Subscribe Today

belt measurment, getting pizzed!!!!

The name says is all. Got an older sled? Restoring a sled? Discuss your project with other collectors here.

Postby outagas » February 10th, 2006, 11:08 am

Well, my polaris centurion is suppose to use a 1 3/8 wide belt, well, i went out and bought a cheap after market belt, only to get home, measure it, and find out that it actually measures closer to 1 1/4. pretty big differance I`d say. so needless to say, i took it back, and figured I`d wait till I could come up with enough money to get a OEM belt. well, that was today, so i went right to the polaris dealership, and decided to measure the belt right then and there, and I`ll be damn, it measured about the same 1 1/4. incase your wondering, I`m using a digital mic, so I`m not measuring it wrong, or taking a bad measurment. anyway, on my sled, I`m suppose to have no more than .020 clearance between my belt and clutch sheaves (primary) and if using one these "under sized belts", I`m going to have a huge clearance. infact, acording to what I`ve read, these belts measure about the same as a belt that was past its wear limit would. sure I can take the clutch apart and shim it, but this is really agravating, when simply getting a belt that actually measures correctly would solve the problem.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? have anybody else noticed that the new belts measure differant than they used to? or am I missing something?

Note, I did make sure that the belt part number/s was the correct number belt that I need, and it even said on one of the belts card board wrapers, that it was a 1.38 wide belt, but did`nt even measure close.
outagas

Postby SRX 440A » February 10th, 2006, 1:24 pm

you would want to remove spider shims-not add. how does the belt sit in the 2ndary? how much clearance on the primary with the new 1?
SRX 440A

Postby ZR800XC » February 10th, 2006, 2:42 pm

you're not gonna want to put in spider shims to accomodate for a belt that's too skinny. Your weights will be kicked out too far on engagement and may pull down on your RPM on takeoff. It should be riding down in your secondary way too far if it is a 1.25 belt. This will be bad news too! You are measuring the belt at the top (widest part) right?

Not to say you don't know what belt you should have, but these should be your numbers:
OEM: 3211045
Dayco: 1105 for max or max2 or 1384716U3 for their Ultimax3 model
Gates Xtreme: 38X4730

I find it really weird you have an OEM belt that is new that doesn't spec out as this belt was used until very recently in the XLT triples and the 97 XC 600. Belts for sleds this new would have to pass quality control and 1/8 would never fly... Even though Polaris changed their OEM part numbers, the belt measurements were the same. If you still can't find the right belt, try and get one for a 97 XCR 600, it should work...OEM# 3211066

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Postby outagas » February 10th, 2006, 4:52 pm

My bad, i meant they measure closer to 1 5/16, maybe slightly under.
the after market belt i bought measured 1.32 and it was a 1105.
Today when I was at the polaris dealership, I measured a 321105 and what they called the improved belt that would work on my sled which was a 3211066, and both measured exactly the same 1.30 ~ 1.32, depending on where i measured the belts at. at any rate, at best, they measured out to be a 1 5/16, not a 1 3/8. however, i have an old belt that I had for a spare, and it measures 1.34, so i geuss I`ll just hope my old belts holds up for awhile, because all the brand new ones including a two oem belts I`ve measured, all measure more narrow than my old belt.

And yeah, I`m measuring the top/widest part of the belts.
the guy at the counter thought I was crazy when I got out my mic tool, and started measuring the belts, until he seen what they were measuring out to. he did`nt have an explanation for it either, but said he would check on it.
outagas

Postby ZR800XC » February 11th, 2006, 3:30 am

Is it possible your calibration is off on your digi-mic? I used to have an XCR that took the 3211066 belt, I'll see if I have any of those layin' around and take a measurement. I know I have some OEM and aftermarket Storm belts, but these are 1.4375" wide belts I think. At least I'll measure them and see.

ZR800XC

Postby outagas » February 11th, 2006, 5:49 am

[quote=ZR800XC]Is it possible your calibration is off on your digi-mic? .[/quote]
I thought about that too, so I got out a tape measure, and compared it, and it apears to be dead on. when i had bought that 1105 belt, I did measure it with the tape also, and got the same thing. it came out to about a 1 5/16. this is why I`m getting so agravated, it almost dont even seam posible, but honest to god, i cant find a dang belt, that actually measures what thier suppose to.
outagas

Postby nitrofa340 » February 14th, 2006, 7:02 am

I share your frustration. I run a Dayco Max2 1082 on my Rupp F/As, and even when new, these belts mic out at 1.20. The 1082 is listed as a 1 1/4 wide belt.
nitrofa340

Postby ZR800XC » February 14th, 2006, 2:02 pm

as far as the 1082, you could run an Untilmax3 which should have tighter tolerances, but is 3/16" shorter...1254320U3. I've found the Gates Xtreme belts are better. You could use the 25X4320, which is 1/4 inch shorter. Just the way the chaincase bolts on your 340 F/A you could make it work with little to no modification. Plus if you're drag racing, the shorter belt may suit you better. Especially if the deflection is too much with the 1082. Or you could swith to 1 3/8" set-up and run an OEM belt from a Z-X chassis Ski-Doo...I've found OEM belts have tighter tolerances...You have to just keep trying different stuff until you find what fits nice and will work best.

ZR800XC

Return to Vintage Sleds Board