Subscribe Today

83 citation electrical problem

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby Q1000 » February 25th, 2003, 12:24 am

Hello, how is everybody? I have a 83 Skidoo Citation 4500e, my lighting is very dim, I suspect the battery. If anyone can think of another reason for this, I could check it out before going out and buying a new battery. Also is there a way to bypass the battery all together?

Thanks
Q1000

Postby smcelhe » February 25th, 2003, 3:09 am

I'm not positive...but I don't think the battery powers the light. If the light is dim....could be a bad connection or bad ground.

I recently had a probelm with my 95 Skidoo Touring LE burning out the low beam. The dealer I talked to said it could be one of two things....the voltage regulator or a lighting coil (behind the flywheel).

Not sure how the lighting coil works....maybe it could be going bad.

I'd check the connections and ground first. Try running a new ground wire from the light to the frame.
smcelhe

Postby skidoodler » February 25th, 2003, 10:18 am

Your lighting coil produces ac voltage.First check all connections(usually the problem),if this all checks out and you wish to check coil output,disconnect connector at the engine and start it.Find yellow and yellow/black wires(should be paired with green wires)With ac volt meter should be about 17-20 vac at engagement rpm.If this checks out,check voltage at switch feed and then at light plug.Usually if a regulator fails you will blow bulbs due to high voltage,not have too little.(don't rule it out,strange things happen!)Also if your battery is dead and drawing too much power,this could also cause this problem.Although the battery does not power the light,the lighting coil does charge the battery.

*This Message was edited on 25-Feb-03 03:23 PM by skidoodler*
caught in a"BLIZZARD"
skidoodler

Postby sledwrench » February 25th, 2003, 2:11 pm

Maybe the bulb isn't that great. Or the lens for that matter. What does the bulb connector look like. Is the bottom of the bulb nasty looking? Start at the problem and work backwards. If the bulb is good,( ground included ), go to the connector, and on. If you suspect the battery, check the water, specific gravity if able, voltage and charging amps if possible.
sledwrench

Postby citation4500 » March 3rd, 2003, 10:19 am

isnt the lights
hooked up to the alternator thing
377 CC'S OF PURE CANADIAN POWER
citation4500

Return to Vintage Sleds Board