Subscribe Today

Break in

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Break in

Postby kenlacy » November 20th, 2002, 6:57 pm

Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Break in

Postby slick_jimmyb » November 20th, 2002, 7:54 pm

I forgot...Are 2 stroke jugs cross-hatched?
REV-ROX
slick_jimmyb

Break in

Postby Maxx4 » November 21st, 2002, 4:42 am

This guys facts are off.....

Yes snowmobiles have cross-hatch in the cylinders.
http://66.66.95.123/Stanton2002/imagepages/image1.htm
Maxx4

Break in

Postby hugeair » November 21st, 2002, 4:45 am

I got to the part that said "The break-in process is only about the rings" and that's where I checked out. What an ass.

Did this guy ever hear of bearings, bushings, etc? There are a lot of moving parts in an engine, not just rings.
hugeair

Break in

Postby deadsled » November 21st, 2002, 4:47 am

I don't think I would trust that just because some bozo put it on a web site. For all I know, it was some guy trying to drum up a little business for his bike repair shop. I would wait till I heard it from a source or two or more that I trusted.
I am currently riding a yamaha 4S. Who would have guessed?
deadsled

Break in

Postby kenlacy » November 21st, 2002, 5:45 am

you guys are funny. What is so wrong about what he is saying - I am just curious. I am not that knowledgable in that area - but I have heard from many people over the years to break motors in hard.

Maxx4 - what facts are off? just curious.

Hugair - you don't need to break in a bearing or bushing - or I should say, it doesn't matter how you break in a bearing or a bushing.

My sleds that I have owned I have never waited 200 miles for anything except long wide open throttle runs. Usually after about 5 miles I will start bursting my throttle once in a while and go on from there.

I am not saying this guy is right - you guys just seem so sure he is wrong, I am just curious as to why?
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Break in

Postby M10rules » November 21st, 2002, 5:54 am

I wouldn't break any engine in this way! The cross-hatch NEVER goes away if an engine is maintained properly. Another words, don't seize it! As for the rings seating and wearing, they do that the whole time the engine is used, whether it is brand new or 20 years old w/200,000 miles. Ever hear of someone re-ringing the engine? THat is exactly what is being done. They needed new rings because the old one wore away. THey don't just wear the first few times the engine is run like this guy seems to be claiming. THe way I break my engines in is trail riding (no lake)for the first tank of gas. First tank is premixed 50:1.
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Break in

Postby M10rules » November 21st, 2002, 5:58 am

Ken, I would recommend following very close to how the owner's manual says to break it in. A good mechanic can tell if you didn't break your sled in properly if he takes the engine apart (ie: engine needs repair) If it wasn't broke in properly, warranty won't cover it.
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Break in

Postby Xtreme XC » November 21st, 2002, 6:26 am

I'm gonna have to agree with this guy. I saw break it in how your gonna ride it. My XC8 was broke in hard last season (50 miles of grass drags on it before it saw snow) and that thing ran better than it ever should have.
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/buddypaw/smallpic.jpg[/IMG]
Xtreme XC

Break in

Postby hugeair » November 21st, 2002, 6:30 am

Ken, bearings don't need to be broken in?? I don't know about that statement. We're not talking about timken bearings here, or ball bearings, we're talking about engine bearings like the rod and crank bearings. I'd feel much better breaking any motor in the way ALL engine manufacturers suggest. But then again, maybe they are just trying to avoid warranty claims?!
hugeair

Next

Return to Trash Talkers