Subscribe Today

Yammy people RX-1 Woes...........

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby Luv2sled » January 17th, 2002, 11:27 pm

Maybe some of you fellow tuners out there can relate to this.......it's become very apparent to me that within the Yammy camp there are a lot of Yammy faithful not too hip on the direction Yammy is taking us (i.e. RX-1). Just chatting with some of the big time tuners and tuning and racing buddies of my own, that's the impression I'm getting. Hell, I think the non-Yammy people are more enthused about this new four stroker than most of the Yammy faithful are.

One of my good tuning buddies put it in perspective for me last night.....and I 100% agree with him. Imagine tuning two stroke sleds for 20+ years knowing the dang things inside and out and having your heart set on the next latest and greatest two stroke monster when all of the sudden the high performance sled ends up being a four stroke. You get the sled home, pop the hood and start to scratch your head. You realize that you know have to re-learn everything all over again. It's kind of depressing. I think my tuning days might have just come to an end.
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

Postby NorthernSkunk » January 18th, 2002, 12:15 am

2 strokes will be around for a bit luv2. Can you imagine though once some people with too much money start moddin up their 4 strokes, the costs will get ridiculous. It will definitly price some of us out of the high performance end of the market. Plus I bet the insurance companies use 4 strokes in some ridiculous way to raise their rates.

I picture the rx-1 parked at senior citizen complexes all throughout the snow belt anyway.

Can any rx-1 potential owner tell me why its ok to have a heavy sled again though?
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Postby ArcticEd » January 18th, 2002, 12:23 am

Not to mention the fact that 4 stroke tuning is hardly a black art.......not to mysterious at all, really. It's not powered by nuclear fusion or anything.
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Postby CatmanZR800 » January 18th, 2002, 12:23 am

From reviewing the pictures of the RX-1, which side of the tunnel has the kick-start anyway?

Will a "sissy bar" be an accessory choice too?

WARNING! Cats are meat eaters!
CatmanZR800

Postby Luv2sled » January 18th, 2002, 12:26 am

Skunk,

Supply,demand,competition and economics in general will ensure that four strokes and aftermarket mods are affordable in the future....especialy after Doo, CAT and POL step up to the plate.

As for the weight, I'd say we are looking at the big dog in the RX-1, you'll probably see smaller four strokes in the future. When I first heard about this sled I was figuring around 650lbs, if it comes in under 600 lbs it will be an engineering success. Hell, my 93 T-CAT weighed close to 700 lbs and I absolutely love riding that beast.
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

Postby Luv2sled » January 18th, 2002, 12:28 am

Catman.....that's a hell of an idea. So much for the dead battery problem.
Luv2sled

Postby ArcticEd » January 18th, 2002, 12:33 am

I wonder if they're gonna offer those silly leather covers with the fringes for the levers in the new Yamaha Accessory catalog,too.....
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Postby straycat » January 18th, 2002, 12:36 am

Well how bought this,

I have been a four stroke guy all my life. I used to mess around with the gassers on the drag strip in union grove when I was a kid. I then grew up and started working on semi-trucks. I certified with CAT, Cummins, And Detroit. I now work for the nations number one distributer for marine deisels. I also work hand and hand with a Japanise deisel engine manu. testing and making performance reports for them. I Then make suggestions on how to make them perform better.
So with this being said, I love the idea of the 4 stroke.

The reson I became a technition and not a lawyer or a fire fighter, ect. Is that You always learn something new! You are never done learning. Just when you master one thing somebody introduces something new. Then you get to learn that. If your budys are disapointed by having to learn something different or new, Then what does that have to say about there skills. They should be excited that the technoligy is advancing. Not disapointed that they have to learn something new.

Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Postby SlapNuts » January 18th, 2002, 1:01 am

I couldn't agree any more than I do with straycat. Learning how to maintain and advance 4stroke performance should be a good thing for any professional (real) mechanic.

Even the weekend warrior race tuners should see this as an opportunity, not a problem.

The problem will be for the folks at Skunks retirement home, and home do-it-yourselfers, who are the same people that do not understand ANYTHING about their cars, but these folks hardly ever touch a wrench anyway. So what I am saying is, 4strokes in sleds can only put higher demand on mechanics and tuners, which equates to more business and more $$$$$.
SlapNuts

Postby NorthernSkunk » January 18th, 2002, 3:45 am

or it can equate to less sledders.
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Next

Return to Trash Talkers