Subscribe Today

My $0.02 for the "Future Of Snowmobiling"

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby WinterRocks » January 4th, 2003, 1:17 am

Hey guys im back. Couldnt get to the computer, too busy SLEDING! lol. Well i had a chance to go up against a RX-1 with my 99 XC6. Im not gonna give anyone the idea that i beat him. I know that its faster than a 600. But i was not really impressed. We started at a rolling start of 30mph, and went till we ran out of feild.

The contestants: 2002 RX-1 Mountian
- stock
1999 Polaris XC600
- 136x1 1/2 track
- RSR boost bottle
- D&G cannister:)
IT was very close up to 80mph or so then he started to pull away. I took him from 30mph-about 50mph.

I was really not impressed.
Next we were banging through the ditches. The small finger drifts i would hit and get air, he would hit them and they would explode.

Now this is My $0.02 for the "Future Of Snowmobiling":

I dont think that 4 Stroke is the way to go. I think that the way to go is the Direct Injection 2 stroke. Just like in a Fuel Injected car,truck,ect. I have seen some of those collage challanges, most of them have 4 Strokes but they all got cleaned up by the ones who had the DI(direct injection)

I know this isnt a new idea but what do you guys think to this?
Peace, im outta here like yesterday~!
WinterRocks

Postby 01xedge » January 4th, 2003, 1:23 am

I think your going to see more DI two stokes. They got them to running clearer than 4s.
01xedge

Postby WinterRocks » January 4th, 2003, 1:31 am

Thats what im saying. 4STROKE IS NOT THE WAY TO GO! IF you want great power to weight ratio, do some R&D on the DI 2stroke.(i hope some manufacters are on this site)

Im interested in what PowerSports has to say about this
WinterRocks

Postby slick_jimmyb » January 4th, 2003, 1:47 am

And yet another one see's the light!!!
REV-ROX
slick_jimmyb

Postby WinterRocks » January 4th, 2003, 2:31 am

I never was "pro" 4 stroke
WinterRocks

Postby randy yocom » January 4th, 2003, 3:30 am

so what is skidoo doing with the d.i. technology they inherited when they bought bankrupt o.m.c.??also;polaris and i believe cat paid johnson-evinrude big bucks for the direct-injection technology. does ski-doo owe cat-polaris this technology even though the original ''checks'' were made out to now defunct O.M.C. corperation? i hope we all see D.I. soon and the 2-strokes survival!!-mantaman.
randy yocom
randy yocom

Postby p-ryde42 » January 4th, 2003, 3:52 am

You will see 4 -strokes,DI 2-strokes,EFI 2-Strokes and 2-strokes for many years. Just like outboards. Also DI is not like EFI on cars LOL. The auto companys are work on DI 4-Strokes. I like the efact that I can pick the best sled for me 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
p-ryde42

My $0.02 for the

Postby WinterRocks » January 4th, 2003, 4:22 am

p-ryde42-i ment by the carb just being a throttle body and having injectors.

*This Message was edited on 04-Jan-03 09:23 AM by WinterRocks*
WinterRocks

Postby p-ryde42 » January 4th, 2003, 9:37 am

WR, You will see both and you can by 2 strokes and i can buy 4 strokes. Yamaha builds both 2 stroke and 4 stroke YZ's and they sell good numbers of both. The 4 strokes are great bikes. The YZ250F (4-stroke) was picked MX bike of the year by one of top MX mag. KTM125 was second and the YZ125 was third.
If you look at the PWC market most companys are heading down the 4 stroke road. And polaris and sea-doo have DI but they are hard to sell next to the 4 strokes models. Companys will still build whst the customer will buy.
p-ryde42

Postby Campy4 » January 4th, 2003, 11:11 am

WinterRocks, having a throttle body and injectors is basically EFI. Incoming air is measured by a Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF), and the precise amount of gas is calculated and injected into the intake upstream of the valves, (or in our case, the ports) and mixes with the air in the intake and in the cylinder. With direct injection, the same process occurs with the MAF, except that the gasoline is injected straight into the cylinder and mixes with incoming air right in the cylinder. The gasoline is more atomized because it gets a better swirl, and all that fun stuff, and results in a cleaner burn with more power.
EFI is used heavily in the automotive industry. In fact, it's difficult to buy a gasoline car that doesn't have EFI supplying the fuel. Direct Injection is making an entrance, however, in the diesel market. Volkswagen already has one diesel engine in the states that uses direct injection, a 1.9L SOHC turbo-diesel straight four (Golf, Jetta, Beetle) pushing 90hp and 155lb-ft of torque, 42-49mpg. There are probably a handful of other diesels that use direct injection offered in the states, but more are on the way, for sure.

Personally, I think a turbo'd direct injection engine could be quite potent in a snowmobile in certain application. They're fuel-misers, and they make amazing amounts of torque for their size.

Speaking of which, weren't there rumors floating about that Arctic Cat was toying with this idea?

Anyway, back to the point, I think p-ryde is correct. I can see manufacturers offering some combination of carb, EFI, DI, 2-stroke, 4-stroke, and diesel in their lineups.
Campy4

Next

Return to Trash Talkers