Subscribe Today

Most "Worked On" sleds on the snow

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby treewhacker » November 7th, 2002, 12:54 am

Since we're all getting desperate for some good riding snow and need something to talk about, here's my category in the ratings fields you guys have going on. Seems like this is a good category to judge sleds by, "How much You Have To Work On Them To Keep Them Going.
1. Arctic Cat.(Bet that doesn't surprise anyone)
2. SkiDoo
3. Polaris
4. Yamaha
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1278/a1ugly.jpg[/img]
treewhacker

Postby deadsled » November 7th, 2002, 1:25 am

my list would be:
yamaha
skidoo
AC
polaris

probably biased because only yamahas I ride with are older, and my brother owned a real dud of a skidoo. Not enough ACs around to see many broken down sleds, but the polaris sleds around here have been rock solid.
3/4 of sleds in my area are polaris. maybe due to such a great dealer more than sled pref.
I am currently riding a yamaha 4S. Who would have guessed?
deadsled

Postby treewhacker » November 7th, 2002, 1:42 am

Deadsled
Have to agree with you on the dealer thing. A lot of people will buy from a dealer only because they like the dealer and brand isn't that big of a deal. I go by sled preference, but will drive 200 miles to a dealer I prefer. Nothing worse than a inadequate dealer.
treewhacker

Postby RotaxGuy » November 7th, 2002, 1:44 am

I don't know about 2,3 or 4 but where I ride in MN and NW WI the #1 broken down sled (or at least pulled over w/ the hood up) is, by a landslide, Arctic Cat. I used to be one of them.
RotaxGuy

Postby NorthernSkunk » November 7th, 2002, 1:55 am

that list whacker is the same list we have up here for which sleds are the fastest(for where and how we ride). workin on my sled is just part of the fun/hobby.
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Postby treewhacker » November 7th, 2002, 2:06 am

I like working on my sled doing upgrades at home in my nice warm garage, but it sucks when you're sitting there with the hood open and your hands all greasy while others are playing and having fun.
treewhacker

Postby tcat2 » November 7th, 2002, 2:11 am

In our area, the list looks more like this;

1 Polaris
2 Yamaha
3 Arctic Cat
4 Ski Doo

Now ... If you consider the percentage of sleds out there and the corresponding frequency of the sleds we see on the trails ....

1 Polaris
2 Arctic Cat
3 Ski Doo
4 Yamaha

Last year, over about 1500 miles of riding, I only saw something like 6-8 Vipers and about the same number of SRX's. There are very few Yamaha's out here. If you compare the number of broken down sleds ... to the number of sleds that brand has on the trails. The highest percentage belongs too ...

1 Yamaha
2 Polaris
3 Arctic Cat
4 Ski-Doo

Now ... which riders ride their sleds the hardest.

1 Arctic Cat
2 Ski Doo
3 Polaris
4 Yamaha

LOL
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

Postby deadsled » November 7th, 2002, 2:14 am

tree, how are the homebuilts for reliability? You mentioned how they will outclimb, out play, out run factory stuff, but do they also break down more? You would think there would be some tradeoff, or factories would build sleds like yours.
I am currently riding a yamaha 4S. Who would have guessed?
deadsled

Postby treewhacker » November 7th, 2002, 2:29 am

Deadsled
These days very reliable
With my first one, I worked on it quite a bit because I was learning and found out what worked and what doesn't. The last couple of years I haven't had my hood open much at all. At least not to work on it. Mostly just put gas in and go riding till it's empty. Pisses the guys off when they're working on their new sled though.
treewhacker

Postby ChrisXCR » November 7th, 2002, 2:30 am

Tcat2, where in NH do you ride? Almost everytime I see a broken down sled its a Cat. Once in a great while I'll see another brand but they are rare. I agree with you on the lack of Yammi's, I think I saw 8 Vipers on snow last year and 6 of those were at the snodeo demo rides.

As for who rides harder, it is usually a Cat or a Doo with mirrors that is holding up about 20 sleds behind it. Get the bleep outta my way!!!!! :)
:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Next

Return to Trash Talkers