Subscribe Today

replacing slides....ARRGGGHHHH!

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby gpx433 » February 6th, 2005, 7:20 am

since it hit 57 here in northern wi over the weekend i decided to put on new slides on my gpx,since all the slides have to be trimmed to fit whats the best way to cut them? and how do i bend them to fasten them down on the rail?.i got more skinned knuckles from removing the old ones and trying to get the new ones on than i had in the last year!
gpx433

Postby Wheeler550 » February 6th, 2005, 7:43 am

To trim them, put them in a mitre box and use a hack saw. I'm not sure of the track on your GPX but the silder should fit through the track clip hole. If it does lube it up with WD-40 and knock it on with a mallet from the back of the machine. If not, pull the suspention and lube and knock.
Wheeler550

Postby gpx433 » February 6th, 2005, 9:20 am

i got that far,but the problem is on the front of the rail it has screw holding it down,ithas to bend up slightly,plus it needs to be trimmed there too.
gpx433

Postby Snojet Steve » February 6th, 2005, 10:04 am

If you want to try the slide-through the windows trick you have to at least unbolt the 2 back arms of the suspension. Swing it out from the front arms and you will notice the tension slack off. Then with the tension slacked you can take the slides off. If you have a stubborn slide that won't come off you can put a screw in it. Pound against the screw with a hammer and crowbar.
Snojet Steve

Postby jdavidek » February 7th, 2005, 10:23 am

I had some trouble removing and installing slides on an old Yamaha. When you have to work around the bends, take a Burnz-O-Matic torch and heat it up real good.
jdavidek

Return to Vintage Sleds Board