Subscribe Today

hmm... ZR or ZL

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby juniorXC700 » January 22nd, 2002, 2:14 pm

Yeah, the hoods on the ZR were switched in '00 but the ZL had the old style hoods yet in '00. Also the '99 has very good Fox shocks that u can rebuild real cheap and the ZL's Ryde FX shocks can be very expensive to buy. I'd go with the ZR because of tose factors
juniorXC700

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby ArcticEd » January 22nd, 2002, 5:37 pm

Yep

[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Campy4 » January 23rd, 2002, 8:09 am

I called on the ZR about 10 minutes ago, and, of COURSE, it's ALREADY BEEN SOLD!!!

Oh well, the ZL will be just as fast... called and left a message at the owner's house. Just gotta wait for a reply...
Campy4

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby ZR500PA » January 23rd, 2002, 8:25 am

I Would wait, the fact that this winter stinks. And people will be unloading really, good machines before long, gives you a better chance of finding better equipment. DON'T BE IN A HURRY TOO BYE JUNK TO RIDE ON JUNK SNOW!!!!!
ZR500PA

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Catrocks » January 23rd, 2002, 9:27 am

I agree with ZRPA there is gonna be alot of sleds gettin dumped cheap soon. To bad that you are like 20 some hours from here cause I know of some guys around here that have some really good iron they want to unload and at reasonable costs. Keep your eyes on the papers and invest in the ZR chassis, it will work better for ya.
CR

Sled on, b-safe, and most of all; CATSROCK! yeah baby!!

Oh yeah support your local club.!.!
Catrocks

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Homer J » January 23rd, 2002, 9:48 am

I owned the 99 500 ZL and it worked very well.Lots of balls and the ride was great.I only had it that year and buy new every year so I dont know about the Shocks having to be replaced that often but if you listen to the other guys here I dont think they would steer you wrong.I found the shock and spring setup on the ZL stiffer than the ZR's that I have owned every year since.Maybe that was just because of going from a 91 wildcat to the ZL was such a big jump in technology.Like everyone says though this winter SUCKS so take your time and I'm sure you will even find better deals if you look around.Good Luck with whatever you buy.Later Eh!!!
Longtime Cat Rider.You know your old when 2-up's make you tinkle!!
Homer J

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby SNOBALLZ » January 23rd, 2002, 9:50 am

.....if you can stand the BUTT FUGLY color, go for the ZR because of the better shocks, springs, and skid.
.....wicked beat ZL?.....hmmmmmm, kinda sounds farmiliar!
LMAO!
SNOBALLZ

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Campy4 » January 23rd, 2002, 12:43 pm

YOU guys may be having crappy winters, but there's plenty of snow here. I highly doubt that people are going to be unloading sleds here in Maine like they are elsewhere in the country. There are some other factors, too. I've been trying to convince my parents to do this for a long time, and to now just say, "Maybe we should wait a while,".. it just wouldn't be good.
Plus, I think some of you guys might have a different understanding of "beat". This kid isn't [i]overly[/i] harsh on his equipment (he's riding a Polaris now, and it's still in one piece, so he CAN'T be!), he's just kinda rough sometimes. And a LARGE percentage of his miles were put on during trips up to The County, which is equatable to a good number of highway miles on a typical car.
So, while I say it's been beat, I'm not really that worried about it not holding up to [i]my[/i] beating.

And while I would rather have a ZR, I'm too impatient to wait for it. I've dealt with underpowered, undersuspended fan-cooled sleds long enough, and moving up to a ZL will be about like going from a Yugo to a Cadillac.

To be blunt, I'm gonna get the ZL, because it's better than what I have now!
Campy4

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Catrocks » January 23rd, 2002, 12:52 pm

hey go for it dude and keep th track down I am pi$$ed that you can ride and I can't. Cat on my man!!!!!!!!!
CR

Sled on, b-safe, and most of all; CATSROCK! yeah baby!!

Oh yeah support your local club.!.!
Catrocks

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Campy4 » January 25th, 2002, 10:13 am

You guys are probably getting sick of giving me advice on used sleds... but...

The owner of the ZL plans to keep it, so that's out.

However, there's a 2000 ZR500 that I'm now looking at. Has 2500 miles on it, was the owner's girlfriend's sled, so it hasn't been abused too badly. He's asking 4 for it, but I'm pretty sure we can talk him down on that... but anyway, that's not the point...

What should I look for on this sled for possible problems? You said to check out the primary on the '99s, but I'm assuming they fixed that problem for '00. The track has never been studded, so I don't really need to worry about that... is there anything else?

Thanks again guys (and gals, if you happen to respond).
Campy4

PreviousNext

Return to Trash Talkers