Subscribe Today

Yammy people RX-1 Woes...........

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby SlapNuts » January 18th, 2002, 4:05 am

4Strokes didn't seem to slow down, or at least I have never read it drove motorcyclists, ATV riders, dirt bike riders & PWC riders from the market. All that I have read is how 2 stroke sleds are contributing to National Parks and local trails being closed to sleds due to noise and emissions.
That definetly equates to fewer sledders, and fewer places to ride.
We have to face the fact that it is coming. There are already lakes, counties, etc (Calif)... that have 2 stroke bans on outboard motors, no grandfather clause, just plain banned - period. Laws have been passed to go into effect in 2006 & 2010 to first limit and then ban 2 stroke production in rec vehicles. Those of you that say Yamahaha is destroying our sport by pushing 4 stroke technology to the next level are living in dreamland, and you need to start becoming more informed as to what the realities are that our sport is facing.
SlapNuts

Postby straycat » January 18th, 2002, 4:08 am

I don't think it will equal less sleders. Did the four stroke equal less motorcycle riders? NO! If any thing, It will probably get more people into it.
I know cost is an issue right now but in a few more years the cost will go down. It is the simple law of supply and demand. Any time supply goes up, cost goes down. The RX-1 is the first of its kind. Which means there is nothing to compete against it. When The other OEMs start to produce a similar product, it will drive the cost down.
All you guys may say that this will never happen but it will. Remember when everybody said the world was flat? Next, circum navigation. Remember when we said man couldn't fly? Later, We made a man walk on the moon.
It takes time. give it a chance to evolve before you condemn the whole idea.
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Postby Luv2sled » January 18th, 2002, 5:13 am

AMEN!!!!!
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

Postby ArcticEd » January 18th, 2002, 5:21 am

I have no doubt that this is the tip of the iceburg as far as the future of four-stroke sleds are concerned, and Yamaha pulled out all of the stops to make this sled killer. No doubt it is the fastest sled of it's kind.....But the fastest period???? Maybe, but I'm not gonna accept that without proof. The Yammie guys running around with their dingus in one hand and their checkbook in the other are killing me, though.........I remember another time in recent history when hype ran rampant like this.....about 12 months ago. The Viper turned out to be a pretty decent sled, as I thought it would be, I mean Yamaha doesn't do thing half a$$ed, but it's not all that the Yamaguys made it out to be. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm amazed that some of these guys have no more knowledge of the real performance parameters of this sled, and are killing themselves trying to draw comparisons between it and existing sleds, to what end??? Some will buy it and love it for what it is, some will not buy it because it doesn't fit thier own ideas of what they need in a sled. I've already said that i think it's kinda cool, and I applaud Yamaha's use of technology in bringing this beast to production, but why are some of you so bent on justifying it's existence, and fabricating specifications to endear it to people that are interested in what it represents, but will NEVER buy one????? RX hype......Deja Vu if you ask me.......
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Postby SlapNuts » January 18th, 2002, 6:26 am

I agree with you Ed in regards to the hype of the RX1, right now its just a bunch yappin with no facts. The main issue of this post though is in regards to 4stroke sleds in general, and if they are good or bad for the industry, at least that is what myself & straycat are referring to. The only conclusion that I have made in regards to the RX1 is it has raised the bar in regards to getting us where we need to go, and that is developing new technology to to enable and maintain the future of sledding, whatever that may be. I'll wait until the sled hits the snow before I make any judgement on it's merits as a snowmobile, and then I'll also be able to answer Skunks question, "will I buy one?". Right now there is a black ZR800 efi cc le at the dealer with a price that's making my head turn.
SlapNuts

Postby ArcticEd » January 18th, 2002, 10:01 am

I won't argue the importance of this sled, and the bright spot it represents to those who , until now, have percieved 4 strokers as a dim future for the sport. I'm sure that as development continues, better and better alternatives to the current problems facing us on the enviromental front, reguardless of whether they're of the cam and valve persuasion or some exotic new 2 stroke fuel injection technique. It's coming, like it or not. I posted a few days ago that at the end of my MX days, i was racing a modified Yamaha TT600 in the vet class, and loving it, and I also raced a big bored and stroked 14.5 / 1 Kawasaki Mojave for a while. I LIKE 4 strokers for what they are, But I'm not sure that I'm ready to embrace their use in the sled that I chose to ride. Maybe the RX will change my mind about that, but I'm sure not prepared to shell out 9 grand to find out. I think it's a great looking sled, and I'm impressed at what Yamaha has accomplished, but the RX is not the sled for me, not just yet.
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Postby mtntank » January 18th, 2002, 11:02 am

Well i hate to say it but i like the yammy.RX1 is the only one id think of buying.Haveing raced mx for ages i have a husaberg 501 in the garage,also a cr500.the berg is a 4 stroke,heavy also but more fun to ride than the cr.That is until you kill the motor and have to start it again.As far as tuneing not much diff.Rebuild cost twice as much as the two stroke.The fun factor will be way up there with the rx1.Will not be for the average guy though as far as maintanance goes.I give yamaha credit for building this sled.I would like to have one if it was just alittle bit lighter.I dont know what they sell for have to take a look.This should not scare the mod guys it has so many mod potentials.The mod shops should go crazy with the rx1.Anyhow i like it.Might just have to get one.lol Do they come in GREEN?
mtntank

Postby ChrisXCR » January 18th, 2002, 11:36 am

Wow you guys are having a nice little exchange here, both sides are making excellent points. My take is, I like the idea of 145+ hp sled that will go 200 miles on a tank of gas. I like not having to worry about injection oil (will I have enough for a ride or can I get some at a gas station). Also, listen to it on Yamamha.com, it sounds awesome. The look is growing on me. However, it is heavy for most of my riding. The 425lbs sno-pro or 435lbs proX are the weights I want to have under me when I am riding 95% of the time. Plus I want a comp sled. The sled interests me, and I want to ride one but maybe in a few years when I stop looking at any bump on the trail as a potential launch pad, and want to ride miles all the time rather than bumps, it'll be a serious option. If they were to shave 100+lbs and toss on a full set of Fox Zero X shocks (or something like those) and change that skid to something more beefy then they'd have me..... I want a YZF426 for the snow right now, not an R-1 for the snow.

BTW, whoever said that this sled is pricey but that will come down? Are you nuts? The '04 RX-1 will be more money than the '03. As it is with all sleds. When was the last time a hypo sled got a price cut? Maybe an RX-6 will be less money but you'll never see the retail price of this sled lower than it is now.
:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Postby p-ryde42 » January 18th, 2002, 2:14 pm

the RX-1 is not heavier then any of the 800 people are riding. in most cases it is the same weight or lighter
p-ryde42

Postby Uker2 » January 19th, 2002, 12:24 am

Chris, you hit the nail on the head about pricing. It ain't gonna get any cheaper. Maybe with an entry level sled, the manufacturers might try to lure new people with a modestly priced sled. But they'll ask big bucks for the sleds that interest people on this board.
Uker2
01'SRX
Uker2

PreviousNext

Return to Trash Talkers