Subscribe Today

1975 Scorpion Whip 440 (Won't start)

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby brandotoao » January 16th, 2003, 9:31 am

Hi
Last winter my snowmobile was running really bad so I parked it, and was working on it alot of the summer trying to figure out what's wrong with the stupid thing. Well, I still have no idea what is wrong, but now I am pretty sure both the coils, spark plug wires, points/condensors and stuff is all good. I get a really nice white spark at each of the plugs. Now the fun. The thing refuses to run. During the summer I was able to start it and it would run for a little while. I figured maybe it was because the gas was old, so I drained the old stuff and have new gas/oil in it now. Still won't run. I've cleaned the carb, and I even bought an old carb on eBay to see if that was the problem. Neither will make the thing run. Does anyone have any ideas? :S :S

Thanks,
Brandon
MSN: brandotoao@hotmail.com
brandotoao

Postby sledwrench » January 16th, 2003, 11:36 am

Do you have any compression? If so, try starting fluid. If it starts right up, its a fuel problem. If not, it may be timing.
sledwrench

Postby brandotoao » January 16th, 2003, 10:24 pm

Yup, it has plenty of compression.. I've tried starting fluid many times, all it seems to do is backfire every once and a while and blow my muffler pipe off... lol

I guess I'll take the engine out again and try to see if I can change the timing around.

Thanks,
Brandon
Brandon
brandotoao

Postby JOHN327 » January 16th, 2003, 11:52 pm

BRANDON TRY SQURITTING GAS IN THE CARB IF IT WILL
RUN KEEP SQURITTING IN THE CARB ENOUGH TO KEEP
IT RUNNING USE OIL AND GAS MIXED SO IT WILL STILL LUBE THE MOTOR LET US KNOW WHAT IT DOES
JOHN
JOHN327

Postby brandotoao » January 17th, 2003, 5:56 am

Well, I got her running! Turns out I had the spark plugs gapped way too far, so it wasn't able to spark under compression I guess. Put them back at .020" and she's pretty much running like a dream. It bogs a lil bit, but she lifted the skis as soon as the revs get up.
Thank you all for your help,
Brandon
Brandon
brandotoao

Return to Vintage Sleds Board