Subscribe Today

Boo Hoo Hoo..... Racings not fair.....

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby hugeair » November 21st, 2002, 2:02 am

Thanks Blake. I think you helped prove my point. I was not arguing with you, but with the others who say that racing is not used for R&D. You also note the fact that it's a losing proposition. So why would they spend the $$$ on it if the "ditch-banger" market is the smallest segment of snowmobilers? Answer--product development.

Here is a question for you: Is it possible that Yamaha used racing ONLY for R&D and not for marketing, and really had no strong desire to win? Maybe they then realized that showing up to race and losing just for R&D was hurting them more than helping them. It's just a theory. Probably wrong, but nobody else seems to know exactly why they dropped racing.
hugeair

Postby ATV News moderator » November 21st, 2002, 2:19 am

You could be right, but in Yamaha's case, there Pro Open sleds were so far from what the consumer could get. I don't think there was ever an intention to give consumers a 800cc twin, even though they had one for racing. I don't think that the consumer would ever get all kinds of carbon fiber parts, even though they raced with them. Rumor had it that a Factory Yamaha Snocross sled cost about 100 grand in terms of parts and development time. That's a ton of dough.

It's not just sleds, either. They are backing off roadracing, too. You could make the same arguments about the R7 superbike that we make about Yamaha Pro Open snocross sleds. I think that there is a big movement in all companies to trim budgets, and racing is typically one of the first to get cut.

ATV News moderator

Postby hugeair » November 21st, 2002, 2:30 am

Good enough. I always hoped Yamaha would put the rear skid from their sno-cross sled into a production sled. Maybe they still will, but I have heard that it usues a huge monoshock that costs a pretty penny and is prone to blowing out (as Vincent displayed in Syracuse). As you say, the cost is the reason it never made it to production.
hugeair

Postby BANDITS SRX » November 21st, 2002, 4:52 am

Yamaha is still very much into roadracing. They did stop racing Superbike with the R7 but they have both GP500cc 2S and the new GP990cc 4S bikes. The 750cc sportbikes are not big sellers so why race them. They have teams racing the R1 and R6. They still spend alot of time racing YZ's both 2S and 4S. Many of these teams have money coming from outside the sport just like NASCAR.
BANDITS SRX

Postby ATV News moderator » November 21st, 2002, 5:56 am

I never said they were getting out of roadracing, I said they were "backing off".

The R7 was not even truly avaliable to the public. Plus, even if you could get one, they cost something like $34,000. I mentioned outside sponsorship in an eariler post, what I am referring to is a pure "Factory" race effort.
ATV News moderator

Postby NorthernSkunk » November 21st, 2002, 6:43 am

Pretty soon a yamaha 4 stroke "high performance" sled is gonna cost 34,000 dollars as well.
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Postby lefraf » November 21st, 2002, 7:06 am

Good point Powersports.
Arctic-Catastrophe, first in loyalty, last in reliability.
lefraf

Previous

Return to Trash Talkers