Subscribe Today

Vintage Racers check this out!!!

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby MM700 » December 12th, 2002, 4:58 pm

I wanted to put this here to let fans and drivers know, that the radio station I work for is doing an all out promotional blitz on this, we will be broadcasting live reports from the track, and handling the PA play by play of the races, we are expecting a big crowd this year...gonna be a good show...can't wait ;)...read on (from www.derbytrack.com)

Saturday & Sunday January 11th & 12th, 2003 Two big changes are already in the books; new this year will be a full weekend of racing on the weekend before Derby. It will combine our very popular all amateur races for both first time sno-cross and oval drivers plus a full weekend of Vintage racing. Over the past six years the fans have come to appreciate the "Old Time Sleds" & "the way it used to be" feeling. This year with the expansion to a full weekend dedicated to the vintage racers we are also expanding participation to include the`74 and newer era sleds. You know the Twisters, RV's, EXT's, Blizzards, TXL's, GPX's, and Thunder Jets, well you get the picture. These were definitely the Hay Days of racing and this iron is just waiting to tear up some Derby ice again. Plus we will be crowning a"Vintage World Champ"this year for the first time.

BTW..the track is coming together real good..other than the couple of warm days we had this week...they have been making great ice....if it gets cold again..this could be one of the better tracks in recent history ;)

*This Message was edited on 12-Dec-02 10:03 PM by MM700*
MM700

Postby Jekyll » December 12th, 2002, 11:51 pm

MM700,

Glad to hear about your participation with this years Vinatge action. I have had the pleasure of racing with Pro Vintage for 3 of the last 4 years and let me assure you and your fans they will NOT be disapointed with the show. Anybody who thinks these guys are gonna go out there and "put" around the track is gonna be blown away by not only the speed but close racing action.

Myself, I'm gonna miss the show this year because of a schedule conflict now that the Derby has moved the vintage date up a week, but I think long-term the move is a very positive thing for vintage racing!

Once again, glad you station is involved and I'm sure the promotion you guys do will be top notch.

Jekyll
Jekyll

Postby mx6 » December 13th, 2002, 12:43 am

Why have the cut-off at the 74 model year? Bring it down lower to 72 or so, maybe even lower. Thanks.
Stewart Selid
mx6

Postby Jekyll » December 13th, 2002, 12:57 am

mx6,

There are acutally diffrent year cut off's. With Pro Vintage Racing group, sleds 1971 and older run relic class but may bump up to vintage. All other Pro Vintage Racing sleds must be 1973 (factory race sleds ie: Starfires from Polaris NOT TX consumer based sleds) or older. The SLEDS group offers classes for sleds produced prior to 1986. Here in Michigan at Cherry Speedway near Traverse City vintage sleds must be pre 1981 sleds but may NOT have IFS.

Each group does things just a little diffrent, but the spirit of keeping 'em racing is the same.

Jekyll
Jekyll

Postby MM700 » December 13th, 2002, 4:33 am

This is gonna be great to see all those old sleds out there...I can't wait.....and good luck to all you vintage racers......and hopefully you can show the young guys just how fast those "old" sleds from the haydays of racing really go....Can't wait to see that action...;)
MM700

Postby snodrifter » December 13th, 2002, 10:53 am

Hey MM 700
I'm sure glad to see more and more involvement in vintage racing. Last time I was at Eagle River, I got there to late for the good Vintage stuff. I was there 3 years ago-had some vintage sleds on display (got 2 free passes for bringing them). If you were there around that time, I had a couple of 79 Blizzards on display. You may have seen them. I don't race mine, but do trail ride them all the time. I'm not sure if I can make it this year or not, but would love to come for the Vintage week-end. I'll just have to see how things work out. Best of luck with this format. Sound like a BLAST!!!!
snodrifter

Return to General Racing Board