Subscribe Today

ZL 440 bogging

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

ZL 440 bogging

Postby SNO_DAWG 315 » February 3rd, 2002, 2:49 am

If the safety switch on the carbs was causing the problem, it would completely lose spark on that cylinder, under certain conditions. It is made to take care of the times when the slides get frozen and are stuck in the open position. If this happens and throttle is released, it will kill the ignition on that cylinder. My guess would be in clutching, either the bushings in the weights in the primary are worn so bad that the weights are doing goofy things, or the helix in the secondary is not allowing good backshift. Try indexing the spring in the secondary a couple holes tighter. It will also raise your shift RPM, so keep an eye on tach. What are you running for weights and helix, may want to switch to stock helix, 53 or 55.
SNO_DAWG 315

ZL 440 bogging

Postby Bruns » February 3rd, 2002, 4:06 am

Ok, with the sled just sitting still, and the tach at 3000prm, I get off the throttle, let it drop to 2000rpm, then just give it a little gas, I get the bogg. With the air box, well removing the rubber boots, it seems better. The plugs have a brown powder look to them. I have heard of the "safety feature" with a friends 600, he just lives with the bogg. I do not like it. I was living with it until I got a ZRT 600 and now really know what it should run like...Well, the smooth take off...
Bruns

ZL 440 bogging

Postby zr2k » February 3rd, 2002, 6:00 am

sounds like the little safety switch in the throttle block.when you're riding in a different position like stand up, you are pushing the throttle at a slightly different angle causing a slow reaction. check the throttle pivot maybe it's a little worn. been there
zr2k

ZL 440 bogging

Postby 89Indy500_sp » February 3rd, 2002, 7:52 am

on my friends sled it had a simular problem he just unpluged the safe feture.
My 2003 REV 800 Sport... my baby
[img]http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album762/snonews.thumb.jpg[/img]
700 miles this season!
89Indy500_sp

ZL 440 bogging

Postby ammdrew » February 3rd, 2002, 8:33 am

if it is the safty switches, you can bypass them and try it, if that does not take care oif it i would say your needle jet is pluged or inlet needle and seat is sticking, more likly the needle jet, just replace them, they are only a few bucks and take a couple of minutes to do, only alittle more work than a main jet, and double triple check carb sync... maybe start there, if you are dragging a cylindr, out of sync, they would come in on the top end, both all the way up......

very possible.... if it is the safty i would not live with it, i would fix it, same with your buddy, how can you ride in the bumps with a ignition cutting out?????? that is what the safty does.... you can just short the plugs at the carb....... good luck
ammdrew

Previous

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum