Subscribe Today

Anyone had a heat exchanger welded?

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby zert » March 15th, 2003, 4:08 am

Hey guys a stud went through my front heat exchanger on my ZR. It is welded to the bulkhead and the dealer says about $2,500 for replacement. A new bulkhead is necessary along with parts and labor of switching everything to a new chassis. I've heard of guys having the hole in the heat exchanger welded but I don't know if it works or if it will hold up. Anyone have any advice or experience?
zert

Postby bad-ass-zx800 » March 15th, 2003, 4:32 am

Hey Zert last year grass dragin the 01 800 we had a stud go through the heat exchanger instead of $330 for a new one we had it welded. A guy i know told use its no problem to have it welded and he knew i guy that would do it. For $100 we had it welded and it looks great and have not had a problem with it since. Not sure how the guy did it but he put something in the heat exchanger when he welded it so it would not block off any of the cooland flow passage ways or however you wanna put it LOL. Just make sure if you have it welded that you take it to somebody who knows that there doing and does the job right. I know a few people that have had them welded with no problem at all.
[b]05 Black REV X 800
144 Woodys Signature Series Studs - 1.175"
C@A Razor Skis
Stud Boy Shaper Bars 6"
J@T Ceramic Coated silencer.[/b]
bad-ass-zx800

Postby Longtrack Lady » March 15th, 2003, 4:35 am

Hey Zert! Good Luck. You will really need to find someone that is good with welding aluminum. We have had heat exchangers welded up (changed, etc). Everything has to be real clean and the one welding has to be real good. We have went through different welders til we found one that could do it (Only costs us a case of Corona each time, lol) Course, he has only welded them out of the chassis. If welded properly, they hold up no problem. Just my .02 :)
Longtrack Lady

Postby Long time cat man » March 15th, 2003, 5:31 am

I knew a guy in the Plant before I retired who could weld anything, and he was dam good at it. Like everyone here is telling you, it CAN be welded. But aluminum takes more expertise! Just find the right person.
Long time cat man

Postby RIGGS » March 15th, 2003, 7:22 am

My SRX is welded. Just find someone that will say, "no sweat, I can do that, I've done it before" and go with it...
if they say, "well maybe?, it's a bit tricky?, but we'll try it?" then move along to the next vendor. It's not that big of a deal if you can find someone that's welded it before.
[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/trumannsdad]My web page[/url]
RIGGS

Postby slick_jimmyb » March 15th, 2003, 9:25 am

J.B. Weld...Gods gift to the modern mechanic. :)
REV-ROX
slick_jimmyb

Postby XC countryclub » March 15th, 2003, 1:47 pm

dont give this job to any body you dont absolutely trust to do it right or prob will come back and leak, as slick jimmy mentions i have had
excellent success with JB WELD or similar epoxy
it really holds
water even after several seasons
XC countryclub

Postby M10rules » March 15th, 2003, 1:49 pm

We ran the Soo-500 with a heat exchanger fixed from the year before with JB Weld, if you are looking at just finishing the year with it do JB and go.
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Postby SLEDHEADRED » March 15th, 2003, 11:21 pm

A couple years ago on christmas eve, a local welding compnay welded the exchanger on My bud's Machz, he charged us a 12 pack of Beer then drank it with us!
JOIN A CLUB
[url=http://WWW.DRIFTSKIPPERS.COM]The Driftskippers[/url]
SLEDHEADRED

Postby Snotcicles » March 16th, 2003, 1:17 am

Zert, I am a fabricator where I work and I can tell you if you find a competent welder, it will be as good as new. I would offer to do it for you but my aluminum experience is limited.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

Next

Return to Trash Talkers