat2*
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum