Subscribe Today

Break in

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Break in

Postby hugeair » November 22nd, 2002, 12:15 am

Ken, this guy lumped all 4 stroke engines into 1 category. Crank bearings in a vehicle are not ball bearings.
hugeair

Break in

Postby 7up Yours » November 22nd, 2002, 12:46 am

I have never broke in an egine on a sled yet, since I have not had the privialedge to own a brand spankin' new one ........Yet. But I have bought my last two sleds from my brother who races cross-country. I asked him what was his technique, and he responded: "Well, I uncrate it, and gas in the gas tank, and oil in the oil tank.........I don't pre-mix gas and oil anymore, as I have found it to be a waste of time. Then I run it hard so hard I am afraid it (the sled) will blow up. Then I look at the engine to see if the seals held......And they do". He thinks breaking in does not help the full out top end performance, and opts not to even try. He belive it or not has had good luck with this stratagy. If you guys worry about longevity of the engine, I have bought some of his raced machine after the season is over and I have not encountered any issues from improper break-in. But keep in mind he tears the engine down more time in that first season, everything works good. That's my input for you.
Make 7........Up Yours.
7up Yours

Break in

Postby ArcticEd » November 22nd, 2002, 1:12 am

I've always prefered to heat cycle a new motor..... Bring it up to operating temperature and let it cool completely...... A half dozen times or so will do. The reason that manufacturers have you run pre-mix in the first tank has little to do with break in and everything to do with reducing warranty claims..... It's a safeguard in the event that there is a bubble in the oil lines. Oh, and Ken...The crank bearings on a 2 stroke ARE NOT sealed bearings, they have to be open inside the case in order to be lubricated.... The crank seals are installed outboard of the bearing in the case in order to maintain pressure and prevent raw air from being drawn into the engine, resulting in a lean condition and subsequent seizure........
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Break in

Postby kenlacy » November 22nd, 2002, 1:18 am

Ed - my bad - I was having a strange day.

Huge, I could be wrong about them being ball bearings, It just seems the last time I tore down an engine 4-5 years ago, they were ball bearings in the crank. what style are they?
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Break in

Postby M10rules » November 22nd, 2002, 1:23 am

In most 2 stroke (all that I have tore apart) they use a roller style bearing (either ball or Timken) for the crank. In 4 strokes they use mostly a plane bearing (not exactly sure if that the name, old age kicking in:) ).
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Break in

Postby hugeair » November 22nd, 2002, 3:16 am

Ken, I was not saying your wrong about sled engines. I was just saying that the guy on the link was kind of grouping all engines together, and I was just stating that car and truck engines don't have ball bearings or roller bearings for crank engines, that's all.

This is very interesting to me, though. I've always believed in breaking an engine in the way the manufacturers recommend. Hey, I could be wrong.

*This Message was edited on 22-Nov-02 08:18 AM by hugeair*
hugeair

Break in

Postby hugeair » November 22nd, 2002, 5:42 am

Ed, did you go to the link and look over this guy's site? He says that the "heat cycle" method is a myth. Scroll down and check it out.

I'm not arguing with ya, just wondering what your thoughts are.
hugeair

Break in

Postby kenlacy » November 22nd, 2002, 5:57 am

This conversation is going on - on a few different boards - I just pulled this from another

"That pretty much describes how I've broke in my last 3 street bikes...although I didn't change the oil till around 100 miles.....gonna change out the next ones at the 20 mile mark......can't be too careful. This is how my instructors at MMI told us to break in a motor(although we were supposed to keep our mouth shut around the customers to avoid a liability issue!)"

MMI for those of you who don't know is Motorcycle Mechanics Institute.

Just thought that was interesting.

Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Break in

Postby SLEDHEADRED » November 22nd, 2002, 7:01 am

When I had the engine built for the Monte, the engine builder fired it up with me.
This is the statement he made to me.
Lets bring her up to temperature, then go out and run the phuck out of it!!
If it is gonna break,it's gonna break.
So you guys know, he gave me a 6 month warranty on my engine!!
So I beleive him!!!!
Matter of fact, I left anincredible 200ft posi burnout in front of his shop, just so he knew i was there!!LOL
JOIN A CLUB
[url=http://WWW.DRIFTSKIPPERS.COM]The Driftskippers[/url]
SLEDHEADRED

Previous

Return to Trash Talkers