Subscribe Today

500cc MAX rule for 2005 Enduro Racing

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby krunch@freeway.net » February 24th, 2004, 2:24 am

Leave the engines alone. I believe there are other areas of the sled that could be addressed as far as safety. As Leelanau stated, we need to look at the people as well as the machines. Penalties and fines need to be implemented. Rough driving and poor driving need to be scrutinized. Cheaters need to be fined and penalized. Mira's format should be reviewed also. Maxi-racer had some suggestions as to an outlaw type format. Maybe something like that should be looked at for their Saturday show. It appears that some of the sprint classes are declining in numbers. Personally, I would like to see less classes and longer races in the stock divisions.
krunch@freeway.net

Postby Sanity30 » February 24th, 2004, 3:15 am

I can't agree more with you Fred. I have requested for the last few years to try to focus more on the enduros. Especially the main feature to be run on Saturday. I feel this would take alot of load from the MIRA track crew by running longer races but less of them.
As far as the 500cc topic I don't understand why this is even being brought to the table.
Mike
Sanity30

Postby Barnaby23/43 » February 24th, 2004, 4:25 am

I agree with both of you Fred and Mike, let's get back to 50 and 100 lap stock races on Saturday. This gives the drivers the laps they need to learn how to ride safe on Sunday. The mental approach to a sprint race and enduro racing is different and longer races on Saturday would help drivers have the right mind set for Sunday. I don't think we should mess with the motor rule. The RX1 is a problem just simply because of the weight difference, if they bump a much lighter sled like our twin, we just don't stand a chance. I don't know the answer to this as the 4 strokers seem to be the future of the sport. I wouldn't want my 600 pound sled and driver going into a corner on the last lap with Todd's RX1 at over 800 pounds. I think my
guy would end up in a snow bank! Good luck at the rock guys, maybe we'll see ya at Brimley.
Barnaby23/43

Postby kmsrentals » February 24th, 2004, 4:39 am

I think a weight MAXIMUM would be better. Say around 450 lbs and keep the 600's
kmsrentals

Postby leelanaumotorsports » February 24th, 2004, 5:33 am

These are all very good ideas and thoughts. lets keep em' coming...
[b]Ride Hard, Ride Safe.[b]
leelanaumotorsports

Postby maxiracer » February 24th, 2004, 6:37 am

Great ideas, all of them.
I try not to venture too many ideas, simply because I'm not in the financial situation to even put together a shoestring effort, kinda like putting your money where your mouth is so to speak, which I can't do at this time.
But I can give some ideas,
If the plan is to keep the 600 mods, then bring back the old amatuer F3 class for non-pro drivers or drivers not racing the enduros.
30 laps, on the same sleds the enduros use.Give younger drivers a place to cut there teeth on the mod sleds without having to try to race with the more experianced drivers.
My ideas on a World of Outlaws type format would fit that bill very well, and make for some exciting racing for the spectators also.
At the Soo, I just don't know what would work. Buffer zones, 500cc sleds, a mandatory travel limit, getting rid of the short skis, all great ideas, but failures of equipment are going to happen, drivers will make a error in judgment. I don't think a whole lot more can be done to make the racing more safe, sled wise anyway. Spectator safety is paramount, and I'm sure some kind of better barrier will be in place next year, or at least keep the crews back further from the track surface.
Maybe a 6 gallon maximum fuel tank size with a mandatory driver change at each refueling would keep exhuastion from being a factor.
That would be maybe 50-60 laps maximum per drivers time in the saddle. Also would cut weight from up high on the sled, which in turn would help handling. I just don't know, I do know it sucks not being able to race with you guys.
[b]Bevra Vintage Ice Oval Racing. Old School rules...[/b]
maxiracer

Postby proton » February 24th, 2004, 8:59 am

If we are trying solve enduro problems don't compromise the sprint program to fix enduro. MIRA is not all enduro racers.
proton

Postby krunch@freeway.net » February 25th, 2004, 3:39 am

I am not saying eliminate the sprint program. But I believe there are too many classes and some classes need to be consolidated or eliminated, i.e 500 Pro Stock 2 entries at Albright. Do you really need to run a heat and a final for 2 sleds or for that matter 5 sleds. The longer stock races seem to be more popular averaging around 15 sleds entered. We can still have sprints, but I believe some longer stock races would help prepare drivers and teams to step up to Pro-Enduro.
krunch@freeway.net

Postby maxiracer » February 25th, 2004, 4:17 am

I still say, use a Outlaws format....
A B and C mains, Time in just like enduro qualifying, 10 fastest are in the A main, next slower group in the B and the slowest race in the C main. Top 5 or so move up from the C to the B main, right up to the A main. Numbers of sleds advancing would be determined by number of total entries.
Make the A main a 100 lapper with a mandatory pit stop.
Drivers would still get lots of laps, the racing between drivers in each main would be closer because of how they qualified. It would make for a good racing, and might save a few dollars as the races would be shorter, hopefully keeping some costs down.
This could be done in any style of sleds, Champ 440, 600 Mod, Stock classes, whatever.
The plus side is every driver would be racing the same format, the driver would have already run the format, only the performance of the sleds would change. I think it's better(and maybe safer) than throwing a driver used to running 30 laps into a situation where he has to hold on for 75 or 80 laps.
Just my opinion, I know enduro racing is the topic, but maybe a change in format could bring MIRA and oval racing back to the spotlight.
The Soo would still be the Soo, 500 miles in one day, the true test of driver and machine.
[b]Bevra Vintage Ice Oval Racing. Old School rules...[/b]
maxiracer

Postby Pol-Cat » February 25th, 2004, 9:41 am

The Soo is great, but the true test of man and machine was held at eagle river some 7 or 8 years ago (not positive how long ago), 24 hour endurance ride in snow, water, mud, and ice. Would like to see a 24 hour race at the soo track in the spring some year. If memory serves me right , I think they had about 50 stock 440's start the race at eagle. Would probably get alot of entrys at the Soo and make some extra money for the track to update and repair some things.
My vision is better then my hearing...shut up and show me something.
Pol-Cat

PreviousNext

Return to General Racing Board