Subscribe Today

problems with 99 sno pro 440zr?

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby willpower » February 13th, 2003, 12:30 am

bought it in a basketcase.got it together & rode it a few times.problem is, it eats plugs.runs ok for awhile then starts breaking up.eventually have to replace plugs to get it to quit.the plugs look like thier running lean, but pistons are clean with small amount of black in center which indicates rich.had 240 mains in, but i put in 300's since thats what the book recomends.checked pilots & needles & they are correct. haven't quite figured out the timing switches yet, but started on 2 degrees retarded to be safe,then put on 0 setting, but didn't help solve the problem.i have the power valves locked in the open (up) position to prevent the problems that ruined the engine in the 1st place.using BR10EYA plugs. any ideas or sugestions?
willpower

Postby cementhead » February 13th, 2003, 12:59 am

I think some of your problem may be from having the valves open, the engine is not running properly untill you hit wot, with the valves in the open position.
Are you sure the br10eya is the right plug?
Just my two thoughts.

Cementhead
Shut up and Race!!!
cementhead

Postby willpower » February 13th, 2003, 4:48 am

yea, thats what the book recomends for plugs or 9's for a short race.i'm thinking about the valves to, but weather its hot or cold, new plugs cure the problem. a local cat mechanic told me to plug the valves off because their a real pain.he's done it before on the round style, but mine are a crazy shape, so i can't make a plug easily, so i just machined a small aluminum block to hold em wide open.the spark seems weak to me but never had a sled with this newer ignition system, so maby its normall.so many ????'s on a sled i know little about!thanks for the info ch
willpower

Postby x-xcountry racer » February 13th, 2003, 1:13 pm

I might have some ideas for you. These are some notes when I raced in '99. check:pistons on exhuast side(make sure not rounded off). Compression on both cylinders are equal. Ground wire needs a good contact, it will sputter if not. Richen mains to 290,6fm1-60 (3rd or 4th step)and plug the little hole in the slides. Clean the carbon off exhaust valves and use them. They opened them up to prevent breakage and falling into the cylinders. This motor needs the valves. At the 500 cat had updated exhaust valves that held up very good. Our oil pumps were very rich too which creates plug fouling. Br10eya plugs are ok if alot of high speeds. -2 degrees with 1 exhaust shim. Run engine at 8600 rpm and grind the tips of weights to build the rpm to 8800. Maybe this can help alittle bit.
x-xcountry racer

Postby x-xcountry racer » February 13th, 2003, 1:22 pm

Two other things: the hot cold switch for the timing is not wired correctly. Check your float level, it will bog over big bumps.
x-xcountry racer

Postby willpower » February 18th, 2003, 2:34 am

thanks a mil x-x, now i got something to go on. picking up a performance manual today so that should help to. btw what little hole r u refering to? i have the updated power valves but it all came in pieces, so don't know how it goes together. how about the "clutch pucks" with offset hole? mine r real tight in housing, so valves wouldn't be free to work anyway.cat dealers r no help cause they only got picture of old ones. wp
willpower

Postby x-xcountry racer » February 21st, 2003, 8:00 am

The little hole I was referring to is on your carb slides (throttle valve). Call up to the Arctic race department and talk to Mike Kloety if he still works there. Ask him about your exhaust valves.
x-xcountry racer

Postby duc-racr » February 22nd, 2003, 6:26 am

Yes Mike still works there. I would also suggest that you let the valves work also, unless you are racing and are at WOT. Clean valves alot, carbon hurts them. Call AC and get all info that you can, that is the best way.
duc-racr

Return to General Racing Board