Subscribe Today

Drag racing my powder special - do I stand a chance???

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby kawicat » March 11th, 2004, 4:55 pm

in a drag race its less important (not saying it would hurt you either) than say speed runs or radar runs.

ed- is a couple hours of tuning worth $700? :)
[[green]RIDE HARD, PLAY HARD, STAY HARD, DIE HARD![/green]
kawicat

Postby reelrazor » March 11th, 2004, 5:03 pm

Hahahaha, yeah put the splitfires in it, that'll do it!!

Taking bets on the other guys.
JGW

No substitutions for revolutions
reelrazor

Postby Catterman » March 12th, 2004, 5:40 am

Thanks for the info guys, I will see what I can do!

I agree that back in Minnesota I wouldn't stand a chance, but up here everything is so old. Everything has to be flown in by an airplane because we are not on a road system so it is very expensive for people to get new machines. I have yet to see a Firecat up here. This is the only racing event of the winter and everyone just takes their normal sleds to run in it. Nobody has a pure "racing sled". If nothing else it will be fun! I will let you guys know how it goes. Let me know if you think of anything else.

And yes, I know that "splitfires" won't win me a race, I just put that down implying that I am open to ideas.
1990 Arctic Cat Cougar
1990 Arctic Cat Prowler
1998 Arctic Cat Powder Special 600 EFI
2004 Arctic Cat 400 4x4
The best wife in the world!!!
Catterman

Postby Burky » March 12th, 2004, 8:28 am

Practice launching it so you can minimize track spin. You need to be as far back as you can be initially, using your body as a movable weight. Once you get rolling, then you can hammer down on it and you shouldn't spin the track then. The guys that spin and roostertail off the line look cool, but that isn't the hot ticket for getting down the track with good speed.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Postby Catterman » March 15th, 2004, 8:51 am

Well here is my report, we pulled up to the start and I guess you have to have a tether cord to race, we didn't have ours. So we found someone else with a ZR500, and disconnected his and then disconnected our key switch and put in his tether. While we were doing this we of course missed the test runs to see how the course was. Anyway, we pull up to the start, I had about 2.5 gallons in the tank, I loosened up the track, and had new plugs and a belt, I also put the track on the lowest setting in the tunnel, with the overload springs up. I didn't gear it down, just because I couldn't figure out how to do it... I had my wife race, she jumps on and while up at the starting line (against a Polaris Edge X) she waits for the lights, I wasn't bright enough to tell her to start gunning it after the last yellow goes out, just before the green goes on. So she gets beat off the line by about 4 sled lengths. The race is only 690 ft, and she actually almost caught the guy and lost by only half a length. Double elimination, so her next race is against a supped up XLT. This time she knows how to start, and she took the early lead and won by a lot. Back in the winners bracket! Our next race was with a XCR, everything was going good, she didn't get the greatest start, but she caught up to him, the our machine cut out for a second like it wasn't getting any gas, and we lost... I don't know why or what happened, I wanted to fill it up to 4 gallons of gas but we just didn't have time. And I know we should have showed up soon to the start of the race, but I had a meeting for work and I couldn't miss it. Oh well, now I know for next year! We actually posted the fastest time with our winning run, so that makes us feel good. Fastest of the day went to a F7, he just got it and is the only Firecat in town. Just like the Brooklyn Dodgers, "Wait until next year!" Thanks for all your help guys!
1990 Arctic Cat Cougar
1990 Arctic Cat Prowler
1998 Arctic Cat Powder Special 600 EFI
2004 Arctic Cat 400 4x4
The best wife in the world!!!
Catterman

Postby ArcticEd » March 15th, 2004, 9:00 am

Sounds like you guys had a good time. Glad to hear it.
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Previous

Return to Trash Talkers