Subscribe Today

motorcycle engine in snowmobile??

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby must88gt50 » February 18th, 2005, 6:15 am

[green][b] just wondering, has anyone ever put a motorcycle engine in a snowmobile or know anyone that did? over the summer my dad was joking around about me taking his motor off one of his bikes and putting it in the go-kart. its a 1000cc kawasaki.(think he was joking anyways). the other day i said something about it in a snowmobile and he thinks it would be cool, plus you could shift it. i know, so much power, frames not strong enough, but [u]what if[/u]! just want to know if anyone has ever done that before.[/b][/green]
[b]second place is the fastest loser[/b]

[red][b]06 arctic cat 700 EFI 4x4[/b][/red]
[black][b]02 yamaha blaster 200(now 240)[/b][/black]
must88gt50

Postby Pantera » February 18th, 2005, 6:28 am

People have been doing that for years and years. I've got an old issue of Race & Rallye (now called SnowTech) and they re-ran the 1970-71 article from the Speed runs out in Yellowstone where there was a Honda cycle engine in a Cat. The guy was not on a Factory ticket, he did it himself. I've seen others at Vintage shows too. A guy here in MN has 1 of 3 prototypes that Cat did back around 1975-76 with a '76 Cheetah that has a Suzuki cycle engine in it. Only this was not a standard Suzuki engine, it was done special for that application as it DID NOT have a transmission built into it. Just an ouput shaft for the clutch. ONLY 3 WERE MADE!! 1 was destroyed during testing and I think he said he knows where the other one is. The hood was cut-out a little in front of the headlight to clear the motor.
Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Postby steve03052 » February 18th, 2005, 6:31 am

This is what [url=http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/6/sno/22/177/0/yamaha_rx-1_(2005).aspx]Yamaha[/url] thought of your idea. I think it's the motor from the YZF-R1.

But seriously, I think the problem is getting the output shaft connected to the clutch. In a bike (other than a Harley) the output shaft is pretty short, it's only ment to go into a gear.
Steve G
In Southern New Hampshire

73 Elan 250
steve03052

Postby steve03052 » February 18th, 2005, 6:34 am

This is what [url=http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/6/sno/22/177/0/yamaha_rx-1_(2005).aspx]Yamaha[/url] thought of your idea. I think it's the 180 HP motor from the YZF-R1.

But seriously, I think the problem is getting the output shaft connected to the clutch. In a bike (other than a Harley) the output shaft is pretty short, it's only ment to go into a gear. I looked into it back in the early 90's before the 1000cc Thunder Cat came out.
Steve G
In Southern New Hampshire

73 Elan 250
steve03052

Postby sno*jetfreak2 » February 18th, 2005, 6:49 am

I am doing this with a 3cylinder 1000cc Zookie car engine. Turbo(debating this as its bloody $$$) and a custom EFI setup. So it breathes through 3 big holes instead of one small one.

I am just getting an adapter machined up to fit into the engine where the tranny shaft would normally go. I just have to figure out a way of permanently attaching the thing.

If I do it right 125hp and 30-40mpg. Daaaamn. Dry engine weight is around 100lbs all assembled.

My dad actually throught I should keep the tranny and have the drive axles end in gears and hook them to the jack shaft using chains. But damn that would be heavy as hell.
"I find that your American beer is a lot like making love in a canoe, it's ****ing close to water."
Montey Python
sno*jetfreak2

Postby team obsolete » February 18th, 2005, 7:24 am

Vaugn Spurlock out of washburn wi, made many polaris indy's with cycle motors in the 80,s and sold as a alternative to the slow factory sleds of the day!! They were designed With clutch and belt as any ordinary sled and for every day trail use!! they were a common site and very reliable!! Vaughn, is also known for his finding and saving the arctic's speed sleds of the 70's
team obsolete

Postby Uller God » February 18th, 2005, 8:02 am

Talk to Leo Kendal, he dropped a Chevette motor in a Ski-Doo Safari.
Uller God

Postby gpx433 » February 18th, 2005, 10:40 am

a few people did it in this area back in the day,but weren't real reliable.runing off the sprocket to the jackshaft 1-1,thing is motorcycles have way lighter cranks and the clutch's wouldn't hold up,shoot sometimes they don't even hold up on bikes!
gpx433

Postby cory49 » February 18th, 2005, 10:48 am

[quote]Talk to Leo Kendal, he dropped a Chevette motor in a Ski-Doo Safari.[/quote]

haha. im getting hints from previous posts that you dont like the guy...

Cory
[b]Sledless[/b]
cory49

Postby Uller God » February 18th, 2005, 11:27 am

Leo's the best, check out his custom Mach RAVE 377 Safari!
Uller God

Next

Return to Vintage Sleds Board