Subscribe Today

Gas leaking out exhaust, backfiring. Ideas?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby 85jag » January 22nd, 2002, 2:24 am

With the help of you guys, I finally got my 1985 Jag running better. However, it still has a few problems (what can you expect for $150):
-Idles rough and will stall without my hand on throttle giving some gas and sometimes revving it
-liquid coming from connection between exhaust manifold and muffler(?)
-at top speed/full throttle it will backfire

Is the choke set properly? Also, I fiddled with the screw adjustments on the carb and they don't seem to affect much. What's the deal with those? As you can see, I'm new at this.
85jag

Postby straycat » January 22nd, 2002, 3:52 am

If it is backfiring threw the exaughst it means you are running realy rich. the screws on the carb are for idle speed and idle mixture if it is a mikuni carb.
You may need to remove the exaughst pipe and rince it out with solvent. If it is caked up with "sludge" it will run like s**t. You need to get it good and hot. to get the junk out of the crank case too. try that.
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Postby ZR500PA » January 22nd, 2002, 4:33 am

Broken fuel pump diapham.
ZR500PA

Postby 85jag » January 22nd, 2002, 9:58 am

So what can I do to run less "rich" when my engine is oil injected? Do I unhook the oil injection and premix from now on?...or does it have more to do with the carb than fuel content? Also, will adjusting the idle speed solve my problem of having to constantly keep the engine revved so it doesn't stall? Thanks for the input!
85jag

Postby Snotcicles » January 22nd, 2002, 10:17 am

I don't think straycat is refering to the oil/gas ratio as to rich, I think he is refering to the air/gas ratio. Make sure choke plunger is going home when released. Make sure fuel pump is good like ZR500PA said. He helped me with my jetting so he is a straight shooter. Are plugs wet? Both of them? If one on a single carb, could lead back the diaphram thing. Didn't somebody say that on here not to long ago?
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » January 22nd, 2002, 10:24 am

leave the oil stuff the way it is...
dont quote me on this but i think there should be and adjustment for the idle speed and idle mix.
not sure if there will be one for the high speed jet .(I don't know mikunis very well)
it should be easy to adjust the idle speed....
as for the backfiring... you may be running a bad mixture or could have somthing to do with ignition timing....

*This Message was edited on 22-Jan-02 03:25 PM by kneedeepinsnow*
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

Postby kop7888 » January 29th, 2002, 6:38 pm

i am pretty sure that the problem is the throttle overide switch it is a switch that kills the spark if the carbs frezz up put a track stand under rear bumper unplug kill switch start up does it miss now if eng is reving up the slides in carb are stuck if not switch neads to be replaced it actualy does not kill the spark it retards the timing whats coming out of the exh. is the unburned fuel because of the retarded timeing exh manifold may nead to be tighened back up because of the back fireing loosened the nuts let me know if it works now.
James Kopecky
kop7888

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum