Subscribe Today

Western U.P. and Northern WI ..Trail Update for 12/27 Check

Use this board to post trail reports in your area only!

Western U.P. and Northern WI ..Trail Update for 12/27 Check

Postby MM700 » December 26th, 2001, 8:54 pm

Here is the truth: LOts of snow in the western U.P and Keweenaw.....the clubs are grooming full swing now....The Bill Nichols trail from Mass city to South Range was groomed twice yesterday, but there is alot of traffic up here so it was starting to get a little rough....Do Not take the new trail from Twin Lakes to Greenland...it's a big mud hole....lot's of snow on it...but lots of mud under the snow, some very wet areas...I got completely covered with mud yesterday (Still a little po'd about that)...also don't ride from Houghton to Chassell..another wet area with lots of rocks...the trails north of the bridge are starting to shape up nicely (Hancock to Calumet)
look for a few wet spots.....heard their was a big wet spot between Calumet and Larium, haven't seen this with my own eyes yet....Ironwood/Hurley areas are grooming from what I have been told...lots of snow there...it starts to get a little thin east of bergland...again lots of wet spots around bergland, and lake gogebic is not safe to ride yet..though I am sure some knucklehead will try it.....one more thing before I go...do not believe the trail conditions coming out of Eagle River WI, I can't say who or what business they run but the dumb (b-word) is telling people to come and ride, when they only have 5 to 7 inches of snow..and the ice is not safe on the swamps and lakes...she's also been telling people that even though the U.P. has more snow, "they are not grooming"...which is a lie folks !!!! WE ARE GROOMING....and we have almost three feet of snow....not 3 inches like Eagle River WI has.
MM700

Western U.P. and Northern WI ..Trail Update for 12/27 Check Here!!!!!

Postby MM700 » December 27th, 2001, 1:03 am

Anybody else need any info ???
MM700

Postby imtoofast K-zoo » December 27th, 2001, 6:42 pm

MM going to Munising the last weekend in Jan. Think it will be okay.It is hard to get a good snow report down here.But we have lots of snow if u want to come down.
imtoofast K-zoo

Postby imtoofast K-zoo » December 27th, 2001, 7:11 pm

Hay there MM we are coming up at the end of Jan First weekend of Feb we are staying in munising.And it is hard down here to get a good weather report, so if u would could u post one mid Jan so I can make my decision. But there is alot of snow down here if u want to come down.
imtoofast K-zoo

Postby Burky » December 27th, 2001, 9:24 pm

I appreciate the reports MM. The Yamaha group is heading to Munising in the middle of January for a ride, bringing up about 35 sleds for a 4 day ride up there. Between you and John Dees, it sure is nice to be able to get solid reports on conditions.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Postby ZR800XC » December 31st, 2001, 9:30 am

Was just up at Munising IM2FASTKZOO...Tons of snow man, TONS. almost 3 feet from Christmas east along 28 to Seney as far as I know. Grand Marais trail is coming along nice with the mudholes getting filled in better everyday. West of Christmas towards Marquette and Ishpeming the snow was scarce, but falling, they got 10" while I was there bringing them up to 15 on the ground...rocks were the main problem over there as it gets more mountainous west of Marquette. Don't get too crazy just yet about riding south of JackPine Lodge, snow tapers off quickly to around 4-8 inches with Railroad Grade Rocks surfacing on the grade....Curtis had rideable snow, but wet spots kept most off the trails down south of there....

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Postby IndyMax7500 » December 31st, 2001, 1:41 pm

The trails on and around Rockland Mi. were excellent They got a little rough in the afternoon, and a couple open water spots in the swamps, but other then that loved the trip up there yesterday ( sun ). The open water spots gave Scott ( viper ) and I ( 02 indy 700 xcsp )a chance to practice lake running. Slow approach then open her up and you water ski it. Let off throttle when track reaches solid ground. We will be back within 2 weeks if we get no snow in Central Wi. Everyone was so nice,.. just an excellent trip :)
IndyMax7500

Return to Trail Conditions