Subscribe Today

Doo A-arms

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Doo A-arms

Postby zrcat » January 16th, 2002, 6:22 am

Phuck, not this topic again.....Any engineers out there!! Oh yea, me....Listen, even in a frontal, the "A" frame design is stronger, Much stronger than the T-arm. The attachment points of the A frame are much harder to rip out. If you actually rip an A frame out, you are probably going to be a hurtin' unit yourself. Bang a long square hollow tube on the end, as in a T-arm, what's holding it back, nothing but one bolt screwed in perpedicular to the arm. This is going to result in a complete tear-out or just shear the bolt off. And the hiem ends are not going to hold in place either. They'll rip out of the control rods with very little effort.
Picture this, if you were to hold a piece of steel over your head that lets say is three feet long and one that is 12 inches long, which is gonna be easier to bend. Using the exact same grip and technique, the leverage the longer piece affords is gonna be easier to bend.
Whats stronger, an A-frame house, or a flat roofed one. C'mon, put some physics to use before you spew out crap guys......
zrcat

Doo A-arms

Postby MXZinger » January 16th, 2002, 6:30 am

Tell Morgan that! Morgan was quoted saying it was the same typical problem he had in the Arctic Cat.HUMMMMMM
Trash Talkers: Home of the "Count the dead Arctic Cats contest"
MXZinger

Doo A-arms

Postby yak165 » January 16th, 2002, 7:11 am

No kidding he's going to say that. What's he going to say, "oh, I made a mistake"....
yak165

Doo A-arms

Postby Snotcicles » January 16th, 2002, 11:41 am

Tell Morgan, dude, it was those cat arms that got him to where he is now. Oh, maybe his talent too, LOL.

Question for ZRCat: hey you definately spell it out the way I would on the basic superiority of the design of an A-arm suspension. My question is this, isn't the new sno-pro A-arms inherently weaker by design than the AWS-V simply because thier using a bent tube on the upper arm? I brought this up before but no real debate.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

Doo A-arms

Postby zrcat » January 16th, 2002, 10:32 pm

Yup, the new design has got to be weaker if all other dimensions and materials were left the same. CAT supposedly used a thicker walled tubing to keep the rigidity the same. Because the "A" frame on the upper piece is not an actual "A" design,it is inherently weaker. That is if all were comparable like I said, mat't and dimensionally.
Also, Morgan NEVER had trouble with CAT's front end. I don't even believe he said that.
Look at the DOO design and how open the pieces are. They don't even look stout enough.
zrcat

Doo A-arms

Postby hugeair » January 17th, 2002, 12:35 am

They new ones would only be weaker from a side-impact, though. Am I wrong about this zrcat?

Also, do you think that bending them rearward to move a negligable amount of weight towards the center of the sled is worth the trade-off in strength?
hugeair

Doo A-arms

Postby zrcat » January 17th, 2002, 1:45 am

I think you are right to a certain degree. I'll bet, if you were to whack the top a-frame on the end, (side type impact) it'll always bend toward the rear of the sled, considering thats where the bend is already built in. I think the frontal impact would be more likely to bend a bit easier only because of the amount of leverage provided.
Remember though, CAT did change dimensions of mat'l so that if anything, it is no weaker than the AWSV. The bottom Frame is really where all the stregnth is. The upper more or less acts as the caster control.
zrcat

Doo A-arms

Postby Bunt » January 17th, 2002, 2:10 am

I'm not an engineer, but if you've ever been to the races and taken a look at the sleds you'll find the answer of durability. I've seen so many of those T-arm sleds come off the track just bent to hell or broken. Not everyone has had this happen, but quite a few guys that I know have. Also walk around and look at the how many "fixed" arms you find. They are the ones with the not so stock welds, creases, or custom spray paint wound cover up!!!!
Bunt

Doo A-arms

Postby straycat » January 17th, 2002, 2:42 am

One prob. that I did see with cats new upper this past weekend was bent shocks. One of the new snowpros was runnig and got in a tangle with another sled and ended up with a bent shock. I kind of thought that this may happen but I figured cat would have thought of that.
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Doo A-arms

Postby zrcat » January 17th, 2002, 2:47 am

That could've resulted in a direct blow to the shock itself. You are right though, the shock has lost some degree of protection being in front of the upper arm.
zrcat

PreviousNext

Return to Trash Talkers