Subscribe Today

Hey Skunk...pssst....Yamaha kicking cat ass on the local Lak

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Hey Skunk...pssst....Yamaha kicking cat ass on the local Lake...LMAO!!!!

Postby Yamanator » December 30th, 2003, 2:02 am

People still refuse to give the RX1 any credit... Open straight out power is what its good at.

Edit: Now if we could just get a decent snowcross sled I'd be happy =).
Max out or black out.
Yamanator

Postby Turkster » December 30th, 2003, 2:26 am

You won,t reliably get 300+ hp from turboing the RX-1. Main reason the turboed r-1 bike engine makes more power is cus it run 12-14,000 rpm & has had the pistons, cam, crank, heads...everything modified. The guys are running 10,500 rpm on a turboed RX-1 with a simple bolt on & maybe a thicker head gasket to reduce compression.
Turkster

Postby SUPERDUTY-MXZ8 » December 30th, 2003, 3:38 am

Let see how "Trail Friendly" a 350hp (If they'll even get that much out of them which I highly doubt they will) RX-1Ton would be! :R
SUPERDUTY-MXZ8

Postby Xtreme XC » December 30th, 2003, 4:14 am

Pol-Cat, the only way XCR/Mach will go poof is if they are set up wrong... same thing goes with the RX-1. How many lbs of boost do you think the RX is getting an increase of to get it's 300hp?? That's deffinatly not any trailable hp with either the RX or the XCR/Mach. Trailable HP for both the RX and triples is in the 210-220hp range on pump gas and both are safe to do unless set up wrong. I had a '00 XCR turbo a year ago. But I didn't get a chance to play with it as much as I would've liked to. It was dyned at 215 on pump gas, 249.3hp on 110 with 10lbs and 300.3 at 15lbs on C16.
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/buddypaw/smallpic.jpg[/IMG]
Xtreme XC

Postby Pol-Cat » December 30th, 2003, 8:13 am

I learned most of this a year and a half ago while down in miami vacationing, driving around town come across 20-30 bikes and 20-30 hotrods, being a car nut the wife and I stopped and checked out the cars, after looking at cars we wandered down the lot to look at all the tricked out bikes, almost all were lowered, had stretched swing arms and had either turbos or n20. Most all the modded bikes had aftermarket pistons, but the only bike that had a aftermarket bottom end was a 1300 susuki, he said stock bottom ends will take 300-350hp and he had to upgrade because after putting n20 on his turboed 1300 it put 410hp to the tire. Most bikes had a couple thousand miles on them and when they left nobody had driveability issues that I could see. I never claimed the rx-1 would be "trail friendly", it could in fact be trail friendly with 300hp as far as motor performance goes, but of course the clutching could never handled that kind of power. Where snowmobile aftermarket guys lag behind is the ability to properly program the ignition curve to make all that power feasible. Ignition programing is also why a xcr 800 WILL NOT run long at 15psi, no matter what octane fuel is used. For lake racing the clutch could work for shorter runs, thats more of the point I was trying to make. Last year through out the winter there were 3-4 different rx-1's setup for strickly ice racing and they all had bender turbo kits on them, those were the type of people I was finger pointing at about stepping up to the better turbo units.
SDMXZ8: I wasn't trying to say Daly's dumb or doesn't know whats going on, if I was a drag racer I would love to have Daly setup the chassis or do the clutching for me, my point is that while he's one of the best engine guys in the snowmobile world, outside the snowmobile world he's maybe middle pack, I haven't seen a crank shop sticker on McGraths bike or on any other professional motorsport machine. Just trying to give people the edge over the same thing everybody else is running at the lake.
My vision is better then my hearing...shut up and show me something.
Pol-Cat

Postby dave583 » December 30th, 2003, 9:03 am

You wont get 300 horses to hook up on snow. I like the srx's they are fast and rail like no other, even if they are heavy they dont feel like it. My buddy has had 2, even though I am die hard ski-doo I would consider buying one.They are great sleds.
dave583

Postby Xtreme XC » December 30th, 2003, 9:54 am

With a head girdle and solid mounting plate an XCR will last just as long as a RX. What the RX-1 motor had going for it (along with other rice rocket motors) is it's monoblock configuration. The monoblock is stronger in that it is one peice vs having separate cylinders. What happens with a boosted motor is the crank and cases will start to flex under load. This extends into cracking of cylinders and blowing of base gaskets if the cylinders aren't "tied together". Ignition has nothing to do with it. The 2-stroke CDI can be programmed wherever you want it to go, along as you know where you want it to go. As far as any burn down issues, that's just carb setup. Would I want to trailride a XCR at 15lbs of boost? No... simply because it won't last as long, and neither would a RX-1 at those same loads.
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/buddypaw/smallpic.jpg[/IMG]
Xtreme XC

Postby Yamanator » December 30th, 2003, 12:51 pm

Err Superduty if you made those modifications it would be fairly obvious that it wouldn't be "trail friendly." Thats not what it would be for. Would be like mocking the top speed of a 440 rev set up for snowcross. Completely different purpose.

Also Pol-Cat brings up a good point. I come from a superbike background (04 Honda VFR 800, its no busa but set up right she'll rip), they are masters at mods. Snowmobiles are on the tail end of technology in that regard.
Max out or black out.
Yamanator

Previous

Return to Trash Talkers