Subscribe Today

Boo Hoo Hoo..... Racings not fair.....

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby BigDXLT » November 19th, 2002, 8:34 am

Been an interesting thread to follow. Here's my take on the whole situation:

Right now, SnowCross is the BIGGEST form of advertising out there. Simple. Look at the Xgames. I believe the sled events have been the most popular. It's all over the tv. All sorts of young people are seeing this and going oh wow. Yamaha is nuts to not want to throw SOMETHING in there. The reason they haven't done well so far is they have been giving half-hearted attempts.

BUT

Yamaha has always liked to its own little weird things. Maybe, as they pull out of snocross they may do more to promote other events? I wouldn't mind seeing that.
Racing is needed. It leads to faster, better handling, and in most cases more durable sleds. The old Polaris Indy Trail (special version I believe) I remember used win some big cross country events (Would someone like to confirm?) and it wasn't long before Polaris was outselling the other brands. My old man's Indy Trail Deluxe beat well tuned, phazers AND rode much better. Racing improved that machine. Its been beat to hell and still is going. But race image sold it.
My point is, Yamaha better get serious in other venues if they are going to ignore snowcross.

But unless like I think Blake said, they are just gonna try to weather the low snow storm you easterners been having (cuz it is a majority of the market) that would explain it a bit. Maybe when sales really pick up (thought viper outsold all others though?) they will get back into it.
They ought to get serious out west here. I've seen more brand spanking new sleds each year over the previous year. Yet they refuse to get serious in this market. They barely, if at all, support hillclimbers and their sleds are rare around here because of the simple fact that they are underpowered and heavy. (Treewhacker will no doubt beg to differ...) Seriously. I see brand new cats, doos and lots of pols in the backs of peoples trucks as they go up the hill. Only blue sleds belong to the over the hill gang, or in a group of out of towners.
Well whatever. Yamaha Co. just doesn't care. That's my $.04 cdn.
BigDXLT

Postby straycat » November 19th, 2002, 8:43 am

I know this is a little off key BUT.... I work for a marine diesel OEM. Do we have a factory race team? HELL NO!!! MOST JAPANESE COMPANYS DON'T!!!!!!!

Now on the other hand we do help the race teams out with sponsership, technical help, speical mod. engines, ect., ect., ect. I help put together some of formulas high perf. engines, help them with instalation, and help them get the boat proped for full performance.

THEY STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THESE ENGINES!!!!!!!! yes they get a fat discount But they still have to pay for the goods. Maybee this will be the future for Yahmaha Racing.
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Postby drifter7 » November 19th, 2002, 9:24 am

Max, I see your point, and obviously understand where and how you came up with that conclusion. Think about this though, Yamaha, a worldwide leader in powersports, drops a line of machines from their diverse line-up, such as sleds. Look at what a stir Yamaha getting out of snowcross caused. Think of the ripple effect of them dropping sleds would have in the entire industry. They would cause doubt throughout their entire line-up. They won't do that. Plus, to dump millions of dollars into a new, state of the art snowmobile testing facility in Northern Wisconsin is not a move that suggests that Yamaha is giving up on sleds. Then, for them do develope an entirely new chassis and sled, and spend the time and money to tool it, test it, and then manufacture it would be financially irresponsible from a company that is as successful as Yamaha. Just my speculation and opinion though.

*This Message was edited on 19-Nov-02 04:37 PM by drifter7*
drifter7

Postby Blue leader (temp) » November 19th, 2002, 11:49 am

Ahhhhh I see alot of good points being made but????? Does anyone spend a little time out riding your sleds with the family (wife,girlfriend,son,daughter,friends,etc...) or is most worried about how thier brand did at the races? and that because thier brand race sled did so well that my ??cc sled must be great and it looks like the race sled.
[img]http://www.freepichosting.com/Images/103503/0.jpg[/img][img]http://www.freepichosting.com/Images/103503/1.jpg[/img]
Nice hooters :B
Blue leader (temp)

Postby FreezurBurnt » November 19th, 2002, 12:08 pm

I know they were great dirt track racers back in the day

But come on who buys a Harley because of racing????
[b]ride Chelmsford,Northern Ont. area[/b]

[img]http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/img][img]https://www.snowgoer.com/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/3793/rig/my%20truck%20driver%20side%20neg.jpg[/img]
[green][b][i]01 ZR 600 early release[/b][/i][/green]
FreezurBurnt

Postby BigDXLT » November 19th, 2002, 1:42 pm

I don't want to buy a sled that wins nothing. If I'm gonna lay down that amount of cash I want a sled that is gonna be competitive with other machines. I don't care how "Rider X" is doing. I want to know the company is willing to support racers because they know their machine can win. I don't care about snowcross but I do care about hillclimbing. Mod classes make no difference to me but stock classes do.
Contingencies show that a company is willing to back up their "high performance" image. Yamaha is not willing to back up their talk. They have drag racing, but really... they seem to have no confidence in their own product.
They don't mind backing up their bikes, PWC, outboard motors and such. Heck even their ATVs they try to make the best.
See, bragging about having the comfiest cruiser doesn't mean much to me. Yamaha better work overtime in other forms of racing or work on becoming the comfiest cruisers. When I'm 60 I might be interested in a Yamaha.
BigDXLT

Postby catman_snowpro » November 19th, 2002, 5:35 pm

hey! Just because The rx-1 is out doenst mean yamaha build a great sled!@

Yamaha is behind times!

I think that snowcross sells alot of sleds! Hey, its a good testing ground for future sleds!

OK. if it anit you have to ask ywhy yamaha is behind??

How any 120 do they build?? how many fan 340 do they build?? how any 440 do they build?? how many 500 do they build?? how and 600 do the build?? and if they built any how many of these sled are worth buying?? (none if yamaha is building because they are junk!)

Ok the built a killer 4-storke! Whatever it weight a ton!

Just seem to me that yamaha falls behind.

Its not because they dont race, its because they just built a big sled that alot of people dont need/or have a use for!

They are a joke, hopefully they leave the sport!
catman_snowpro

Postby MM700 » November 19th, 2002, 6:13 pm

WHAT??????? it's good testing for future sleds???
Have you ridden, a Fire Cat??? Have you ridden a standard ZR????.......I have!!!!...and I'll take the Zr 900 or 800 for that matter over any Fire Cat on any long trail ride....and even better give me the RX-1...for a 200 mile day on groomed trails..it will be an awesome sled.....are you kidding me???.....I am so sick to death of these Tucker Hibbert wanna be's on this site....I ride all conditions, all winter..a lot off trail..but if I was gonna put high miles on each year on a trail I'd take the Rx-1.....if I was a Cat man I'd easily take the Zr 900 over a FireCat for long days in the saddle, and if I was a Ski-Doo man..I'd rather have the 600 Ho adrenline over the REV...everything depends on where you ride and how you ride, and to a lesser degree...believe it or not.."how tall you are"...think about it...
MM700

Postby hugeair » November 19th, 2002, 10:59 pm

Bandit SRX, I understand the marketing thing. Now explain it to these other guys.

You Yamaha guys sound like a broken record. "We don't care about who wins races. All you racer wanna-be's bla bla bla"

Seems as though you either can't read what we're telling you, or you just don't get it. It's NOT about being a "tucker Hibber wanna-be". It's about R&D, testing, improving, making things better for the consumer, and, yes, marketing.

But you guys are too thick to understand all that.
hugeair

Postby BANDITS SRX » November 20th, 2002, 12:07 am

hugeair, go and ask 10 companys that race who controlls the budget. The R&D dept. is not part of racing in most companys. Yamaha Motorcycle racing is not part of R&D or product testing. GM does not test car and trucks by racing. If you had to race to make a good product we would see more forms of snowmobile racing.
BANDITS SRX

PreviousNext

Return to Trash Talkers