Subscribe Today

Lava or anybody from out east that races on Eastern Pro Tour

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » March 22nd, 2004, 4:23 am

How was your banquet over the weekend? Did you decide on anything in rules that your tour would like to get changed for next year? Lets here about some of the ideas from out east. Did the big lumberjack Herman show up for meeting, missed seeing that fellow in Beausejour in March.
Spy-Guy 74

Postby Flatout » March 22nd, 2004, 5:08 am

Our banquet was a great party but the real good stuff was discussed at the drivers meeting. There was some interest in a 600 stock engine based champ 440 arrangement that would be designed to lower the cost for competetive engines. The general concensus was for a stock engine with a stock "Y" pipe with any aftermarket single pipe and a restriction on carburation to equal but not exceed the performance of existing 440 engines. A lot of discussion resulted in a show of hands and only 4 teams showed interest in pursuing this. Tracks were another hot topic and it seems that the kimpex 106" speedster does qualify under the existing rules and they are commercially available from Samson Racing. The kimpex part number for the track is 04-842KR. No trimming or cutting is allowed except by the molder of the track.
There was also talk of offering a "Sportsman" champ 440 class which allows new drivers a class to compete with others at a level that allows for good racing.
Discussion about schedules was another good topic to find a way to stop conflicting schedules. Valcourt is as big as Eagle River yet The MidWest associations still schedule races on this weekend. If this happens again the SCM will schedule our races to suit the East and forget about the Mid-West.
Vintage is growing out here in leaps and bounds and there is a set of rules on the table to get everyone on the same plane.
SCM, PRO and OSRF will be in Milwakee at the ISR meeting to vote on all the proposed changes and to try to bring unity to all the associations. What ever happens in Milwakee the Eastern Pro-Tour will abide by the decisions and our rules will be uniform.
Howard.....
Flatout

Postby ice_racer_69 » March 22nd, 2004, 5:48 am

I, for one, will try to make a point at this years WSA banquet to try to get rid of the conflicting schedule to. WSA has 1 or 2 off weekends any way, why not schedule one of them the weekend of Valcourt?

In response to the "sportsman" champ 440 class. Doesn't the EPT have a semi-pro champ class? That so, why not use that as the feeder class to pro champ? Say you win 3 semi-pro champ finals, and you are forced to move up to pro champ. That USED to be the way that WSA did, but (haha) hasn't for a few years now.

Oh, and one more thing. I know it'd be kinda spendy, but I think that we should have a DRIVERS meeting that would involve all 4 oval sanctioning body. Any driver, from any class, from any circuit. Dunno when or where, but I think A LOT of benefit would come from something like that.
ice_racer_69

Postby Flatout » March 22nd, 2004, 6:32 am

The trouble with Semi-Pro champ is that a lot of the guys running in this class have a lot of experience but not the budget to be deemed "Pro". New drivers get discouraged when they enter Sem-Pro because the competition is too great and they end up getting lapped. The result is that a lot of "would-be" racers dont even enter because they feel they dont have a chance at winning. Juniors coming up from sprint or first time racers would now have a class where they could realistically win a championship.
To qualify for sportsman, you would have to be either a graduating Junior or not have raced a champ style sled for more than two years. The Race Director would have the final say as to a driver elegibility. Any driver that dominates the Sportsman class would be moved up to Semi-Pro the following season. You could race in this class for a maximum of 3 seasons before automatically becoming Semi-Pro. Sportsman and Semi-Pro drivers would still be allowed to jump up to Semi and Pro.
No decision was made if this class will be run or if the existing "fast" Semi-Pro drivers will be sent to Pro. Carl Lessard, Howard Gifford(me) Aaron Fellows, Danny Lee, Mike Emerson, Mark Meyers, all are seasoned capable drivers that run Semi-Pro. To graduate all these drivers would kill the Semi-Pro class.
Flatout

Postby ice_racer_69 » March 22nd, 2004, 6:53 am

I don't think that you would be killing the semi-pro class by any means. That is the whole idea of the class is to be able to graduate to pro. I think You, as well as Carl Lessard proved in BJ, as well as Aaron Fellows (qualified top 10 @ E.R.) that you are capable of running pro. This would allow the new drivers at least a glimmer of hope of a podium in the semi-pro class.

Not trying to start an argument or anything like that...just constructive comments!!
ice_racer_69

Postby PDRacing » March 22nd, 2004, 7:32 am

With respect to the Semi-pro class. We are building a Champ Sled for the 2005 season. It will be alot of work and expense, however so long as there are sufficient sleds to race heats and finals it will all be worth while. To move too many of the semi-pro guys up to pro would possibly not leave enough sleds to have heats for us new guys (because I don't think there's alot). That was and is the discouraging part of the Vintage class for me right now is only having 1 race a day. Thanks to Howie's invite last season I had an opprotunity to run with the semi-pro's. Getting to run heats, and yes!! getting lapped once by Arron and Howie gave me the ambition to build a real champ sled. I like a challenge and I like to win, but win or lose the sports a lot of fun with these guys. Looking forward to 2005 season.

Keep the shiny side up!
Richard Scroggs
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Postby Driver29NE » March 22nd, 2004, 1:12 pm

Spy-Guy 74, Make sure you get the word out about how important it is for drivers and teams to attend their "RULES MEETINGS" and Banquets this spring!

Our banquet was a good time. The rules meeting was too short.

Unfortunately, the Pro-Champ 600 had a bit too much opposition. I think that people need to look to the future, and I think that the future of Champ racing relies on change for the better of the class. I'm not sure what else can be changed other than the engines and we definately don't need fully modified 600's in this class.

To the tracks, I think that issue could be resolved very quickly (As I stated in my other post) by going with a rule changed to the 116" tracks

As far as the talk about a Sportsman Champ class, I really don't think that there is a need for this class now, maybe in the future when we have 20 or 30 champs show up to race each weekend, we could seriously think about it.

One thing that was said is that when Marcel goes to the ISR meeting, he is going to stick with his weight rule that he enforced this season, which was 375lbs. I hope that it gets changed to 375lbs without adding weight. This is a rule that I feel should carry across the board in all of the Associations.

I hope people realize that the track rule and the weight rule are two simple rules that could save alot of needed cash for the average Champ team.

As I've said before, I realize that Champ is an expensive class, but we need to attract new teams to this class and the sport in general.

Take care,

Philip 29NE
Driver29NE

Postby CoryEwingdeactivated » March 22nd, 2004, 6:44 pm

I agree with Phillip on the track rules. I believe everyone should have to run similar tracks. Otherwise we get into a situation where it comes down to money being the differentiating factor between two drivers instead of driving and setup ability. Just my thoughts. I would like to see something happen at the ISR meetings to keep Champ racing as competitive for all drivers, even if I have to go speak my opinions there myself.

Parity equals increase in numbers. Take a look at Nascar, the NFL, and other sports, when there is parity, there is way more interest and its more fun to watch, when you don't know who is going to win. It makes for better driving, because there has to be.

-Cory #6
#6 HOGLUND RACING TEAM

[b]WWW.HOGLUNDLAW.COM[/b]
CoryEwingdeactivated

Postby PDRacing » March 24th, 2004, 6:52 am

Cory, with further referrance to parity, I follow F1. They have changed more rules around in the last 2 years to try and shake Schumacher's dominace of the sport to keep it interesting. Another F1 season has started and nothings changed, and does start to get boring.
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Return to General Racing Board