Subscribe Today

Does anyone buy a sled based on racing results?

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby racingatvsleds » October 21st, 2004, 6:28 am

From somone who has owned every brand but Yamaha. Only raced Ski-Doo and Cats, cuz of Sno Cross. However love to watch the icers race, just don't have the nutz, actually am seriously thinking about getting rid of my Cat and getting a 4 stroker Yammy. Then I can say I owned am all. Just wish a guy from my backyard, who raced the RX-1 in Merrill a few years ago would ever race it again. If Yamaha would get back into racing, sure would help. Agree or disagree
racingatvsleds

Postby MM700 » October 21st, 2004, 6:47 am

Well I believe in the old days racing did matter...but not anymore...people are buying four strokes, because of how clean and smooth they are....the average trail rider doesn't need a sled that does over 100, or a stiff sno cross suspension to run groomed trails..True some technology is developed on the track to later be used on consumer sleds....but more and more engineers are using computer programs to design sleds for the general public....we have to remember that the majority of us on this board are probably considered aggressive riders.....and of that..we are the minority..we are maybe 20 percent of the riders who own snowmobiles the rest are average Joe, Trail riders...and racing doesn't concern them in the least....they are gonna buy what they like no matter what the results are on the track....and four strokes are getting better and better each year....my next sled will be a four stroke...I like them too..buy what you like dude...it doesn't matter what it does on a track....sure it's great if your brand wins.....but who really cares as long as you are riding and having fun with your buds...it only sucks , when ya gotta tow a Cat back (again)....lol
MM700

Postby racingatvsleds » October 21st, 2004, 7:05 am

MM700. Never having a 4 stroke concerns me, but I know a guy that has the RX-1 and he really likes it. I also know someone that had the first release of the Cat 4 stroke. Hated the performance but loved the gas mileage and the damn machine was so quiet he wold turn the key on after a smoke stop, and forget the sled was running. Not ever having a Yamaha or a 4 stroke, makes you wonder if its worth putting the money down for what they want. Plus I am a race fan and love to be loyal to my brand, that's why I am such a big PJ and Houle (from years gone by) fan. I end up getting a Yammy, who the heck do I root for at the races, since they don't race 'em. I don't care about the idiots in the WSA, but I do go to the non-WSA races and sure would be good to root for the brand I own. I know that sounds stupid. Yet I would like to try one of those 4-strokes, and as loyal of a Cat fan as I am, see the company going in the wrong direction. However I have had less trouble with my Cat then I ever had with my Polaris's, and not as much trouble as the Ski Doo's. The other problem is a lot of the friends I ride with are Cat people and they may not let me ride with them if I get rid of my cat.
racingatvsleds

Postby Snocross861 » October 21st, 2004, 9:12 am

For some people it matters, and others not so much. It definitely helps someone be reassured that they have made the right choice when their brand does well on the track. I watched Ski-doo beat me on the track with the Rev and I watched other riders improve their skills racing them so I decided to get one and I sped up my racing too. I don't necessarily race a Rev because Blair Morgan changed brands, but because I see Joe Blow doing more with it than any other brand..more than they were capable of on another brand/model. Blair helps too though. He gets a lot of press and maybe more than he should, but you gotta hype up #1 and right now #1 is on a Ski-doo. Ski-doo became the #1 selling brand in 2004? Or maybe it was 2003. Probably not just conincidence, not in my mind.
Snocross861

Postby leelanaumotorsports » October 23rd, 2004, 5:14 am

most people probably don't buy them based on racing results.

They should however be more aware of how racing does affect the sleds they ride.

Sure sleds would be close to how they are now without racing but the manufactures would not have had the pressure to do it "better sooner" or abliity to get good input and information without racing. Even if you don't care about racing, the purchase you make is based on technology and options that came from racing. If joe average did not want a sled to corner fast and feel light and well mannered in bumps he would care even less about racing. But even the guy that is just out cruisin benifits from the go-fast parts,peices and designs.

The REV is a perfect example, the original Indy IFS is legendary for its racing heritage and consumer friendly ride, ZR's dominated many forms of racing and Cat learned how to build good sleds from their racing department.There is no denying it RACING MATTERS to the sport, though it may not matter in everyones desicions to buy.
[b]Ride Hard, Ride Safe.[b]
leelanaumotorsports

Postby Long time cat man » October 23rd, 2004, 9:48 am

Racing will show where a sled's weakness' are and help the manu's to build em better. I remember seeing weakness in the front spindles on early Cat front ends at enduro races. I think Yamaha had the same problem with the front of the RX-1 when they first put em on the ice ovals. Both are built much tougher now! Sno-cross brought better sleds with much more bump absorbtion than the older sleds. Every sled benefits from racing, even if it isn't a factor in what we buy. I think manus even learn a lot from different race people, since some of these racers are probably better than some of the factory engineers when it comes to problem solving.
Long time cat man

Postby WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF » October 24th, 2004, 2:42 am

Racingatvsleds,
I am glad you brought this up. I'm an oval racer turned flag man. If I was looking for a sled to buy, I would watch the sleds come out of corner two and haul a$$ up the back stretch and see which brand has smoke down the straight!!!! I think the manufacturers need to have some of their current models on the track. The average rider wants their sled to pull their buddy's sled down the straight that they ride on. I wish the manufacturers would prepare five sleds for the east and five sleds for the west, and let the snow dust fall where it may! I do feel like oval racing would sell more sleds if they would set up the current models!!!! And the manufacturers should be able to afford this without giving the sleds away. David
DAVID RIEMENSCHNEIDER
WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF

Postby racingatvsleds » October 24th, 2004, 7:16 pm

David and everyone else. I really appreciate your comments. As a racer, possibly a former racer, I always felt like the manufacturers should get more into racing. However as I get older, I now look at what they are doing with the 4-stroke development. Admittedly I have never been a big Yamaha fan, had one years ago, but when I got into racing everything was either Cat or Doo. Now I am impressed with what Yamaha is doing. It's just that I would like to know if the Yamaha's will be tough enough for me. Racing shows where weakness's are. How has Yamaha found out where they are weak when it comes to clutching, and suspension? That's where racing does prove a point. I brought this topic up looking for a reason to justify my moving from Cat and Doo to Yamaha. Thanks everyone!
racingatvsleds

Postby Long time cat man » October 25th, 2004, 2:47 am

From my observatin watching enduro racing, the only dis-advantage I see with the Yamaha's is the weight factor. They still look like they're harder to manhandle in the corners than the 2 strokes, but motor is a big advantage as far as I can determine, since it's pretty much stock, and gets better fuel mileage. The suspension on ice sleds don't have more than 4 in. of travel, so I don't think there's any difference there. I see the 4 strokes getting stronger through a race and pulling in the straights, but I also see the Yammi rider of equal endurance tiring quicker in the corners. It's a toss up! My .02.
Long time cat man

Postby racingatvsleds » October 25th, 2004, 5:04 am

from a fellow long time cat man, I appreciate your .02 worth. However when one looks at the weight, they Yammy's are not all that much more then comparable machines. Plus if I get one it would be to trail ride, and with any machine I would end up putting on optins that would probably balance the weight between the different models. Also regarding weight in the long haul, how are those that ran the 4-strokes at the Soo I-500 going so long without getting exhausted in the corners. To me that would also be a sign that maybe the weight factor when it comes to turning isn't all that bad. Afterall the Soo they are turning the sled on all 4 corners for 500 miles. The racing I did was with the We Screw Anyone on Sno Cross and we sure to heck didn't have to have the physical strength for as long as the endurance ice racers. That's my .02 worth, and appreciate your honest comments!
racingatvsleds

Return to General Racing Board