Subscribe Today

Larry Day "Racer of the Year"

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby Flatout » March 9th, 2004, 9:06 am

Hey Cory,,You are right on when you say we are all "Ice Racers" and we are all on the same playing field. I enjoyed coming out and racing against you and a bunch of guys that run a different circuit to see if we are competitive. It is too bad that our associations couldnt get it together and run more races that make it possible to have more east vs west competition. We used to have a Can-AM race out here that pitted the best of the US drivers against the best Cdn drivers. It was quite the competition and was sort of like the AL vs the NL allstar series. I am very proud of our Eastern Pro-Tour series drivers and I also have the highest respect and admiration for the racers from the Mid west circuits. I still am very happy though to see that our competitors from SCM can compete and yes,,"beat" the best from the west at least this year anyway. Perhaps next year we will see you down in Valcourt and like your father was, you are welcome in our trailer any time.
As for racer of the year...Its been a long time since the East has had a driver that dominated like Larry. John may be the brains behind the team,, but Im sure that there are only a select few riders that can wring out 100% that the machine is capable of. Larry has the ability to wring out 110%.
Flatout

Postby 27NE » March 9th, 2004, 9:23 am

Patrick that is a good point. Many drivers have seen their glory days driving for john. (sorry for the mis-spelling earlier)And all of you guys are right! Many drivers can establish themselves as larry has this year on a sled that can perform and handle like his has. I agree that a lot of drivers could make it where he is today if they were driving a sled like his. John knows his stuff, but... still.. even though larry is running a sled where John is meticulous about power and handling, it is still not an easy job to go out and win races like larry did. There are so many teams out there that have the exact same potential as the hooper race team. The Wahls, The Houles, The Villenuves. So yes a very lot of his success may depend on a sled that can go and handle.. but you have to have a good driver to make that happen! Before I was just taking out some frustration out on "The Truth" because of bashing a personal friend. Like Corey said.."[i] what a man does in his personal time is his own business. Don't knock a guy for having a good time." [/i] You guys also have to remember that this is "Racer Of The Year" not "Mechanic of the year". Even though mechanics deserve more recognition!

P.S. [b]Oly! My name infact is Justin Losee and I Live In Springfield, Vermont. Would you like my address and telephone number to prove that? LMOA![/b]
WHY ICE?...CUZ SNOW IS SLOW!
Justin (LUCY) Losee
27NE

Postby Spiders & Snakes » March 9th, 2004, 9:25 am

Larry Day, hands down, no question. Nobody else in snowmobiling has dominated like he has this year. Yes it takes a good sled, team and driver to win this award, its the total package and this year he's got it. As far as class he's got that too. The words he said after recieving his awards at the CPTC totally impressed me. Larry is a friendly guy and likes to have fun. Good Luck Larry they can't give this award to anybody else. Hope to see you in December at BJ.
Spiders & Snakes

Postby Pipman » March 9th, 2004, 11:02 am

I am not saying Larry should not get the award. I just put in my opinion, why I think that sled is so fast and dominating. Larry is a good driver, coupled with a team that has it together with chassis,HP,experienced team,sponsors etc.

Good luck to all nominations for the driver of the year.

Patrick
Pipman

Postby #14 Soo » March 9th, 2004, 11:05 am

The Pip's Choice Award must go to Bryan Dyrdahl then. Almost 2 seconds a lap faster than anyone lap 150-174 ending up second at the Soo. First time he ever rode a Yamaha, and had no test time on it.At the Cross Country I-500 he put a minute and a half each day on Davidson the first two days to win his second I-500 on you guessed it a sled he never rode before or tested,a Ski-Doo Rev 600.Pip's Choice Winner or Racer of the year?
#14 Soo

Postby Pipman » March 9th, 2004, 11:18 am

Cool,

Then Bryan is my first nomination for Pip's Choice Award for racer of the year.

Anybody else?
Pipman

Postby diskvalve » March 9th, 2004, 11:27 am

I think Larry deserves the ROY as he won the WC and everything else he entered against the best in the world during a season where everybody was so fast. There should indeed be a mechanic of the year award for every race association , as the mechanics get less recognition than they deserve in this sport where you are always chasing the setup and it is the mechanic that must have the ability to make all the right calls in order to do well.-- mike
HTML
diskvalve

Postby Pol-Cat » March 9th, 2004, 11:40 am

Nobody could be racer of the year without a good team and sled. You can't seperate them. It may of been a good sled, but it didn't go out there and drive itself around the track. He was the person on it, and he is the person who will get credit for it, just like nascar or any other motorsport.
My vision is better then my hearing...shut up and show me something.
Pol-Cat

Postby cleko » March 9th, 2004, 11:58 am

You are correct in saying that Larry dominated the track this year, but I guess my vote would go for someone that over they years has been consistantly a great racers and shows their qualifications every time they are on & off the track. My vote would either have to be for JEFF LUDWIG or TERRY WAHL. Both are class act racers and have consistantly proven themselves over the years.
I also agree with the person that said that if it wasn't for the sled and setup that Larry wouldn't have had the year that he did.
cleko

Postby CoryEwingdeactivated » March 9th, 2004, 12:07 pm

Thanks Howard,
You know I was just giving you a hard time. I will be in Valcourt and probably another SCM race next year, unless for an unforseen circumstance. Talk to you soon.

-Cory

P.S. Devin Fackrell says thanks a million for the piston. He says he'll bring beer to Valcourt.
#6 HOGLUND RACING TEAM

[b]WWW.HOGLUNDLAW.COM[/b]
CoryEwingdeactivated

PreviousNext

Return to General Racing Board