Subscribe Today

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Postby BUSHMAN » January 4th, 2002, 1:22 am

INDIAN RIVER MI. HAD A SNOWMOBILE DEATH AFTER THE RIDER HIT A DEER AND LOST CONTROL OF THE SLED SATURDAY EVENING. PLEASE BE CAREFULL OUT THERE.
Riding is so much better than talking about riding!
BUSHMAN

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Postby CatmanZR800 » January 4th, 2002, 1:34 am

Good point BUSHMAN!

Last year (April) at my Cat dealership, my dealer showed me a brand new 2002 (yes, a 2002) that was busted up from a deer. The rider just got the sled that weekend and hit a deer at about 40mph (64km). The rider suffered a broken shoulder and right arm. He was very lucky that the deer mostly flew over the windshield without a direct hit into him.

I can't remember if the deer busted him up or it was from him flying off the sled.

But, talk about bad luck! A sled this guy had for less than a weekend, was totaled!
WARNING! Cats are meat eaters!
CatmanZR800

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Postby zrcat » January 4th, 2002, 1:41 am

We've had 2 deaths so far this year. No where is there enough snow to ride either in this state. One was a 6yr old who's sled had a frozen throttle cable and brake cable. Hit a tree and was killed in his own back yard. ?!?!?
The other was a case of unfamiliarity with the sled. passenger got killed, driver lived. Hit trees.

My bad, the kid was 9yrs old. Just got a helmet for Christmas and put it on to go out and try it out, got killed.

*This Message was edited on 04-Jan-02 09:42 AM by zrcat*
zrcat

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Postby ArcticEd » January 4th, 2002, 1:45 am

I hit a deer on the first real ride on my new 97 ZR580. I got on the brake HARD, and thought I was in the clear. Unfortunately, the deer tripped or stumbled on the ski hoops, and fell into the side of the sled, along the hood, and ultimately caught my right knee, tearing me off of the sled. WOW, kinda like getting hit by a linebacker!!! After i rolled a time or two, I sat up, saw little more than the deer's tail bounding thru the woods, and them looked at my still idling sled, It had gone on to hit the only tree for 60 feet.About $1600 worth of damage. You better believe I hunted harder than ever the following Deer season!
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Postby Captain » January 4th, 2002, 4:45 am

A few years ago there was a guy riding between Duluth and Two Harbors and hit a freakin Moose! It was in such a remote area they had to airlift him. I think he lived and so did the moose. The top half of his sled was torn off, but the moose walked away.
Captain

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Postby Drewman » January 4th, 2002, 5:27 am

Just missed an Elk north of Atlanta, MI. two years ago. It walked out into the road just as I went into a low spot at a creek crossing, as I came out he was standing right in front of me. Just barely squeezed between his azz and the plowed snow bank at about 40mph, the SOB just stood there, watched me go by, then slowly walked off in to the woods. Elk don't spook for s**t._____________DREW

*This Message was edited on 04-Jan-02 10:31 AM by Drewman*
[green][b]I LOVE THE SMELL OF TWO-STROKE IN THE MORNING[/b][/green]
Black 01 ZL800esr, Ya I got mirrors, all the better to see how far back you are
Drewman

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Postby MXZinger » January 4th, 2002, 5:52 am

We have a saying up this way "Brake for moose, it will save your life." I tell you I shot a 1200 # moose this past seoson and it toke 8 men and a come-a-long to load that on a snowmobile trailer.I could not even imagine what it would do to you if you hit one with a sled. They total cars and kill people ever year from hitting them with a truck.ouch. Best thing would be to drive between there legs and pray.
Trash Talkers: Home of the "Count the dead Arctic Cats contest"
MXZinger

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Postby Campy4 » January 4th, 2002, 7:36 am

zrcat, I don't know HOW that 9 year old kid could have even been riding. My brother goes to school up in Presque Isle, and he says that there's only enough snow to cover up the grass in the places where it's drifted... though, that could be what caused the accident. No snow = no steering.

Though, we do have enough snow to ride here in the central part of the state... but not a whole lot...

As for the other death... my personal opinion was that it had more to do with speed than anything else. Also, there were two people on a single-seat sled (brand new '02 ZR600... I saw it sitting in the driver's truck the morning of that accident, very nice sled), but I really don't think it would have mattered if they'd been on a two-up or not... you hit a tree at that speed, you're in trouble.

*This Message was edited on 04-Jan-02 12:38 PM by Campy4*
Campy4

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Postby CatmanZR800 » January 4th, 2002, 7:52 am

I hit a deer once and venison jerky popped out of the handlebars.

Arctic Cat Inc. stoled my idea!!
WARNING! Cats are meat eaters!
CatmanZR800

SNOWMOBILER HITS DEER

Postby SlapNuts » January 4th, 2002, 7:59 am

Sort of like sex with RoseAnne eh Zinger
SlapNuts

Next

Return to Trash Talkers