Subscribe Today

hmm... ZR or ZL

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Campy4 » January 22nd, 2002, 7:16 am

I'm presented with a choice.
I've FINALLY convinced my parents to sell two of our sleds to buy one nicer one, and so far I'm looking at a '99 ZL500 with 3200 miles (about 1000 miles on the new engine), which has been beat pretty hard, or a '99 ZR500 with 1900 miles from a dealer. The ZR is 500$ more, and I'm thinking it would be worth it.

Do any of you Cat-riders have any input as to which sled I should get? Is there really that much of a performance drop from the ZR to the ZL in that model year? Any and all positive opinions are welcome.
Campy4

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby PowDar » January 22nd, 2002, 7:25 am

Well, I don't really know about the cats that well, but I'd rather take ZR by the sound of it. $500 is what you'll pay fixing up a beat up sled. Dealer has to keep up a decent reputation so he can't be selling complete junk. (I think there is a cat joke in there somewhere) :)

Go for the ZR.
----------------------------
I can't think of a good signature so this will have to do for now.
PowDar

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby ArcticEd » January 22nd, 2002, 7:25 am

There is NO difference in performance, Campy.......The ZR has a stiffer suspension set-up, and slightly different a-arms. You'de be in good shape with either of these sleds. For the difference in money, I'd go for the ZR (Less miles, better condition, probably gone over a bit in the service department at the dealership)
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Catrocks » January 22nd, 2002, 7:40 am

Don't even think about it get the ZR. In the long run that will be better as you can rebuild your shocks for $35-50 compared to buying ryde fx at $140. If you are average to aggresive rider you will need to keep them shocks in good shape.
CR

Sled on, b-safe, and most of all; CATSROCK! yeah baby!!

Oh yeah support your local club.!.!
Catrocks

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Campy4 » January 22nd, 2002, 8:58 am

Alright, great. Thanks guys. I was kind of leaning towards the ZR, and my mind is made up, now. All I have to do is make up the minds of the people with the money (they're technically not my sleds to sell, to pay for the new one).

Oh, and Ed, what IS the difference in the A-arms? I know that the ZL has more travel (by 7 tenths of an inch, woo-hoo), but is the ZR's set up more aggressive? Slightly different geometry?
Campy4

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby PolarisIndy » January 22nd, 2002, 9:09 am

I agree with everybody else.... Get the ZR... I generally go by gut feeling on used sleds. Fresh rebuilt motor with only 3200 miles and you say beat up quite a bit... Gives me a bad feeling, walk away before it cost you $$$$$. Looks can sometimes be misleading on used sleds, but if a sled generally looks well taken care of, generally it was....
PolarisIndy

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby ArcticEd » January 22nd, 2002, 9:21 am

ZR arms are made of 2 pieces of tubing, welded together at the pivot point on the spindle, while ZL arms are one piece, bent in a "U", In theory they look like they may be a covcession to ease of manufacturing......I don't think that there are any geometry differences, but if there are, they're pretty minute......I think the ZR arms might be a bit stronger, but I don't see anyone having a real problem with fragility in either case. The travel increse in the ZL comes from longer Ryde shocks. The 99 ZR has Fow units, and figure the cost of eventually rebuilding them into youe equasion..But like Catrocks said, you can rebuild 'em alot cheaper than you can replace the Ryde FX shocks on the ZL.
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Mainecat » January 22nd, 2002, 9:50 am

ZR no question. The ZL has RideFX shocks that blow at 1000 miles if you ride hard. plus the ZR is green! lol
things to look for:
Check the air intake boot for cracks. They all cracked including the ZL. Its a 50.00 part but dealer should pay.
Check the primary clutch real good for cracks the 99's were grenades. Cat will warranty it but be persistent because its a safety issue.
Good Luck Campy the ZR is the better sled make a offer thats less than he wants OR tell him to rebuild the shocks for you.
Mainecat

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Campy4 » January 22nd, 2002, 10:38 am

Alright, thanks MC.
Also, the '99s had the older style hoods, right? The ones with the symmetrical vents, instead of the three on one side, two on the other, like the '01s and '02s have, right? I can't for the life of me remember when they switched to the new hoods...
Campy4

hmm... ZR or ZL

Postby Mainecat » January 22nd, 2002, 12:45 pm

New hoods were in 00 I think???
Mainecat

Next

Return to Trash Talkers