Subscribe Today

Hard Starting Polaris

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Hard Starting Polaris

Postby Ryche » February 3rd, 2002, 4:20 am

I have a 98 Polaris XLT special, this sled has the 600cc triple in it, I bought it in sept and am having serious problems starting it. It seems to be gas fouling the plugs all the time, I have installed new plug, with the correct gap, and spark is good and strong. It will do this even when trying to start it without the choke. The carbs are clean and jetted corectly for this sled. The original owner swears he never had a problem starting this sled, but for whatever reason, it is making my arm want to fall off. If anyone has any ideas, i would love to hear from you. Thanks
Ryche

Hard Starting Polaris

Postby mangle919 » February 3rd, 2002, 4:28 am

Try putting gas in the cylinders, if it starts right up like that then you might want to try using some anti-freeze, if not, call your local mechanic and see what he's got for ideas
mangle919

Hard Starting Polaris

Postby 02Xc600Sp » February 3rd, 2002, 7:29 am

A buddy of mine has the same sled with the same problems. It's because of the bigger carbs. I don't think there is anything that you can do about it.
02Xc600Sp

Hard Starting Polaris

Postby St. Zenon Zero » February 3rd, 2002, 12:48 pm

I have 2 of the XLT98s and they both have the same flooding traits. They are easily flooded because of how they are ported, intake low and exhayst high. When starting cold, choke with no throttle. If it catches on the first pull or so great. If they start and stall, another pull with the choke on and they will flood. Hold thottle wide open, no choke, and pull a number of times to start. After warmed up and you stop for a little time, no choke to start. Just hold the throttle open and give it a pull. I had the same problem with my first one until I figured out how easily they flood. Now I can start my when it is 25 below no problem.
St. Zenon Zero

Hard Starting Polaris

Postby Ryche » February 3rd, 2002, 1:44 pm

Hey St. Zenon Zero, When trying to start it cold, should I have it on full choke, or half choke? Also, do you know what the idle rpm of this sled should be, i am wondering if it is to low? i really cant believe that this sled should take that much effort to start. But if you have the same problems, then maybee I can at least learn from your expierences. Thank you for the reply.
Ryche

Hard Starting Polaris

Postby St. Zenon Zero » February 4th, 2002, 9:49 am

If it is really cold -25 degrees F. full choke. But remember, the moment it catches and sputters to life get the choke off or you will drown it in gas. Feather the throttle and if it starts to stall give it a quick half choke and off.

If normal cold 1/2 choke same scenario.

If the sled does not start, check your plugs. I'll bet you a case of Labatts Blue they will be wet. I get mine started every time, you just gotta not choke em to death. gaspe@bright.net
St. Zenon Zero

Hard Starting Polaris

Postby St. Zenon Zero » February 4th, 2002, 9:53 am

Oh yea, idle speed when cold and warming it up about 2500 to 3000 rpm. Once you are out riding and you stop, it should idle at about 1200 rpm. Turn the 3 idle screws the same amount every time you change your idle speed, not just one.
gaspe@bright.net
St. Zenon Zero

Hard Starting Polaris

Postby snoracr » February 13th, 2002, 4:16 pm

If your still having problems, goto your dealer and get some viton tip needle and seat assemblies for your carbs.
snoracr

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum