Subscribe Today

Mercury snowmobiles

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Mercury snowmobiles

Postby IndyTrlDlx » December 12th, 2003, 10:59 am

Hey guys, my question is in regards to mercury snowmobiles, from what i here from old timers they were fast as hell, im referring to snow twisters and trail twisters, can somone give me some numbers on how fast, and what what they were like to ride/work on, i am considering buying a 440 snow twister to restore for next winter, any info on these sleds would be great

thanks
Ride Hard Ride Fast Ride Every Day
IndyTrlDlx

Mercury snowmobiles

Postby sledwrench » December 12th, 2003, 11:03 am

Merc Twisters are VERY quick for an old sled. Not very comfortable ride, but a quick one.
sledwrench

Mercury snowmobiles

Postby Ocean State Sled Head » December 12th, 2003, 11:25 am

Bob at Image Enterprises builds some serious 3 cylinder motors for those sleds. Probably faster than a lot of newer sleds.
He even sells fully restored sleds and parts. He has over sixty!

[img]http://www.imageenterprises.com/gallery/pics/1.jpg[/img]

Image Enterprises (Bob Owner)
2162 Vista View Dr.
Eagle River, Wisconsin 54521
Phone: (715) 479 - 7427
Fax: (715) 479- 5372
Vintage Snowmobile Parts
[url=http://www.imageenterprises.com]http://www.imageenterprises.com[/url]
Ocean State Sled Head

Mercury snowmobiles

Postby ZR800XC » December 15th, 2003, 3:58 am

I have a stock 440 liquid merc that all I've done to it is fine tune the clutching for drag racing. I have never been beat on the ice by a stock trail sled 700cc or under. Sometimes it will even nudge out the T-Cats and Mach Zs if they get a bad hole shot....They're FAST

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Mercury snowmobiles

Postby Snojet Steve » December 15th, 2003, 8:10 am

Why did I get knocked for saying my dad had a 76' Trail Twister that topped out at 85 mph. It had some minor updates like the F/A twin pipes and a Comet 100 clutch so i'm guessing it had around 6-7 hp over stock. Not even those new 600 class fan cooled sleds will beat a stock trail twister in a drag. I know, I tried both the Supersport 550 and a 570 Z and they are both pigs. I think my Polaris SS 440 was faster than those things!!

I had a quick ride on a 76' L/C twister but didn't go too far as to say what they are really like. It seemed like a kiddie sled with a rocket motor though!
Snojet Steve

Mercury snowmobiles

Postby sled_king » December 15th, 2003, 11:56 pm

a '75 Merc snow twister (free air) won the vintage 440 class at Beausejour Manitoba 2 weekends ago. any merc s/t will be a rocket! they were built to race.
sled_king

Mercury snowmobiles

Postby kawicat » December 16th, 2003, 4:30 am

if you are looking for a 76 snotwister you better be ready to open your wallet, wide! a decent used one is going for 2000 and up. the really nice ones are over 3000+

the 76 is wicked fast mainly because the chassis is flyweight. these are not trail sleds, race only. one thing to watch out for is the back of the tunnel. they can be cracked or buckled from drag racing.

the 75 is not as light as the 76, but still very fast.

in 76 at eagle river, a merc one every last junior, pro, semi-pro, mod, and women's class, EXCEPT the world championship. yamaha won that.
[[green]RIDE HARD, PLAY HARD, STAY HARD, DIE HARD![/green]
kawicat

Return to Vintage Sleds Board