Subscribe Today

I'm back & have some news

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby CatmanZR800 » February 5th, 2002, 7:08 am

Hi everyone!

Got back last night from spending time riding in our annual ride for MS (multiple sclerosis). Had a fun four days in the Arrowhead region of Minnesota.

Other than the trails turning to sh!t with the amount of traffic, it was actually better than I thought it would be...for riding that is.

We had to trailer our sleds to Isabella, MN from our lodge which was in Two Harbors, MN. No snow on the North Shore area of Lake Superior.

Anyway, the scoop on my ZR800EFI CC...we found a flat pond area on our trail that produced a 1000ft (305m) stretch for a little drag race. I first raced my buddy's '01 700 RMK. He got me on the jump with that big 2" paddle track, then I caught up with him and only stayed there. He does have a booster-bottle in it, but big deal, I have 100 more CC's. I thought, "Hmm, there's something wrong here." Then I raced my buddy's wife who has a '00 800 RMK with a 136" track. She again took me out of the hole and I couldn't catch her. She beat me by at least 2 1/2 sled lengths! They all were of course laughing at my so called quick 800cc Cat.

I knew with both races that something was wrong. I just didn't have that "arm snapping" mid-range that I had a week earlier on another lake.

I brought my sled home to the Dealer last night and told them this story. I had asked him what's the deal on my sled that had only 320 miles (515km) on it, and it turns into a pooch! He had asked what kind of oil I have been using. "DING!" Light bulb goes on. The previous weekend I had forgot my Arctic Cat APV oil and used my buddy's regular Cat oil. I had used at least two tanks of gas with it until I finally started dumping Arctic APV oil into it. My track was also real loose, at the point where it could have jump out of place at anytime.

Questions: Could this oil destroy my midrange performance that bad, with gummed up valves? Could my real loose track be a factor too, in my ass getting kicked by RMK's?! What else could hold this sled back?

I know I'll hear it all from the non-Cat people, that's why I put this in the Trash Section.

Also, I wanted to give you guys an honest story on me getting my ass handed to me by a couple of mountain sleds. Pretty fricken embarrassing!!

I think I'll go hide behind my wife's 500XC SP now.
WARNING! Cats are meat eaters!
CatmanZR800

Postby MXZinger » February 5th, 2002, 7:23 am

You should be a writer. That was a good story. I could not see where oil would make a big diffrence in mid range speed. HUhhh bad gas may play alittle in this though.
Trash Talkers: Home of the "Count the dead Arctic Cats contest"
MXZinger

Postby Luv2sled » February 5th, 2002, 7:30 am

I doubt your valves got gummed up that quickly, you might check them though and unless your track was ratcheting, shouldn't slow you down......are you sure those RMK's were stock? Were you running on a full tank of gas?
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

Postby XC-Rider » February 5th, 2002, 8:21 am

Thanks for the honesty. Atleast they weren't two-up sleds! ;)
XC-Rider

Postby Mainecat » February 5th, 2002, 8:25 am

Catman its your oil. The valves are stuck I guarantee it. Cat oil weather the "NEW" oil or the old oil sucks. Use Klotz. Loose track will not effect it much.
Mainecat

Postby ZR500PA » February 5th, 2002, 8:31 am

From the 800 hundreds that I have rode with, They all seem too be destroyers of good trails. No bite for the horsepower, just rip and tear up the trails and leave big trenches in the road.
ZR500PA

Postby PowDar » February 5th, 2002, 9:12 am

Actually, as long as it isn't ratcheting, loose track should help your speed, I believe. You ought to get beat off the line by the geared down, high traction RMK's but that's pretty sad losing on the top end! I've seen the effect of messed up valves (guy thought he was so smart adjusting his 670's valves...), and if they aren't opening properly, you lose a fair chunk of power.

Weren't Cat valves supposed to be self-cleaning anyway? Frickin cat ads... loads of BS... lol
----------------------------
I can't think of a good signature so this will have to do for now.
PowDar

Postby Snotcicles » February 5th, 2002, 9:21 am

Maincat, you mean the synthetic apv cat has out this year and that I have in my ZR-5 right now is no good? I haven't had probs with it but if klotz is better maybe I will try it. How about amsoil?
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

Postby 02 pro x 440 » February 5th, 2002, 10:24 am

hey dont change what oil your running just change the sled and you'll be fine
02 pro x 440

Postby Xtreme XC » February 5th, 2002, 1:54 pm

CatmanZR800, Maincat is right, pull your valves out and clean them. They probably arn't opening all the way. The oil along will not do any harm to performance, and the loose track will only help with a drag race. The looser the better (to a point). If you clean the valves and it still don't beat the RMK's, then it's because it's a Cat! LOL
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/buddypaw/smallpic.jpg[/IMG]
Xtreme XC

Next

Return to Trash Talkers